Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A few points from tonight's meeting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:29 am
Post subject: A few points from tonight's meetingReply with quote

1. Eddie suggested that the cheer squad seating must change.
Asked for a show of hands: who would be willing to give up their reserved seat on bottom level of Ponnie so that a Supporters Collective could sit there making a sea of black and white rather than the current set up? Majority agreed. I think we can expect change.

2. Banner. Ed said it was dead and buried. Old style to return.

3. AFL Draw: Ed said the AFL had virtually guaranteed a better draw for Collingwood.

4. During Ed's address he stated very forcefully that the AFL draw had cost Collingwood $1 million this year.

5. Ed said that we should be in no doubt that he is fighting hard for Collingwood and its supporters, but sometimes he needs to concede ground in order to get what he wants. Port being allowed to wear their stripes this week is a case in point. Ed said that for the good of the game he agreed even though, Port, the AFL and Collingwood have signed a contract that Collingwood is the only club to wear black and white.

When the AFL or MCC waves contracts at Collingwood as a reason to not do something, now Ed can wave the Black & White Stripes Contract and say, we give ground in spite of contracts.

ALSO

In response to a question as to why Collingwood allows Melbourne to take the gate for every Queen's Birthday Game when everybody screws us, Eddie said something very interesting....albeit reluctantly. We give Melbourne the game and the gate, we get 18 games at the G. Seems like this was part of the long term deal to get Collingwood as the major MCG tenant.

6. I asked Justin Reeves a question (off mike) about the on-selling of tickets.
He said that Collingwood would trial a two game sell-back system next year. Legends and other reserved seat holders could nominate well in advance if they weren't using the tickets and the club would be able to re-sell them.
He said Essendon had tried a similar system but that it hadn't worked.

7. Eddie said that the Collingwood dancers played a part in promoting the club away from match day. Instead of players having to attend certain events, sometimes a Collingwood presence could mean the dance troupe attending instead.

8. Collingwood was insisting it have more match day control of scoreboard and entertainment.

9. Open bar provided at end of meeting. Nice touch.

The meeting started at 7:35 and finished at 10pm with an open bar. Ed, Bucks, Decca and Justin Reeves stayed for questions and photo ops.

** At the beginning of the night Ed was impassioned as he spoke of Collingwood coming under attack via the AFL's Equalisation Scheme and asked members to not protest by 'not buying a membership'. Ed said the AFL had already taken the the money from the gate and that membership was a way of safeguarding income for Collingwood.

More to follow.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the summary of the night Neil. Some very interesting points that you've mentioned that were discussed tonight.

In regards to point one I don't entirely understand what you mean. Are you saying that those with reserved seats in m28 to m36 (Ponsford end) would lose their reserved seating privileges for it to be replaced with an active supporters area (general admission) and no longer a reserved seating area or is that incorrect?

Redlight 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 am

Thanks for that, good read.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:54 am

I think so Jezza. I'll go back over the recording in the morning, but I'm pretty certain Eddie's thoughts went something like:

He'd spoke to Joffa about the cheer squad. Ed not happy that there are so many empty seats and so little barracking when 'the team is 3 goals behind'.
Ed wants a sea of black and white and not withstanding his barbed line about the AFL 'teaching Collingwood supporters how not to attend' via the draw, he did say that new seating would be looked at and asked for a vote.

Instead of a Cheer Squad, Joffa and Ed had discussed instead, a sea of black and white of 'Active Supporters'. Ed doesn't want a Grog Squad or a token Cheer Squad; he wants the whole area opened up. Reserved seating would move sideways. That's my take on it from tonight.

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:00 am

Thank you so much Neil - much appreciated... and THANK YOU for having a chat to Justin.

Interestingly, friends of ours who are Melbourne supporters are adamant that they no longer get our gate. Will have much pleasure in telling them otherwise! Wink

The dance troupe idea is still embarrassing and ridiculous - Ed has to let that one go.

Again thank you SO much of this summary - I was following on twitter and it was great. Smile

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:01 am
Post subject: Re: A few points from tonight's meetingReply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
Asked for a show of hands: who would be willing to give up their reserved seat on bottom level of Ponnie so that a Supporters Collective could sit there making a sea of black and white rather than the current set up? Majority agreed. I think we can expect change.

2. Banner. Ed said it was dead and buried. Old style to return.

3. AFL Draw: Ed said the AFL had virtually guaranteed a better draw for Collingwood.

4. During Ed's address he stated very forcefully that the AFL draw had cost Collingwood $1 million this year.

5. Ed said that we should be in no doubt that he is fighting hard for Collingwood and its supporters, but sometimes he needs to concede ground in order to get what he wants. Port being allowed to wear their stripes this week is a case in point. Ed said that for the good of the game he agreed even though, Port, the AFL and Collingwood have signed a contract that Collingwood is the only club to wear black and white.

When the AFL or MCC waves contracts at Collingwood as a reason to not do something, now Ed can wave the Black & White Stripes Contract and say, we give ground in spite of contracts.

ALSO

In response to a question as to why Collingwood allows Melbourne to take the gate for every Queen's Birthday Game when everybody screws us, Eddie said something very interesting....albeit reluctantly. We give Melbourne the game and the gate, we get 18 games at the G. Seems like this was part of the long term deal to get Collingwood as the major MCG tenant.

6. I asked Justin Reeves a question (off mike) about the on-selling of tickets.
He said that Collingwood would trial a two game sell-back system next year. Legends and other reserved seat holders could nominate well in advance if they weren't using the tickets and the club would be able to re-sell them.
He said Essendon had tried a similar system but that it hadn't worked.

7. Eddie said that the Collingwood dancers played a part in promoting the club away from match day. Instead of players having to attend certain events, sometimes a Collingwood presence could mean the dance troupe attending instead.

8. Collingwood was insisting it have more match day control of scoreboard and entertainment.

9. Open bar provided at end of meeting. Nice touch.

The meeting started at 7:35 and finished at 10pm with an open bar. Ed, Bucks, Decca and Justin Reeves stayed for questions and photo ops.

** At the beginning of the night Ed was impassioned as he spoke of Collingwood coming under attack via the AFL's Equalisation Scheme and asked members to not protest by 'not buying a membership'. Ed said the AFL had already taken the the money from the gate and that membership was a way of safeguarding income for Collingwood.

More to follow.

Really good summary Neil

hazza11 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:13 am

I just watched a clip on "footy classified" on our soft tissue injuries, was that spoke much about on the night. I did like Ed's honesty in saying it had been issue for nearly three years (I thought at least 2, not sure about 3 personally) apparently they have been looking into this for quite some time. I don't understand how long this needs to be looked at before an actual report or summary comes out internally or externally as to where we have been wrong with our trainings or whatever. Hopefully, some sort of conclusion comes out soon in regards to this!

Cheers for the report on the night Neil, greatly appreciated!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks Neil - much appreciated.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:48 am

You are all welcome.

Regarding the injury report and in particular the soft tissue injuries, Bucks spoke about needing to compete with the leading clubs. He and Decca spoke of the mature bodies at Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn and Freo.

Bucks said last year Port exposed our lack of run. Our young guys didn't have the tank to run to both ends of the ground and cover the 15-17 kms per game as required. An increased training load was needed. This year we were still trailing the top clubs despite the increased load.

Bucks said that we still need to work harder to develop the 'tanks' to compete and that we were still a year of two off being able to match it with Sydney and Hawthorn.

Interestingly, and tellingly I thought, Derek Hine was full of praise for Fasolo (as was Bucks), Kennedy and Sharenberg. Hine said Scharenberg was a 10-12 year player and that we would see his on-field and off-field class soon enough.
Hine and Bucks said Kennedy was not able to produce consistently under pressure and that his endurance was not up to scratch yet, but that he was 'elite' in many other areas.

In a lighter moment, Buck's brought the house down after a supporter asked Hine why they were recruiting so many midgets. Hine began by saying the midgets were basically late term picks and had cost us nothing. Bucks broke in by saying the only reason we had recruited Mason Cox from the USA was to improve the team's average height.

This was no papering over the cracks effort tonight. I was very impressed with Ed and Bucks, particularly in their honest answers to the many questions asked. Pert and Eade had very easy nights as did Justin Reeves.

Another interesting part of the night was when Bucks discussed the late picks in the 2013 draft. We didn't get James Stewart and he really hopes he does well, but we got Langdon and Marsh. Bucks surprised me with his praise of Marsh. Now yes, I saw Marshy in some early games and got excited, but Bucks said he arrived as a forward who thought he could play mid and had become a running defender who would do well. Bucks stopped himself from getting too excited by the prospect of a running skillful Marsh, but he hinted that we were in for a real ride with this kid.

hazza11 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:04 am

[quote="Neil Appleby"]You are all welcome.

Regarding the injury report and in particular the soft tissue injuries, Bucks spoke about needing to compete with the leading clubs. He and Decca spoke of the mature bodies at Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn and Freo.

I understand the need and want to be able to compete against these clubs, but to me seems as though we are no closer to having any answer to the number of soft tissues injuries.

Cheers again.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 am

Neil once again a thoroughly impressive review for us supporters who live interstate and are unable to attend such events or training.
I for one am very appreciative of your reports during the year and hope they continue for many years to come.
Cheers mate
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks Neil, great summaries, good to know it wasn't just a touch up job.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:08 am

Was anything mentioned about the coaches, and future progression on that etc, apart from fitness coaching of course?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:21 am

I was interested in reading the obvious love of Scharenberg by Hine.
I posted on here ages ago I heard Leigh Matthews declare we had stole him at pick 6 as in his opinion he was a top 2 or 3 for certain.
Matthews said at the draft camp he was the most AFL ready prospect in all facets of his game. He thought the picks would have been Boyd, Scharenberg and Bontenpelli in no particular order.
God I hope Matthews and Hine are correct because he is the kind of kid who will play off the half back line and can also rotate through the mid field.
Freeman's hammy is a concern as he was in the top couple at the draft camp in terms of repetitive 20m sprints and beep testing (think I read somewhere he got a 15.5 beep when the average was 13.Cool I hope his hammy issues don't curtail his elite speed which is why we drafted him.
The saving some cap space is interesting as well. I think we hd cleared plenty of cap room the past couple of years and with such a young list and limited experience you would assume we wouldn't be paying them huge salaries yet.
I know sidey, beams, Elliott would have demanded increases the past couple years and would again be inline for increase going forward. Pendles nd Cloke would be on top $$ as too would Swanny but I'm guessing within 2yrs when our window opens up he will be heading into the retirement phase of his career.
If we are going to try to land a big fish or 2 to give us every oppontunity like when we got jolly and ball then I say this is good thinking did forward planning.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 am
Post subject: Re: A few points from tonight's meetingReply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:

A group of 8 of my family members have taken up residence in M35 since the opening of the Ponny. We chose this area during the initial open day despite it being exposed to the elements as it is where the action is between the point post and the race. We move there from N10.

My immediate family of 4 very rarely miss a home or away game at the MCG. We sit there in the rain, hail or sunshine. We all wear Black and White and if anything I am too vocal.

There are people around us who also never miss a game and I even see them amongst the crowd in the interstate games. Many have become friends over the years and there is always plenty of talk amongst the various family and groups in the immediate vicinity.

So the club is thinking of moving us on for a supposed more active general admission crowd. Good luck with that.

Yes, the Ponny has been a bit dead of late. There are a number of contributing factors. One way of fixing it is to not disenfranchise your loyalist and most active supporters/members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: