Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is it time for Buckley to go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it time for Buckley to go
yes
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
no
85%
 85%  [ 80 ]
Total Votes : 94

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:34 am
Post subject: Is it time for Buckley to go?Reply with quote

Someone had to do it, so I'm doing it. I don't really want this to be about WHY he should or shouldn't go, there are other threads aplenty for that. I will say that it would sadden me greatly to see such a great Magpie legend go out on such a note, but the time has come for decisions, whether we like making them or not. Clearly there is a groundswell of opposition to his continuing as coach, and I'd like to see what the people here think.

PS: this is my first poll so forgive me if I f*ck it up Smile

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless we're the Tigers or the Saints, no.
Az 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:40 am

I say not YET. He effectively promised today that we are going to be a much better team next year, and has our premiership window in 3-5 years. Kind of steps on what Pert said last year that we would win a flag in the next 3 years, but at least Bucks has finally come out and publicly put some responsibility on himself instead of the players or the entirety of the footy club for once. If we go backwards again next year and don't show signs of building again, then I think it's time to call it a day.
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:42 am

No. As I've said elsewhere if it was my call he gets the next half season. Then we need to see some footy improvement. We need this team going forward, not backwards.

Otherwise we need to at least explore who is available and if there is a better option.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:54 am

Pert said within 3 years starting this season all the while expecting to remain in serious contention within the top 4.

Buckley said within 3 to 5 years which simply isn't good enough from where he started from.

Geelong having won 3 flags, are second on the ladder and remain in flag contention once again, a position they've held since 2007.

Buckley has one more season to have us back playing finals, playing a far better brand of football, one which is capable of displaying the ability to knock over top 4 side like the hawks on our best day.

If we are playing the same awful football this time next season then it's time to go.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:57 am

Not until he sees out his contract, we are not basketcases like saint vomit, or tigerland, or any of the other rabble teams, eg doggies.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:02 am

I'd give him a 2 yr extension now, so everyone knows there's stability. This season has been ruined by injuries. I'm one who is in Bucks' corner.
Az 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:03 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I'd give him a 2 yr extension now, so everyone knows there's stability. This season has been ruined by injuries. I'm one who is in Bucks' corner.

Like the one he got earlier in the year? Wink

Last edited by Az on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
TK Leo

Yeah lets sack him for making us lose five of our best six players - Seriously do you honestly think we were a chance this year - Top ten draft pick coming again, some trade bait. We are still in 2006. Just relax and enjoy the ride.
swoop42 Virgo

He was already given an extension earlier in the year.

Sure as shit ain't getting another one again now.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:06 am

swoop42 wrote:

Buckley said within 3 to 5 years which simply isn't good enough from where he started from.

I wasn't sure if he said we'd contend in 3-5 years or over the next 3-5 years.

He definitely said that while we didn't expect to be at the top this year or next, he still approaches the season with high expectations, otherwise the players can accept mediocrity.

Medieval 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:26 am

Here's my opinion on why we should keep him, whether you want it or not.

His first year he had brand new assistant coaches because the previous lot got jobs as senior coaches or left (Neeld - sacked by Melbourne, Watters - sacked by Saints and Brad Scott - not done much in 5 years at North). He started from scratch, in terms of coaching group material. We made top 4 in 2012, which is acceptable for him, given we lost the GF the previous year. Sydney, Hawthorn and Freo were on the up and Geelong still there. 2 of them ended up playing in the GF. All 4 have youngish lists with some older players with only a few years left. All of these players are 30 or over or turn 30 next season.

Hawks - Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lake, Gibson, Burgoyne
Swans - Goodes, Richards, McVeigh, Malcelski, Shaw, McGlynn.
Freo - Sandilands, Pavlich, Mundy, McPharlin, Duffield, Crowley, Johnson.
Geelong - Bartel, Enright, Stevie J, Kelly, Mackie, Stokes, Rivers, McIntosh, Lonergan

FYI, Swanny is our oldest current (not inc. Maxy) player by 90 days at 30y 173d over Bally at 30y 83d.

We've lost players of that calibre in the last 3 years (Jolly, Didak, Krak, Leon, Daisy, Heater, LBrown - Ret., BJ - Ret., Tarrant - Ret., Presti - Ret.), some retired and some we "got rid of" (or traded). Getting rid of them was the right call because we needed to set up our future, rather than leave it too late (keep in mind that none of the players we "got rid of" got picked up by other clubs, so 17 clubs agreed we made the right call). Bucks has also had a shocking run of injuries during his first 3 years with Beams, Brown, Reid, Ball, Macaffer, Freeman, Scharenberg (although we knew he was injured when drafted) and Swan either missing a large amount of games, the whole season or playing with injury in the last 2 years, not to mention players missing a few weeks here & there, which can be managed. These are not excuses, these are reasons, partially. There are questions around us, no doubt. What is Bucks' gameplan? I don't know, but it's hard to implement a gameplan when you consistently have injuries.

I ask you this; Even if we won our last 2 or 3 games and finished 5-7, do any of you really think we could win the flag? Sydney, Hawks or Freo will win the flag this year. We are either in front of them or behind them, depending on how you look at it. We are behind in the sense that they are contending for a flag and we aren't but we are in front in that we are building for the future and will be prepared to contend for the next 3-6 years (2016-2020) when they have lost their core of superstars and rebuild. There is more to this game than coaching, so let's not just call for Bucks to be sacked. It's not that easy. Firstly, I'd like to see us go back to basics for the next 2 weeks. Man on man when defending and break and run and spread when attacking. No more zones. Pressure. Tackle. Shepherd. Play for each other. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. If you agree, fine. If not, why? What solution do you have rather than "sack Buckley"? Sacking Bucks would only make us look stupid and short sighted as no one in the professional football world would consider that Bucks should be sacked because of all the reasons I mentioned earlier. Let's have a discussion and look for answers, rather than scapegoating the coach. And lastly, I'm not saying Bucks is perfect. He's made some mistakes on game day and in selection, but he's learning. He's also advised by assistants that (apart from Burns) are also inexperienced. Consider all of these things before jumping to conclusions.

And no matter what, GO PIES!

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:58 am

Most rational people aren't questioning Buckley's ability to coach because we aren't going to win the flag this season it's because we have been so hopelessly inept for the second half of the season in implementing what you say you'd like to see over the next two weeks, the confusion over exactly what the hell our game plan is from week to week and deplorable skill level.

People were questioning some of these same aspects of our game last season as well so it's not exactly like some of the problems we see now are new.

This is why people naturally have concerns with the direction we seem to be heading and why we need to improve next year and see a cohesive game plan taking shape that is obvious to all, a much more balanced performance from one week to the next in terms of our level of effort, increased skill levels and an obvious attempt in improving our shocking rate of injuries for the past 3 seasons.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect vast improvement next season from a coach in his 4th season.

This is how it's meant to go.

Where not Richmond after all and ninth isn't our domain.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:02 am

I voted no because of the wording of the poll. If it had said "should he go at the end of the season" I would have voted Yes.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:27 am

Must see out 2015. But there can be no excuses for another fall next year.
Since the first bye when we were 8-3, we have won 2 games of football & are last or near last in all the important stats. We are playing like a bottom 4 side not a top 4 side & if our coach wasn't Bucks, then the knives would be out in huge numbers. For instance - If our senior coach was Lappin (who some seem to blame for everything) there would not be one of you who would be saying he needs more time if the circumstances weren't exactly the same.

In 2015 we need to see a committed football team that are all pulling in the same direction.

We need to see a fix for the inept attempt to lock the football in our forward line when we score a behind. Because right now it is comedy hour & opposition coaches must laugh their arses off at how easy it is to slice through what we call our zone & score down the other end.

We need to see a fix for the amount of uncontested ball we allow the opposition. Basically teams go coast to coast without us touching the footy or laying a tackle with monotonous regularity week after week after week. Nothing is ever recognised as a weakness & acted upon. We do the same dumb shit week after week & get the same result.

After 2015 - NO MORE EXCUSES.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12   

Jump to: