Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A few points from tonight's meeting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

King Monkey wrote:
Why do some of you even follow a football club?? Let alone Collingwood??

I had some of my questions answered in the first 5 mins without having to even ask them. Ed knows we have issues.

Did some of you expect a full detailed presentation on the gameplan, the financial leger, marketing strategies and negotiating tactics??!!!!!!!!

For the cynical - even if you are correct about it being a PR stunt, at the very least it made supporters feel like part of it all, rather than being "customers" consuming a product.
If that was the only thing to take out of it (which it wasn't), that'd make it a successful night.

We wanted heads on sticks, and fires and stuff.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Defender wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
Why do some of you even follow a football club?? Let alone Collingwood??

I had some of my questions answered in the first 5 mins without having to even ask them. Ed knows we have issues.

Did some of you expect a full detailed presentation on the gameplan, the financial leger, marketing strategies and negotiating tactics??!!!!!!!!

For the cynical - even if you are correct about it being a PR stunt, at the very least it made supporters feel like part of it all, rather than being "customers" consuming a product.
If that was the only thing to take out of it (which it wasn't), that'd make it a successful night.

We wanted heads on sticks, and fires and stuff.

I love that kind of stuff!!!

No seriously, so nothing was mentioned about lifting our game day coaching standards? Or personal responsibility? On another point.. our skills, people (in house and out of house) were mentioning conditions, circumstances (crowd conditions blah blah), etc, was anything mentioned about lack of skills due to not coping with pressure (kick well at training, murdering the ball in a game), and how that would need to be addressed?

Sorry if these things have already been mentioned...

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Sorry Jackcass; Eade said Freeman "pinged his hamstring" a couple of weeks after Freeman got injured. Any scans would've been undertaken by then.
According to rumour, Freeman re-injured his hamstring a couple of times so perhaps Davoren was referring to a later injury.

Stand corrected.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks to all who attended for the comments. Good stuff.

I followed the night on Twitter and Facebook but it's great to see so many sensible people who attended having positive things to say.

I haven't met Neil, but I have met King Monkey (see him every morning n the mirror Wink ) and young John Wren and neither are dills, both are astute football people not just an empty avatar on a bulletin board.

So, I'm personally feeling a lot more comfortable about where we're at than I was. Kudos to the club for putting the evening on and thanks again for the commentary from those who attended.

BTW, which of you wrote this? http://titusoreily.com/attending-collingwood-fans-forum/

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:12 pm
Post subject: Re: A few points from tonight's meetingReply with quote

King Monkey wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
1. Eddie suggested that the cheer squad seating must change.
Asked for a show of hands: who would be willing to give up their reserved seat on bottom level of Ponnie so that a Supporters Collective could sit there making a sea of black and white rather than the current set up? Majority agreed. I think we can expect change.

A group of 8 of my family members have taken up residence in M35 since the opening of the Ponny. We chose this area during the initial open day despite it being exposed to the elements as it is where the action is between the point post and the race. We move there from N10.

My immediate family of 4 very rarely miss a home or away game at the MCG. We sit there in the rain, hail or sunshine. We all wear Black and White and if anything I am too vocal.

There are people around us who also never miss a game and I even see them amongst the crowd in the interstate games. Many have become friends over the years and there is always plenty of talk amongst the various family and groups in the immediate vicinity.

So the club is thinking of moving us on for a supposed more active general admission crowd. Good luck with that.

Yes, the Ponny has been a bit dead of late. There are a number of contributing factors. One way of fixing it is to not disenfranchise your loyalist and most active supporters/members.

You'd hope that they'd monitor scanned entry patterns and determine who have been active attendees before shifting the diehards.

This MUST be the case. Only move the people that don't attend a certain % of games.

I completely agree with you guys. It would be very unfair if devoted club members lost their seats in this area despite demonstrating that they're regular attendees on match day.

I've mentioned this in more detail on the 'active area' thread.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Defender wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Defender wrote:
The succession plan was supposed to ensure sustained success, well done Edd.

So in your Mind. Both Ed and Bucks should get away from the Club. ASAP?

What's done is done, but we need to ensure it never happens again, Edd overstepped the mark when he hired Buckley, coaching appointments are not the responsibility of a president, but as I said what's done is done, but 2015 is Buckleys last chance to make his mark, if Edd doesn't see the forest through the trees after another failed year he can **** off too IMO.

I don't want to derail this thread with an old argument, but there is no such thing as a successful succession plan unless the person being "succeeded" is happy to go.

Look at Federal politics. Hawke agreed on a succession plan with Keating, reneged on it so Keating challenged him...and was criticised for being disruptive and disloyal. Howard reneged on a succession plan and instead of challenging him Costello went down with Howard's ship. Was Costello praised for his loyalty....no he was bagged for being gutless. You can't win either way. Doesn't matter whether it is football or politics, the only succession plans that work are when the incumbent is happy to retire.

Kosh 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 pm
Post subject: Appreciate the reporting NeilReply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
You are all welcome.

Regarding the injury report and in particular the soft tissue injuries, Bucks spoke about needing to compete with the leading clubs. He and Decca spoke of the mature bodies at Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn and Freo.

Bucks said last year Port exposed our lack of run. Our young guys didn't have the tank to run to both ends of the ground and cover the 15-17 kms per game as required. An increased training load was needed. This year we were still trailing the top clubs despite the increased load.

Bucks said that we still need to work harder to develop the 'tanks' to compete and that we were still a year of two off being able to match it with Sydney and Hawthorn.

Interestingly, and tellingly I thought, Derek Hine was full of praise for Fasolo (as was Bucks), Kennedy and Sharenberg. Hine said Scharenberg was a 10-12 year player and that we would see his on-field and off-field class soon enough.
Hine and Bucks said Kennedy was not able to produce consistently under pressure and that his endurance was not up to scratch yet, but that he was 'elite' in many other areas.

In a lighter moment, Buck's brought the house down after a supporter asked Hine why they were recruiting so many midgets. Hine began by saying the midgets were basically late term picks and had cost us nothing. Bucks broke in by saying the only reason we had recruited Mason Cox from the USA was to improve the team's average height.

This was no papering over the cracks effort tonight. I was very impressed with Ed and Bucks, particularly in their honest answers to the many questions asked. Pert and Eade had very easy nights as did Justin Reeves.

Another interesting part of the night was when Bucks discussed the late picks in the 2013 draft. We didn't get James Stewart and he really hopes he does well, but we got Langdon and Marsh. Bucks surprised me with his praise of Marsh. Now yes, I saw Marshy in some early games and got excited, but Bucks said he arrived as a forward who thought he could play mid and had become a running defender who would do well. Bucks stopped himself from getting too excited by the prospect of a running skillful Marsh, but he hinted that we were in for a real ride with this kid.

Interesting points made about Fas, BK, Marsh etc. I will have trust the Gaffer re Fas, but after watching Marsh and the Berg in the twos this year I can heartily support the high praise for both of them.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Dr Pie wrote:
Defender wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Defender wrote:
The succession plan was supposed to ensure sustained success, well done Edd.

So in your Mind. Both Ed and Bucks should get away from the Club. ASAP?

What's done is done, but we need to ensure it never happens again, Edd overstepped the mark when he hired Buckley, coaching appointments are not the responsibility of a president, but as I said what's done is done, but 2015 is Buckleys last chance to make his mark, if Edd doesn't see the forest through the trees after another failed year he can **** off too IMO.

I don't want to derail this thread with an old argument, but there is no such thing as a successful succession plan unless the person being "succeeded" is happy to go.

Look at Federal politics. Hawke agreed on a succession plan with Keating, reneged on it so Keating challenged him...and was criticised for being disruptive and disloyal. Howard reneged on a succession plan and instead of challenging him Costello went down with Howard's ship. Was Costello praised for his loyalty....no he was bagged for being gutless. You can't win either way. Doesn't matter whether it is football or politics, the only succession plans that work are when the incumbent is happy to retire.

I'm also more than annoyed over the years at some of the language sprayed around here at Tony Shaw and Matthews. Tony Shaw is a premiership champion captain and Matthews is a premiership coach. They deserve better treatment as does Mick Malthouse as our former premiership coach. So if Buckley fails will he cop the same merciless treatment dished out against the others. And now we come to Eddie. He was brave to make the call on Malthouse's career. Personally I thought it was the correct call as Malthouse had peaked as a coach. Many others agreed. So far it's not working out, but footy is a funny game. It could all turn around next year or we could continue going backwards.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Yarra Falls End wrote:
Some asked why we hadn't replaced Geoff Walsh.

It was about the only time Eade spoke for the night and said that he basically took over Walsh's position, Harvey took his job and Burns took Harvey's job

You see I have some problem with this.

So basically we've gone from wanting to appoint a 3 time premiership coach with decades of experience to the coaching directors role, had to settle for a former senior coach in Eade who had moderate finals success and now it's Harvey as a senior assistant who's less experienced than Buckley.

I just can't see how this is best practice for a football club striving to be the best.

Essendon had Thompson, while even the hawks with arguably the best senior coach in the game still appointed Ratten as an assistant.

None of our assistants have ever held a senior coaching gig and while this doesn't necessarily preclude a side winning a flag it certainly isn't what was imagined back at the end of 2011.

I would have thought we might have looked to revamp our coaching panel this off season but so far I'm not hearing anything that makes that seem likely.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:45 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Yarra Falls End wrote:

It was about the only time Eade spoke for the night and said that he basically took over Walsh's position, Harvey took his job and Burns took Harvey's job

So basically we've gone from wanting to appoint a 3 time premiership coach with decades of experience to the coaching directors role, had to settle for a former senior coach in Eade who had moderate finals success and now it's Harvey as a senior assistant who's less experienced than Buckley.

I just can't see how this is best practice for a football club striving to be the best.

Essendon had Thompson, while even the hawks with arguably the best senior coach in the game still appointed Ratten as an assistant.

None of our assistants have ever held a senior coaching gig and while this doesn't necessarily preclude a side winning a flag it certainly isn't what was imagined back at the end of 2011.

I would have thought we might have looked to revamp our coaching panel this off season but so far I'm not hearing anything that makes that seem likely.

I totally agree with you Swoop, I don't think Ratten is that bad.. but still I wouldn't ever hire him as a head coach - he's a good clubman.

I don't think much of most of our coaching staff unfortunately, but it's hard to see who would be able to fill that role for us (other then Thompson, or maybe Matthews... or dare I say it, MM (lol)), all three of the people I have pointed out, would be just about impossible for us to get... so who else fits the bill, realistically?!?

Buck's head is on the line, so if he wants to save it, he better think very carefully about it, and use every power at his disposal for us to improve... and our coaching was found lacking, its a plain but simple fact, luckily there is no salary cap on coaches yet, so we can do something about it!!

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:50 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Yarra Falls End wrote:

Good points. The level of experience in the coaching box these days is quite alarming. The club needs to looking to improve this for next year or we might be going nowhere again in 2015.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:44 pm

Defender wrote:
2012 Buckley blamed our culture (you know, the culture that just got us to back to back GFs).

2013 Bucks blamed our fitness.

2014 Bucks blamed our injuries which were caused by searching for this fitness.

What will he blame in 2015? The kids?

When will he blame himself?

Another fail in 2015 and he'll find himself sounding out C7 for a comments gig, no ifs, no buts, get it right or **** off!

That sounds about right.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:56 pm

I just can't believe that people are so keen on keeping Buckley, yet NO ONE is excited about 2015. NO ONE thinks were a premiership chance, and EVERYONE who knows the game knows it'll be more of the same. I know we'll be looking for a new coach this time next year (if not sooner), so why not now? We have no problem dumping guys like Mooney & Yagmoor who actually had very good seasons in the Magoos, but the coach? The one person who can make a difference? No, we have to keep him! It would be disloyal not to!

2015 will be remembered as the year Melbourne finished above us for the first time this century!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:01 pm

35forever wrote:
I just can't believe that people are so keen on keeping Buckley, yet NO ONE is excited about 2015. NO ONE thinks were a premiership chance, and EVERYONE who knows the game knows it'll be more of the same. I know we'll be looking for a new coach this time next year (if not sooner), so why not now? We have no problem dumping guys like Mooney & Yagmoor who actually had very good seasons in the Magoos, but the coach? The one person who can make a difference? No, we have to keep him! It would be disloyal not to!

2015 will be remembered as the year Melbourne finished above us for the first time this century!

wtf? speak for yourself. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:10 pm

35forever wrote:

Do not agree. We will improve next year and will get into the 8. You bathe in the light that you were right and the Pies didn't make the 8 this year but in your own mind you know that if the team had not been so badly affected by the injuries we would have been well and truly entrenched in the finals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: