Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Posting with permission from Eddie

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribe, I liked your post and the subtext and nuance behind it. Save the metaphors and similies for a Eng Lit class though, they're wasted around here Laughing
Scribe 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:21 pm

It would seem that way Wokko, thanks mate.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:00 pm

John Wren wrote:
Scribe wrote:
Indulge me for a moment while I try and explain to you why the Ponsford end has been quiet this year.

I want you to think about Collingwood fans like a wife. If Collingwood was the husband, we were the woman by its side.

During tough times (70's and 80's heartbreak, the wobbles, the 90's) we stuck by our man through thick and thin. Near misses only fueled our love. We embraced our simple surroundings at Victoria Park, we accepted that the club was like any other - having no God-given right to be at the top of the ladder every year.

The longest darkness was followed by the brightest of lights in 1990. But not before long, we returned to the struggle. It's what we had become accustomed to.

We didn't need the flashy things. All we needed was the black and white jumper and a bit of hope.

Then someone came along and promised us more.

We wanted more, so we listened. We believed.

Our dilapidated home in Dandenong was being sold and we were moving to Toorak. The Datsun was being traded in for a BMW (or Lexus). We were going to do things better, Collingwood was going to become what we had always dreamed about.

The husband delivered on the promises.

After the foundations were built and finals had become an expectation, rather than a surprise, 2010 happened.

2010 happened in a way that made us all believe we would be in for a dynasty - we had forgotten how much luck was involved. We had forgotten the penance you usually have to pay.

In 2011 we came close, but we were seemingly not broken.

Then, and this is the important part, our relationship with our husband changed.

We became accustomed to a certain style of living and during 2012,2013 and most painfully, 2014, we were not ready to go back to what we were before.

This happens all the time. The loyal wife sticks with you through thick and thin, then after you show her a life with a mansion, a BMW and all of life's perks - she changes.

I go to the football because I love Collingwood. But the truth is - almost everyone at the Ponsford end is quiet because we changed.

We're always told by our husband that we're better than everyone else. We have more money. We have more success. We have better plans. We have better people.

Then, we go to the football and we no longer see it. We don't have the best people. If we have more money, it's being wasted. Our injuries and recuiting tell us we have fallen behind the pack. If we have better plans, I don't see them.

We're coming down in lifestyle. It's a tough thing to go through. There is very little reason to be excited about Collingwood.

I now feel like a trophy wife. Not dealing well with the thought of moving back to Dandenong.

Our husband promised us more than this because he loves us... and still they promise, even though a harsh truth would always be better.

Passion, noise, numbers - these things don't come and go because of a loud-o-meter, dancing group or different banner (although, those three things are incredibly embarrassing) - they come with desperation.

We stopped being desperate. The players stopped being desperate. We reached the mansion, got comfortable and now the empire has crumbled.

I'll buy my legends membership again next year, I'll go to another 15 games... but I'll accept that things won't be as good as I remember. It will be tougher to get excited and make noise.

Because we don't do a lot to make noise about any more.

The rabidness has dwindled.. and it's a natural demise.

You know what will bring it back?

Not new initiatives, not louder clappers, not new hooded jumpers for the cheer squad... it's just time.

Time to realise that once again, our expectations have to go down.

You can be disgruntled about the coach, you can be disgruntled when 85% of our list try to attempt a simple drop punt to a teammate... and yes, things may get worse before they get better... but I can assure you, the one thing that will bring back the noise is desperation.

The passion for the rest of us comes in the climb, not in the fall.

so, what you're really saying is that we are all bogans. fair enough.

good analogy. very thoughtful.

will this new active area go some way to removing the instances of having to put up with seeing a miserable, sulking looking joffa on the mcg scoreboards and tv whenever we are trailing? like it or not, that is a terrible representation of the club and its supporters.

Ok I've seen that face too. I also remember him posting earlier in the year about trying to find his passion again.

I'm guessing some of this stuff has been in the works for around a month. Why do I say that? Because the last month, the couple of matches where we were beaten, but trying so desperately hard, players dropping like flies, and way too many supporters leaving in droves, Joffa stood out, stood tall, and got everyone chanting. The big guy with the voice tries so hard, but when it was Joffa doing it, the crowd responded. So Joffa, whatever made you find your passion again, good stuff, well done.

I'm bay 30 -31, please don't take my seats! I yell I cheers, and I ll stand up to be counted.

Ps the 80% thing put forward by someone is a great idea.

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:45 pm

That's a great post Scribe.

Thank you.

It wasn't wasted on me mate.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:48 pm

no one doubts the passion joffa shows but we all see the less passionate moments thanks to the cameras. in an active area like that has been proposed how will the momentum be sustained across 30 minutes over four quarters? the guys up the back seem to be able to sustain it but with more people involved invariably you might have a harder task keeping it going. what's going to happen the minute we get flogged?

please don't think i am knocking the idea cos i think it is a good one and i would love to see more people to involved. also, how will this transfer across to etihad?

Scribe 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Quote:
Breadcrawl: That's a great post Scribe.

Thank you.

It wasn't wasted on me mate.

Thanks mate.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:36 pm
Post subject: HmmmmReply with quote

We've decided not to go next year! This business of breaking up the cheer squad into three fragments seems totally silly! You have not explained why it is so essential! Again a break with tradition! The very thing that has killed the Collingwood as we knew it! Now look! Panic and more silly decisions! How about a real decent Social Club and a recognition of our real home ground Victoria Park! Joffa I know you are trying but the failing of our club is much bigger than the puerile attempts to fire the lost spirit with renaming parts of our seating arrangements and banners! The MCG was never and will never be a ground for Pies fans. It is a lonely cold expensive place that the corporate types are trying to tell us we should find our passion in! Joffa breaking up the cheer squad is blatantly silly! Sorry old chap . We need a fans administration at Collingwood that recognize our past holds the answers to our future
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:12 pm

John Wren wrote:
no one doubts the passion joffa shows but we all see the less passionate moments thanks to the cameras. in an active area like that has been proposed how will the momentum be sustained across 30 minutes over four quarters? the guys up the back seem to be able to sustain it but with more people involved invariably you might have a harder task keeping it going. what's going to happen the minute we get flogged?

please don't think i am knocking the idea cos i think it is a good one and i would love to see more people to involved. also, how will this transfer across to etihad?

Good point, the guys up the back should be given a special standing room in the middle of the bay, they are awesome!

blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:34 pm

King Monkey wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
STOKA35 wrote:
Port now have the never tear us apart at the start of the game which has taken off for them.
Maybe we could do something similar or the slow collingwood chant scarve wave before the game starts?

Great suggestions mate and thank you, We have probably decided that the long slow Collingwood chant is best left to the last quarter as a victory chant..Cant wait to get it going next year :)

Agree with this regarding the slow chant.
It losses it's potency when tried all the time.
Big moments in big games ONLY, in my opinion.

At the risk of repeating myself - let's try ZERO artificial noise leading up to the bounce. At least try it, this is how it used to be.
I guarantee the crowd will make the atmosphere down our end!!

What about the long, slow and LOUD Collingwood chant starting consistently, about 90 seconds before the first bounce, as a regular entrance to a Collingwood game for the opposition and their fans. In the same way that the 'Walk Alone' moment for Liverpool fans or the 'haka' moment for All black fans works, as it's special, it's unique, it's envied by opposition fans and it hasn't hurt those 2 teams results over the years.

But please, no song!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Hey yeah just do the Hakka! We got the tatt twins!
Big T 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Awesome, well done Joffa
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:46 am

John Wren wrote:

Etihad is a waste of space, Its a bullshit stadum!

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:01 am
Post subject: Re: HmmmmReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
We've decided not to go next year! This business of breaking up the cheer squad into three fragments seems totally silly! You have not explained why it is so essential! Again a break with tradition! The very thing that has killed the Collingwood as we knew it! Now look! Panic and more silly decisions! How about a real decent Social Club and a recognition of our real home ground Victoria Park! Joffa I know you are trying but the failing of our club is much bigger than the puerile attempts to fire the lost spirit with renaming parts of our seating arrangements and banners! The MCG was never and will never be a ground for Pies fans. It is a lonely cold expensive place that the corporate types are trying to tell us we should find our passion in! Joffa breaking up the cheer squad is blatantly silly! Sorry old chap . We need a fans administration at Collingwood that recognize our past holds the answers to our future

Let me be perfectly honest Hiss from someone who has been on the inner for nearly fifteen years, The Cheer Squad killed off itself on the basis many people dont and never realised what the cheer squad was all about. The club over the years has bent over backwards in trying to get the Cheer Squad up and going and where are we now ? Low numbers, No noise, No passion, We who have failed in the Cheer Squad owe the club an apology. Its amazing that those who have spent a decade criticising the Cheer Squad are now criticising this new idea. But thats how it goes i guess, Many people cant and dont comprehend change. The cheer Squad has not been broken up so to speak it has become two bays bigger with a more inclusive name..The Barrackers End Smile

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:05 am

blackandwhite4life wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
STOKA35 wrote:
Port now have the never tear us apart at the start of the game which has taken off for them.
Maybe we could do something similar or the slow collingwood chant scarve wave before the game starts?

Great suggestions mate and thank you, We have probably decided that the long slow Collingwood chant is best left to the last quarter as a victory chant..Cant wait to get it going next year Smile

Agree with this regarding the slow chant.
It losses it's potency when tried all the time.
Big moments in big games ONLY, in my opinion.

At the risk of repeating myself - let's try ZERO artificial noise leading up to the bounce. At least try it, this is how it used to be.
I guarantee the crowd will make the atmosphere down our end!!

What about the long, slow and LOUD Collingwood chant starting consistently, about 90 seconds before the first bounce, as a regular entrance to a Collingwood game for the opposition and their fans. In the same way that the 'Walk Alone' moment for Liverpool fans or the 'haka' moment for All black fans works, as it's special, it's unique, it's envied by opposition fans and it hasn't hurt those 2 teams results over the years.

But please, no song!

Im listening to ya mate and we have tried it but it just does not work pre game, I know that the pre match 2010 Pre lim and Grand Final was unique on the basis of the event..Home and Away games are a little different Smile

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:07 am

think positive wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Scribe wrote:
Indulge me for a moment while I try and explain to you why the Ponsford end has been quiet this year.

I want you to think about Collingwood fans like a wife. If Collingwood was the husband, we were the woman by its side.

During tough times (70's and 80's heartbreak, the wobbles, the 90's) we stuck by our man through thick and thin. Near misses only fueled our love. We embraced our simple surroundings at Victoria Park, we accepted that the club was like any other - having no God-given right to be at the top of the ladder every year.

The longest darkness was followed by the brightest of lights in 1990. But not before long, we returned to the struggle. It's what we had become accustomed to.

We didn't need the flashy things. All we needed was the black and white jumper and a bit of hope.

Then someone came along and promised us more.

We wanted more, so we listened. We believed.

Our dilapidated home in Dandenong was being sold and we were moving to Toorak. The Datsun was being traded in for a BMW (or Lexus). We were going to do things better, Collingwood was going to become what we had always dreamed about.

The husband delivered on the promises.

After the foundations were built and finals had become an expectation, rather than a surprise, 2010 happened.

2010 happened in a way that made us all believe we would be in for a dynasty - we had forgotten how much luck was involved. We had forgotten the penance you usually have to pay.

In 2011 we came close, but we were seemingly not broken.

Then, and this is the important part, our relationship with our husband changed.

We became accustomed to a certain style of living and during 2012,2013 and most painfully, 2014, we were not ready to go back to what we were before.

This happens all the time. The loyal wife sticks with you through thick and thin, then after you show her a life with a mansion, a BMW and all of life's perks - she changes.

I go to the football because I love Collingwood. But the truth is - almost everyone at the Ponsford end is quiet because we changed.

We're always told by our husband that we're better than everyone else. We have more money. We have more success. We have better plans. We have better people.

Then, we go to the football and we no longer see it. We don't have the best people. If we have more money, it's being wasted. Our injuries and recuiting tell us we have fallen behind the pack. If we have better plans, I don't see them.

We're coming down in lifestyle. It's a tough thing to go through. There is very little reason to be excited about Collingwood.

I now feel like a trophy wife. Not dealing well with the thought of moving back to Dandenong.

Our husband promised us more than this because he loves us... and still they promise, even though a harsh truth would always be better.

Passion, noise, numbers - these things don't come and go because of a loud-o-meter, dancing group or different banner (although, those three things are incredibly embarrassing) - they come with desperation.

We stopped being desperate. The players stopped being desperate. We reached the mansion, got comfortable and now the empire has crumbled.

I'll buy my legends membership again next year, I'll go to another 15 games... but I'll accept that things won't be as good as I remember. It will be tougher to get excited and make noise.

Because we don't do a lot to make noise about any more.

The rabidness has dwindled.. and it's a natural demise.

You know what will bring it back?

Not new initiatives, not louder clappers, not new hooded jumpers for the cheer squad... it's just time.

Time to realise that once again, our expectations have to go down.

You can be disgruntled about the coach, you can be disgruntled when 85% of our list try to attempt a simple drop punt to a teammate... and yes, things may get worse before they get better... but I can assure you, the one thing that will bring back the noise is desperation.

The passion for the rest of us comes in the climb, not in the fall.

so, what you're really saying is that we are all bogans. fair enough.

good analogy. very thoughtful.

will this new active area go some way to removing the instances of having to put up with seeing a miserable, sulking looking joffa on the mcg scoreboards and tv whenever we are trailing? like it or not, that is a terrible representation of the club and its supporters.

Ok I've seen that face too. I also remember him posting earlier in the year about trying to find his passion again.

I'm guessing some of this stuff has been in the works for around a month. Why do I say that? Because the last month, the couple of matches where we were beaten, but trying so desperately hard, players dropping like flies, and way too many supporters leaving in droves, Joffa stood out, stood tall, and got everyone chanting. The big guy with the voice tries so hard, but when it was Joffa doing it, the crowd responded. So Joffa, whatever made you find your passion again, good stuff, well done.

I'm bay 30 -31, please don't take my seats! I yell I cheers, and I ll stand up to be counted.

Ps the 80% thing put forward by someone is a great idea.

Fantastic Smile And Thank You

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: