Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Patrick Smith on Buckley/McGuire/Malthouse & Hird/Thomps

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
One of the worst "journalists" going 'round.

You mean one of the best surely?

Smith is provocative to be sure, but he is a terrific writer, and like Caro, doesn't worry about being in the Boys' Club like Robbo and many others. I've always thought Smith and Caro were near the top of the journalistic tree and I stiil think so. Greg Baum is another: he's a considered, thoughful wordsmith.

So here we are with a pro-Collingwood, pro Eddie and pro-Buckley article and still it's not good enough! I really thought this one might pass muster.......oh well.

Smith renounced his club, Essendon in 2011 and cut up his membership card after the prolonged lies told by the club, Mark Thompson and James Hird as they readied to join Essendon after denying it for a full year. He was especially dark on Mark Thompson's behaviour as was everybody at Geelong.

I agree with what you say about Smith & Caro & their writing (most of the time).

Smith cancelled his membership of the dons as you said but I'd include amongst the reasons the manner in which Knights was treated when the club was telling deliberate porkie pies re Hird & Thompson.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Nope, I don't have an Australian subscription, I'm not sorry to say.

Neither do I. As someone said early in the thread, if you put the article title in google, you can bypass the paywall.

Always pays to read something before you pass judgement on it or dismiss it. Wink

That doesn't work for me. Confused

Please post alternate link.

SuperSwede 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:25 am

35forever wrote:

Never, since 1930, has a team had a better shot at 4 in a row. Eddie bet that shot on Buckley and lost. Case closed!

Surely you cannot be serious about this? When I was a kid Melbourne were minor premiers six years running in an era when everybody played everybody else twice. Not that the minor premiership means all that much but in the same period they also had six consecutive grand finals appearances for five flags. It was only our win over them in 1958 which must rate as one of the major upsets of all time which stopped them from winning six flags in a row. They were a 4-5 goal better team than us any day of the week except for that glorious September Saturday. If they had concentrated on playing football instead of trying to be physical with us they probably would have won.
It also seems to me that Brisbane had a decent crack at 4 in a row a few years back, but in the end couldnt pull it off.
And you want to rate these efforts behind your speculations as to what might have happened if we had not had the succession plan and instead kept Malthouse on as coach.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:42 am

Okay, Superswede, you got me. That Demon side was awfully good, but then what happened to them? They sacked one of the great coaches and hired a novice from the club. They haven't managed to get close to a Flag in the 50 years since. And that Brisbane side, yeah, they had a great coach...How stupid must the side who let him go feel! Does this mean triple flags for Carlton? Shite, I hope not!!!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:50 am

No. Carlton will get rid of him next year. I'm thinking round 5.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Matthews was largely responsible for the late 90's doldrums that the club found itself in. Shaw inherited an old list full of one time premiership players well past their primes who should've been used as trade bait when Matthews was coaching them. It was Shaws fault that he didn't bottom out and turn the list over immediately instead he let the slow inevitable decline just play out and set the club back years.

Voss inherited a list from Matthews in a similar situation to Shaw and made the same mistakes Shaw did. Matthews was a great player and coach but an ordinary list manager.
SuperSwede 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:58 am

35forever wrote:
Okay, Superswede, you got me. That Demon side was awfully good, but then what happened to them? They sacked one of the great coaches and hired a novice from the club. They haven't managed to get close to a Flag in the 50 years since. And that Brisbane side, yeah, they had a great coach...How stupid must the side who let him go feel! Does this mean triple flags for Carlton? Shite, I hope not!!!

Yeah, they were a seriously good side with a seriously good coach. There is after all a reason why the award to the best player in the GF is called the Norm Smith medal. In fact if not for Melbourne the 50s could have been a super decade for us with perhaps 3 or 4 premierships.
But if this super team could not manage 4 in a row, I guess it underlines what a super effort Collingwood made when we achieved that.
Carlton 3 consecutive flags ? No way, more likely 3 wooden spoons, but that would really be a wet dream come true.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:15 am

SuperSwede wrote:
35forever wrote:

Yeah, they were a seriously good side with a seriously good coach. There is after all a reason why the award to the best player in the GF is called the Norm Smith medal. In fact if not for Melbourne the 50s could have been a super decade for us with perhaps 3 or 4 premierships.
But if this super team could not manage 4 in a row, I guess it underlines what a super effort Collingwood made when we achieved that.
Carlton 3 consecutive flags ? No way, more likely 3 wooden spoons, but that would really be a wet dream come true.

Hahahaha remember that HUGE wooden spoon some supporter took to the footy the day they one it for the 1st time lololololol!!!!

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:17 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
No. Carlton will get rid of him next year. I'm thinking round 5.

He might get the boot next year... maybe... but it'll be way beyond round 5.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 am

Of course. It wasn't a prediction, just a hope.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:27 pm
Post subject: Re: Patrick Smith on Buckley/McGuire/Malthouse & Hird/ThReply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
For me getting in Ball and Jolly was the right thing to do period but how Pert has tried to play it it's as if the succession plan was the only reason Mick went that way.

I also don't know if it was the succession plan that forced MM to draft Ball and Jolly but by the same token, he had 10 years where we struggled desperately in the ruck department and it was only after the succession plan was locked in that he actually recruited a quality ruckman in Jolly.

What would have been the outcome in 2002 and 2007 in particular if we'd recruited a quality ruckmen?

I know, we recruited Wood and Bryan and Fanning and a few kids in that period, but never a quality established ruckman.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:43 pm

Flashman wrote:
Matthews was largely responsible for the late 90's doldrums that the club found itself in. Shaw inherited an old list full of one time premiership players well past their primes who should've been used as trade bait when Matthews was coaching them. It was Shaws fault that he didn't bottom out and turn the list over immediately instead he let the slow inevitable decline just play out and set the club back years.

Voss inherited a list from Matthews in a similar situation to Shaw and made the same mistakes Shaw did. Matthews was a great player and coach but an ordinary list manager.

Agree, bit like Lyon. It's all about the here and now without any consideration of the long term. Look at St Kilda. Look where Freo will be an a couple of years with their aging squad. You can paper over the issues with a few FA players (ie: Carlton, Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn) but ultimately all you're doing is delaying the inevitable and where does that leave you if you can't actually get the ultimate prize.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Sorry my eye is not attached right now.
orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:17 pm
Post subject: patrick smith articleReply with quote

hermie wrote:
the excuse for 2011 was we had one extra tall in our backline because j pod getting injured threw the structures out,personally if i was coach i would of grabbed leroy at 3 quarter time and said your on hawkins do what it takes to stop him getting the ball both their last games at the club go out on a high

Does everyone forget that although that last round match against Geelong meant NOTHING to us and yet, we played all our good players without resting anyone. Does that smack of arrogance by Mick or just stupidity. Geelong was known to have rested players through the year. But not US.

And his non moves in the Grand Final on the backline opened the game up for the cats. We were good enough to win that Grand Final.

People should not forget that.

And YES someone should have shown a bit of mongrel. It was all or nothing.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:28 am

The old handover topic's been done to death but I'll add my 2 cents worth. I've always believed the week before the 2011 GF had the greatest bearing on the result. We had an epic battle to overcome Hawthorn which surely had a negative effect on our physical condition. Meanwhile Geelong casually brushed aside a cooked West Coast who hardly gave a yelp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: