Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A few points from tonight's meeting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report, my perception is there were no real answers it was more about spin.

Actions speak louder the words and in my view heads have to roll. Buckley and Co refer to KPI's. Well they are below in many areas and in business if your KPI's are not up to scratch that usually means the door and I don't mean the Coach or President. I am merely suggesting that there has to be some fallout from this season as it's been a year to forget and one of my worst as a member since the 80's.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:48 am

Did anyone at the meeting ask about replacing our coach with a 'better' one? So many people are quick to suggest it here on the internet .. surely they had the courage to attend the meeting and ask the president directly when he intends to replace Buckley?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:23 am
Post subject: Re: A few points from tonight's meetingReply with quote

Member 7167 wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
1. Eddie suggested that the cheer squad seating must change.
Asked for a show of hands: who would be willing to give up their reserved seat on bottom level of Ponnie so that a Supporters Collective could sit there making a sea of black and white rather than the current set up? Majority agreed. I think we can expect change.

A group of 8 of my family members have taken up residence in M35 since the opening of the Ponny. We chose this area during the initial open day despite it being exposed to the elements as it is where the action is between the point post and the race. We move there from N10.

My immediate family of 4 very rarely miss a home or away game at the MCG. We sit there in the rain, hail or sunshine. We all wear Black and White and if anything I am too vocal.

There are people around us who also never miss a game and I even see them amongst the crowd in the interstate games. Many have become friends over the years and there is always plenty of talk amongst the various family and groups in the immediate vicinity.

So the club is thinking of moving us on for a supposed more active general admission crowd. Good luck with that.

Yes, the Ponny has been a bit dead of late. There are a number of contributing factors. One way of fixing it is to not disenfranchise your loyalist and most active supporters/members.

You'd hope that they'd monitor scanned entry patterns and determine who have been active attendees before shifting the diehards.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:23 am

Just to answer a few of these questions:

Eddie doesn't want to move loyal fans, but he does want to make sure he gets an army of black and white. He asked how to do it. He spent an hour talking to the membership staff before the meeting and he spoke to Joffa. One person said they email the club and never get a reply (loud clapping). Ed said that although they would need to double the staff in order to reply, he does see the letters and he does take them on board. Ed also said that our cheer squad was .....I think he said 'shit house' and had fallen way behind other clubs.

Nobody ducked the hard questions Cannibal. In fact, they came ready. Daveron for instance, when discussing Nathan Freeman, said that in all his years in footy, he had never seen such a severe hamstring/tendon injury. Freeman he said was nursed through so as to think of his long-term health.

A few other things I've remembered:
•Bucks said the most frustrated coach at Collingwood was Matty Lappin. He never, not for one game, got his preferred personnel on the field.

•Hine was rapturous in his assessment of Sharenberg, but not just as a player; he said the boy would do us proud off field as well.

•Bucks spoke of Bally and how he called Bally in for a chat last Wednesday after hearing his interview with Mark Robinson. Apparently, Bally had discussed retirement with Bucks mid season due to his back, but was now saying he would like to play on. Bucks asked him to consider whether he'd like to play long periods in the VFL; that he should go out on top; that he should get the farewell he deserves. He asked Bally to quickly consider before the last game. He said Bally made his decision the next morning. Bucks thinks that surgery would have meant he couldn't play as he would like. Also and tellingly, Ball admitted he just couldn't do the running required of a centreline player anymore.

•Sidebottom: Bucks said in 2010-2013, Sidey had waited to be told what to do. he sat and waited; he was not a natural leader. He was asked to lead the young players and had gone to a new level. In the second half of the year, Bucks thinks Sidey surpassed Pendlebury in some ways and that his leadership was one of the upsides of our season.

Finally, Ed on the umpires: Collingwood has finished 18th the last 2 seasons in the free kick differential. He didn't go further and he wasn't asked about this, it was his observation.

There were a lot of questions asked and some were pretty good, but as the night wore on there were a few men and women who, well, would have been egged if I'd had any.

I have recorded the whole night via my iPhone and would like to share it, but can't figure out a way. If anybody would like to suggest a way I'm happy to do it.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks Neil.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 am

Cheers for the updates Neil!

A lot of people I've spoken to walked away feeling a lot better about things than they did when they walked through the doors
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 am

Culprit wrote:
Good report, my perception is there were no real answers it was more about spin.

Actions speak louder the words and in my view heads have to roll. Buckley and Co refer to KPI's. Well they are below in many areas and in business if your KPI's are not up to scratch that usually means the door and I don't mean the Coach or President. I am merely suggesting that there has to be some fallout from this season as it's been a year to forget and one of my worst as a member since the 80's.
99?
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks Neil , very in depth much appreciated.

www.facebook/the hybernators
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:56 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
Did anyone at the meeting ask about replacing our coach with a 'better' one? So many people are quick to suggest it here on the internet .. surely they had the courage to attend the meeting and ask the president directly when he intends to replace Buckley?

No, because either they were too gutless to attend or too gutless to stand up and ask the question. After all the talk on here I was waiting for it and to be honest I get the impression the question would have been answered honestly but it's amazing how people disappear when you force them to have human interaction and get them away from behind their keyboard and screen.

If you didn't walk away from last night with a better understanding of the bigger picture, well, you weren't listening.

We're in this situation because things don't always go according to plan. Blame Bucks all you want but the reality seems to me that when the interchange cap came in, combined with the changes in the way the game was being played (eg. transition running seems to be the buzz word) we were left severely exposed.

As Devoren said last night (off stage) he's been trying to get the team up to 40km of running a week. He didn't name him but one of the big changes to our training was the introduction of a second "football" session each week. While the football sessions are in theory great because you're handling the footy and working as a team etc - they are horrible for getting km's in the legs which is what we need to be able to transition. I get the impression if he was in charge - and not the head coach - that second football session would be dropped in an instant. I'm only a hack footballer but I wore my iPhone one day when I went for a kick of the footy at lunchtime to track how far I ran. Reckon we were going for a good 40-45 mins, and barely any sitting still and I barely cracked 2km total distance.

Anyway I actually think it was a really worthwhile night to attend for anyone debating it in future years. I suspect when word gets around there were beers at the end we might have 20,000 attend next year!!!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:22 am

^ iirc, someone did make a call for supporters to stop bagging the coach to which there was a stilted round of applause.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 am

John Wren wrote:
^ iirc, someone did make a call for supporters to stop bagging the coach to which there was a stilted round of applause.

Hmmmm I don't know about stilted, seemed like those in the room were fairly unanimous in that we should be standing side-by-side, not acting like Richmond.

And what was it that Ed said, oh yeah, if you don't stand for something you don't stand for nothing (or words to that effect).

For all the talk on here, there was a serious lack of it apparent last night. Questions were generally good, although as someone else pointed out there were a few who waffled and needed a good Flying High slapping to speed them up or ship them out!!! Smile

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 am

John Wren wrote:

Hmmmm I don't know about stilted, seemed like those in the room were fairly unanimous in that we should be standing side-by-side, not acting like Richmond.

And what was it that Ed said, oh yeah, if you don't stand for something you don't stand for nothing (or words to that effect).

For all the talk on here, there was a serious lack of it apparent last night. Questions were generally good, although as someone else pointed out there were a few who waffled and needed a good Flying High slapping to speed them up or ship them out!!! Smile

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks Neil and Woodsmen for giving us the low down on last night.

Very true, Woodsmen - probably the people that most needed to go and ask
the tough questions, were the ones who have been the loudest critics. Yet, I noticed that not only did they not venture out from behind their keyboards, but they used their keyboards to slam the whole concept of a fan forum (not so much here at Nick's, as on another discussion board). Weird.

It's interesting to read that the two types of training - endurance and skills - are almost competing with each other for player time.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:06 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:
John Wren wrote:

i didn't think it was rapturous applause.

Museman 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Well it seems it's kept the sunshine and lollipops content....

Why wouldn't it though, the clubs just doing what they do....

Move the goalposts to suit the current situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: