Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

H to leave?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Who perceives that?

From most of the comments I've read about this issue from across all clubs supporters on Bigfooty, Herald Sun etc the prevailing opinion is that there was nothing homophobic about the graffiti and Lumumba massively overreacted and is a flog.

This perception of homophobia is an interpretation of about two people on this forum only. I'd hardly call it a cloud hanging over the club unless you're into hyperbole.

^^ Yeah nothing to see here. Just a bunch of uppity poofters having a vent.

Yeah, the club haven't swept this under the carpet and denied its a problem to avoid public embarrassment after making a big thing of signing onto the AFLPA/AFL anti-homophobia campaign. Its all that yahoo lair Lumumba's fault...Nothing to see here, nothing to see....

An here we see the most offensive language used in this discussion on Nicks by a person supposedly supporting those who MAY?? have been offended by what was written on the poster.

This gives us true insight into your real qualities. Irrespective of your own sexuality this is not acceptable language at any level.

Facetious I know, but by golly, if I had used the dreaded P word, id be shouted down by H and RR no end. Rolling Eyes Shocked

Of course you would and rightly so.

Nick's is a snapshot of modern Australia; we have our social conservatives, our knuckle-dragging, right wing extremists, our lefties and our social progressives.
We have I suspect, a number of gay members who will find Heritier's stand on homophobia an outstanding example of the changes happening within society. Over 70% of the population now supports marriage equality and footy clubs are beginning to reflect this too.

If there are gay Collingwood players currently on the list, they would be mighty thankful a man like H would stand up even if they feel they cannot. Now, I don't know if there are gay Collingwood players, but there have been in the recent past and there are bound to be a couple of gay staff in an organisation the size of the Collingwood Football Club and these people can't help but be impressed and energised by men like H taking up the challenge.

The pathetic, knuckle-dragging homophobes that inhabit Nick's't will just have to put up with it.

I respect your opinions Neil and often find myself agreeing with you, but on this matter I beg to differ. I admire Heritier for taking a principled stand on a range of social issues, including homophobia. However, I am disappointed at the way he has chosen to do so by attacking good people at our club, on numerous occasions, when not everyone sees things the way he does. I'm beginning to think he is somewhat of an egotist. Somehow it's got to be about him all the time. I realise he has some deep seated emotional issues, since he has told us he has. However, despite being at a club where he has been supported, even after launching personal attacks of officials and coaches, it appears he has decided our club is not good enough for him. To Heritier, all I can say is good luck finding a better club environment. You won't know what you've lost til its gone.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
To Heritier, all I can say is good luck finding a better club environment. You won't know what you've lost til its gone.

And that's the rub isn't it. H may have to find that out the hard way.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:22 pm

Can you please rephrase that with fewer ideas, or different thoughts?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 pm

RudeBoy that's an excellant point, I'd forgotten about his mid year hiatus.

And 7167, you've hit the nail on the head, most don't care about another's sexuality. Gees it's 2014, can't we get past all the differences and just be one people? It's pretty sad in any walk of life if you have to hide something about yourself like this.

I've said it before, and I really believe, he needs to get out of footy. Harry has given me some great moments I'll treasure, that sliding YEAH in the grand final after his goal. When we all knew it was ours. His crazy hair flying as he burned down the wing, his knees pumping high like pistons. I'll be seriously sad to see him go. Even worse if he goes out like others, playing for a lesser club. Just can't quite believe it's come to this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:38 pm

David wrote:
piesnchess wrote:
damn shame, ive never heard of any player walking out on the club he loves over this type of issue

Me neither. Blokes like him don't come around too often. Our loss.

That is interesting that we have never heard about any player with this issue before, wonder why not?
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:01 pm

The Tarrant affect its called....Tarrant couldnt wait to come back to collingwood...
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:51 am

woodys_world69 wrote:
The Tarrant affect its called....Tarrant couldnt wait to come back to collingwood...

Peter Moore, two brownlows, always has said his biggest mistake in footy was leaving the Pies and going to the Deeees. H will indeed learn the hard way I feel. Rolling Eyes Sad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:55 am

While we all have our own views on things, there are players that want H to stay, and even Eddie hopes they can keep him there but if they have to move him on they will. The club dealt with the matter their way, Buckley met with H, Eade told the players that it wasn't acceptable.

I'd assume if there was a homophobic culture that there would have been reports of it, and there would have been something done. At present there has been two issues brought forward Seedman's nickname and the poster.

In the stands I am certain there's still an issue with homophobia judging by the stuff yelled out, not so much the players. In the past I am sure there was a lot of homophobic remarks and those were encouraged by many, these days we're seeing more civilised comments used as sledges.

I believe the only real issue with the club right now is a bit of immature humour on Twitter, and around the club. I guess if it doesn't hurt anyone and isn't racist or homophobic it's fine. Yeah H took offense and they were told it wasn't acceptable.

Whatever else happens from here on in we have to deal with, I admire the hell out of H, I wish him luck in life and in football whether it's as a Collingwood player or not, would love to see him back playing good footy as a Magpie though.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:07 am

One more perspective on this. For me, the real problem is that H is trying to impose his personal / political views on the club. Let's say that another player has strong political views opposed to immigration, or views Anzac Day as a militarist event. Would that player be justified in taking offence at fairly mild remarks made by those with different views, and threatening to resign?

We live in a pluralist society, where people are allowed to hold many views, and expected to collaborate despite them. You might agree with Harry's personal sensitivity with regard to sexual orientation. But will you be so staunch in defence of a player who assertively pursues an agenda does not coincide with yours ?

My attitude when an employee takes offence about certain matters that most people will brush off as inoffensive,is that it's their prerogative - but it subtracts from their value as an employee.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:23 am

Mugwump wrote:
One more perspective on this. For me, the real problem is that H is trying to impose his personal / political views on the club. Let's say that another player has strong political views opposed to immigration, or views Anzac Day as a militarist event. Would that player be justified in taking offence at fairly mild remarks made by those with different views, and threatening to resign? .

You're wrong

He was trying to insist professional Australian workplace practises be enforced!
slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 am

1061 wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
One more perspective on this. For me, the real problem is that H is trying to impose his personal / political views on the club. Let's say that another player has strong political views opposed to immigration, or views Anzac Day as a militarist event. Would that player be justified in taking offence at fairly mild remarks made by those with different views, and threatening to resign? .

You're wrong

He was trying to insist professional Australian workplace practises be enforced!

In which Australian workplace would an employee be allowed to physically hurt another person?
Jump into their back, sledge them, get into a melee with etc....?

Football clubs are not a standard workplace.

How many workplaces would a boss (coach) be permitted to yell and scream at his workers (players)?

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 am

slangman wrote:
1061 wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

You're wrong

In which Australian workplace would an employee be allowed to physically hurt another person?

How many workplaces would a boss (coach) be permitted to yell and scream at his workers (players)?

Some perspective. well put.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 am

slangman wrote:
1061 wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

You're wrong

OK Given during and after match this happens.

But walk with me here, little Johnny or Janey Smith who is doing work experience at the Club is asked go to the room where this poster was and to give X Y and Z players a memo. Little Johnny/Janey is mid to late teens and is attracted to the same sex suddenly see's this poster and panics, hands over the memos but he/she never goes back to Collingwood.

Later at school it comes out about the poster and Collingwood is marked as an unsafe working environment for people on work experience!
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 am

I guess if the Victorian WorkCover Authority can probe Essendon over the supplement program and go through other clubs I guess that would suggest an AFL club is a workplace.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:33 am

1061 wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

You're wrong

Agree completely. But there is also a professional and productive way to go about raising concerns. By most accounts, including his manager's H overstepped the mark and not for the first time. While H has every right to insist on a professional workplace and club culture the club has every right to insist its players meet expected standards of behaviour as well and to move players on that can't meet those standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 40 of 57   

Jump to: