Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The proposed new Active Area

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:48 pm
Post subject: The proposed new Active AreaReply with quote

I love the fact the club has acknowledged a problem and is taking steps to fix it.
Behind the goals, in fact the whole Ponny should be filled to the brim with rabid Collingwood supporters every week instead of being half empty!!

Regarding this proposed Active Area - if it's done properly it could possibly work.
But if not done properly it could be an unmitigated disaster!!

I'm not aware of any details - but it sounds like the plan may be for a whole bay or even 2 bays with multiple "chant leaders" strategically positioned to get people involved.
What I believe we don't actually need, is more contrived prompting to support.
Support, including chanting and singing - comes naturally.
If this comes in, once the gloss of a new experience wears off, for some it will get really annoying being expected to sing & chant when they don't feel like it.

I come from the angle of someone who loves to make noise at the footy, and likes a witty ditty.
("Me & me mates" Very Happy av come up with some truly great, but also some truly awful songs!! : lol: )
But I also understand people like to support in their own way, and not everyone likes to sing at the footy.

My personal opinion is that rather than introduce this "Active Area" as such - the Cheer Squad should be expanded and given reinforcements, with the surrounding areas being occupied by Collingwood supporters who turn up every week.
The noise and support becomes infectious when an area is close to full, those surrounding naturally join in and come along for the ride anyway.

Hopefully the balance is found, and there's no need to move the regular attendees on from their seats.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Monkey 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Would enjoy your opinion on the above Joffa.
It sounds like the Active Area is your idea, and you seem to have Eddie's ear regarding this topic.
Cheers.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 pm

King Monkey wrote:

If this comes in, once the gloss of a new experience wears off, for some it will get really annoying being expected to sing & chant when they don't feel like it.

Snap. You want people in there like your mob up the back who want to make noise and can do it together with a degree of spontaneity. The chant leaders in the cheersquad don't work, because it's forced and people don't join in.

I went to the VFL final on Saturday and sitting back watching, I was stuck by how often and how long the crowd was silent. Just the humming noise of conversation, until something actually happened on the field that warranted noise, then it happened. And it was good.

Just one further comment, I aint moving from my seat unless they get me something better.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 pm

King Monkey wrote:
It sounds like the Active Area is your idea, and you seem to have Eddie's ear regarding this topic.
Cheers.

I seriously hope this is not some soccer derived fantasy. Both Ed and Joffa are fans of soccer, I'm not.

What works at a soccer game will not necessarily work (and I'm being kind) at AFL because the game and audience are different.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

Snap. You want people in there like your mob up the back who want to make noise and can do it together with a degree of spontaneity. The chant leaders in the cheersquad don't work, because it's forced and people don't join in.

I went to the VFL final on Saturday and sitting back watching, I was stuck by how often and how long the crowd was silent. Just the humming noise of conversation, until something actually happened on the field that warranted noise, then it happened. And it was good.

Just one further comment, I aint moving from my seat unless they get me something better.

You obviously weren't sitting near me then!! Throwing in a few yells for old times sake (my wife thought I was crazy, I said sorry but its the Pies.. I can't help it...). Mind you, some mad man was standing in front of our stand ranting all game.

King Monkey 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I seriously hope this is not some soccer derived fantasy. Both Ed and Joffa are fans of soccer, I'm not.

What works at a soccer game will not necessarily work (and I'm being kind) at AFL because the game and audience are different.

^Agree with the sentiment Stui. (Although I am a fan of soccer.)

I'm not trying to start a slanging match here though - I genuinely want what works best for everyone.
Hopefully people can table some good ideas that may be taken into account by those making the call.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks for bringing up this topic King Monkey. I was about to start a new thread about this until you beat to me it as I felt it warranted a thread of its own as a result of what was discussed last night at the fan forum.

Personally I haven't reached a clear and decisive position on this idea of a proposed 'active area'. To be honest I'm quite weary of how it will work and I'm fearful that it may backfire and drive passionate supporters out of the Ponsford end if people don't necessarily want to be a part of the active area but nevertheless want to sit in the Ponsford end because they're passionate about the club in general. For example, I'd find it quite difficult to move elsewhere apart from level 1 of the Ponsford end because a lot of my mates sit in the same area as I do and strangely enough it seems like heaps of people know each other around here hence there's a little community that's developed in this area of the ground.

Member 7167 also brought this up in Neil Appleby's fan forum review thread about how he's always been sitting in the Ponsford end along with his family since we moved over there permanently at the start of 2005 and how it would be difficult for him and his family to move elsewhere without a viable alternative as friendships and familiarity of the area has been established for him. Personally, his thoughts resonate with mine unless I'm persuaded that the 'active area' will be able to retain passionate fans who sit in this area and proves to be a successful idea as a whole in making the area louder, vibrant and passionate.

In regards to the idea of an actual 'active supporters' area I think we need more consultation and information about it until we can provide a more informed and rational opinion on this initiative that Eddie is discussing. I like the fact that Eddie acknowledges that the cheersquad is in need of a serious revamp and that we need a buzz in the Ponsford end but I attribute the decline in numbers in the Ponsford end is because of poor team performance especially in the second half of the year and the fact that many don't show up whatever it may be. I also attribute this to crap scheduling of matches this year and some may feel disillusioned about the wider AFL competition which is much more evident this year amongst the average footy supporter. I would be very annoyed if I lost my privilege to sit in the Ponsford end despite attending nearly all Victorian games in this area at the MCG so I'd like to think that those who've attended a certain number of games are entitled to retain their seats at the very least if Eddie wants an overhaul of the area. I hope our membership scans have been kept on record to demonstrate that some of us have sat in this area rain, hail or shine to support the team whether they've played good, bad or ugly football. I know that I've had a whole row to myself at certain times this year as well so my loyalty and passion for the team shouldn't be questioned.

Personally I like your thoughts on the matter King Monkey as you've emphasised in your opening post. I think the cheersquad needs to be expanded, requires more flags than it does and for crying out loud at least make some noise. The boys up the back do a way better job with chanting and creating passion which always gets the heart pumping when I hear them getting the faithful pumped up. I wouldn't even mind seeing the CS expand a bit into either m31 or m33 if it needs to occur just so we have more floggers and it looks a lot bigger in size and presence.

If the club allowed members who sit in the bottom deck a vote on this right now I'd be voting 'no' based on the current idea that we don't know enough about this 'active supporters' idea. Also I'd hate to see passionate and devoted fans lose their reserved seats in the bottom level of the Ponsford end because other members don't grace their presence at the game regularly and the Cheersquad is unable to do anything about its decline and ineptness to match opposition cheersquads.

I'm open-minded about this but at the moment it's too ambiguous for me to support this initiative despite Neil saying that the majority were in favour of this initiative last night at the meeting. I'm also a massive fan of soccer (football) but I don't think an 'active supporters' group necessarily works in an Aussie Rules crowd environment as opposed to a soccer crowd environment. Eddie needs to be careful about this as this could result in disillusioned members if they lose their reserved seats.

I'd like to hear Joffa's thoughts on this as Eddie's been discussing this idea with him apparently in recent times.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Good comments Jezza.

BTW, it's 'Wary" not weary. Wink

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Good comments Jezza.

BTW, it's 'Wary" not weary. Wink

Cheers Stui! Smile

I just noticed the error when I was re-reading my post again Embarassed

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey, you noticed the error, that reinforces my opinion that you're a smart kid. Wink

Monkey, I'm with you. I don't want to start a slanging match about soccer v Aussie Rules, it's been done to death and back for no good result.

The identified problem is that the Ponsford stand is supposed to be the Collingwood stand, yet compared to other teams our cheer squad and the surrounding bays suck when it comes to vocal support for the team.

the proposed solution is some yet to be scoped "active area".

Sounds to me like there is a shitpile more work to be done in both problem definition and solution design.

Tyke 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:25 pm

I understand that the idea won't sit well with some people as they might be moved from their usual seats.

An active area won't work for AFL. Especially when everyone is sitting down. It might have a hot start due to the novelty but wont last.

The middle bay behind the goals and the then the bays either side of it (so 3 in total) should be "GA Members only". First in best dressed for those 3 bays. Have an area designated for a traditional "cheersquad" but if you choose to go in that area rather than the surrounding options, you will be expected to create colour, noise and potentially get involved with banners/flags/standards etc.

Every MCG game these 3 bays will be jam packed with Collingwood members who want to be there. In the core of the 3 bays will be an improved cheersquad and as someone mentioned in a previous post, the noise will filter out amongst those bays and hopefully spread further.

Ideally I'd love all of L1 Ponsford to be GA for Collingwood Members so that it is always full but I understand that this wouldn't happen. Also would be great if Collingwood fans didn't lend there memberships to opposing club fans. I'm a big fan of segregation in certain areas and L1 of the Ponsford is one of them.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Good and constructive comments by all contributors. Km, i do listen for the chants created by your group. They are a highlight.

The Ponny is quite by our normal standards. This year is by far the worst i have experienced and the scheduling in the latter part of the season has not helped.

Certainly something needs to be done and the club need to lead the way. Consultation needs to take place and the last thing I am sure they would want to do is alienate Captains and Legends members.

P.s. The AFL also need to get the umpiring under control as the blatant actions by some umpires is beyond contempt and detract from the enjoyment.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:03 am

King Monkey wrote:
Cheers.

Enjoyable reading as usual mate and thank you Smile

Since 1999-2000 The year i joined up on Nicks Board cant remember exactly when it was now, I have always regarded Nicks Forum as a wonderful oppertunity to spread and participate in ideas and innitiatives for the betterment of everyone, Some have worked many have not, Many heated discussions have taken place but we have all been able to walk away as comrades.

I'll get back to you in a couple of days in more detail but let me say no one will be removed from their seats thats not what this is all about, infact its all about coming together in support for collingwood Smile

Nothing negative with this idea its all positive and good fun
Cheers KM

Brenny 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:25 am

stui magpie wrote:
Hey, you noticed the error, that reinforces my opinion that you're a smart kid. Wink

Monkey, I'm with you. I don't want to start a slanging match about soccer v Aussie Rules, it's been done to death and back for no good result.

The identified problem is that the Ponsford stand is supposed to be the Collingwood stand, yet compared to other teams our cheer squad and the surrounding bays suck when it comes to vocal support for the team.

the proposed solution is some yet to be scoped "active area".

Sounds to me like there is a shitpile more work to be done in both problem definition and solution design.

I know one bloke who sits not too far from the 'cheer squad' and who is in the first few rows.

He pretty much said to me... try kicking him out of his seat and there will be trouble. Where are they going to put him, level 4?

Personally, I think the cheer squad is redundant anyway. It doesn't inspire me and doesn't make me want to cheer and chant.

Actually... that might just be the problem with the cheer squad right there.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:55 am

I remember some thirteen years ago here on Nicks Board when just about everyone said it was stupid and a waste of time to try and get the Long Slow Collingwood Chant happening.

Last edited by joffa corfe on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: