Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The adelaide advertiser..THE DAILY NEWSPAPER..loved us.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 1:00 pm
Post subject: The adelaide advertiser..THE DAILY NEWSPAPER..loved us.Reply with quote

I just got a phone call from a port power supporter in adelaide to let me know that monday's edition of the adelaide advertiser had a story and 2 pics about the collingwood cheer squad on sat night at football park.
And apparantly it's a great story with the headline reading THE MAGPIE ARMY CAME THEY SAW AND THEY CONQERED.

He is sending me a copy by post.

can some one get it from the net and post it cause i cant im a computer retard...LOL

There is nothing in life greater, than to be a supporter of our beloved collingwood football club,we must remain united,we must stand tall,we must be prepared to fight for our glorious black and white for we are the ENVY OF ALL NATIONS.'YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE'
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 10:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the Advertiser's web-site but couldn't find the article, so I went to the State Library in Melbourne and photocopied the article out of the paper.

I've typed it out for you all, in full. (Aren't I nice?)

There were also two pictures, one showing the team singing the Club song with the cheer squad and another showing us waving flags etc, with Kerri, Frankie, Narelle and Sheree very prominent.

It's not too bad a write-up, taking into considerationm the fact that it's written from an S.A. perspective for an S.A. audience.

Some of the "facts" are a bit interesting, shall we say.

For example, where did they get the information that the "Magpie Army" consisted of 2,500 people?
God, I hope they all turn up this week!!!

The writer also said that there were 200 official cheer squad members at the match which, of course, is nonsense. But let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Generally, I'd say the writer loathes us ... but respects us.

Well, here goes:

HAIL MAGPIE ARMY

They came, saw and conquered.

By Nikki Tugwell

Nathan Buckley’s gesture after Saturday night’s stunning win against Port Adelaide aptly symbolised the unification an unruly motley crew in faded playing guernseys had harped upon all night.
After rounding up teammates, President Eddie McGuire and officials, Buckley charged to the southern end where they linked arms, faced their cheersquad and belted out “Good Old Collingwood Forever”. These 200 members of the official Pies cheersquad had both annoyed and fascinated those within earshot throughout the thriller.
Quite often turning to Port’s supporters, they would yell, “The Magpies. United. We’ll never be defeated”, punching the air to emphasise each syllable.
Closely resembling soccer hooligans minus the destruction and thuggery, they make Port’s mob look like Sunday school teachers.
The Pies ensemble, with a social category of its own, thrives on the mockery its bizarre behaviour provokes.
Firing off insults is the Magpie fans’ hallmark. Who can forget the reaction to their taunts in 1993 of Nicky Winmar lifting his jumper in defiance and responding “I’m black and I’m proud.”
As you pan their block of seats at Football Park, one punter stands while everybody sits, swaying in a graceful trance appearing to relive Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock.
Another lass, partially unsighted by her fringe, whips her body into a flag-waving frenzy to the point where police are forced to warn her about the risk of injury to bystanders.
The “Collingwood, (clap clap clap) Collingwood” chant starts up and is met by Port’s counter chant of “Fruit Loops (clap clap clap) Fruit Loops”.
“We’re the real Magpies,” comes the cry from Power fans. “And wouldn’t you Power supporters love to have Buckley”, is the reply as a slow, drawn-out “We hate you Powerrrrr” erupts.
The environment is intoxicating and these seats, with a heavy presence of police, security and S.A.N.F.L. redcoats, are the best in the house for entertainment.
It is no place for the faint-hearted and seemingly worlds away from the caviar-eating soiree Football Park housed the previous week.
Call the Magpie Army what you will but not once did they turn on each other or their players.
Others of the black and white persuasion gravitated towards the cheersquad and have an instant rapport just by the colours they wear.
The red carpet is rolled out and they are welcomed to the cult. Most official squad members bused over on Friday night after about 3-4 meetings through the week to plan and make the run-through banner – the message of which assumes top secret status.
On Saturday night it read: “They beat the others. They did it well. Now they’ll taste black and white hell.” And on the other side: “Port supporters moan and groan but the Magpie name is ours alone.” Despite the trading of insults there is respect between the club which Mark Williams once captained and the one at which Nathan Buckley was reared.
Then there is the Magpie name connection, and of course, the key common thread that so many loathe Port and Collingwood.
“We’re the teams you love to hate,” Pies cheersquad president, Kerri Baptiste said. “You love us or you definitely hate us. There is no middle ground.
“There used to be a real alliance with the two clubs. When we would come over and play the Crows, we would go and watch the Port Magpies. When we play the Crows you get Port Adelaide people supporting Collingwood. We know they would have preferred to have been the Magpies but we were there first. It’s our name and there’s 100 years of tradition there. You can’t just walk in and become something that already exists.”
The bus trip helps foster a team environment, says Baptiste, who with McGuire has prioritised unifying the non-exclusive Magpie Army (of about 2,500) previously comprising factions, breakaway groups and a notorious unofficial squad.
So the Versace-suited McGuire and boys’ gesture to join the black-and-white circus post-game tops off a most memorable trip for the Collingwood cheersquad whose passion and devotion would undoubtedly do any club proud.

From the (Adelaide) Advertiser, 21st May 2001

**floreat pica**

2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 11:08 am

Alf, thanks for the effort. It made great reading.
Just one thing ... is that by-line for real? Sound like it would be a good pseudo for one M Sheahan !!

GO PIES

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 2:10 pm

Yeah, thanks for that! Great reading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Unwitten Law]-[RATM]- [Rammstein]-[One Dollar Short]-[Linkin Park]-
[(HED)P.E.]-[Frenzal]-[28Days]-[Millencolin]-[Limp]-[Pennywise]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: