Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So Buckley admits fault on injuries.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Bucks has said that the way Port blew us out of the finals last year showed us how fit we needed to become. He says that the game has changed radically over the past 3 years and it has become much faster with so much more running both ways. Furthermore, he said that despite all the injuries we'd had this year it was a mistake to say we trained too hard. Rather, we need to train harder if we are to match it with the likes of Port.

The way Port routed us last year in that final was a whole lot more then just about fitness - watch a replay, specially the last quarter, and watch how our 'box' looked clueless... it was a real 'rabbit in headlights' moment if ever I've seen one.

No-one's saying it's just about fitness, just that fitness is a major factor.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:18 pm

ALLRIGHT lads and lassies, I guess the only answer is - BACK TO ARIZONA AND HIGH ALTITUDE TRAINING. !!!

Failing that, we can run up and down Hanging Rock 300 times, thatll get the players bonded, and fit and firing. Then, a snag sizzle at the base of the Rock so they can bond some more, finishing up with a Travis Cloke solo on acoustic guitar ! Bound to do the trick !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Maybe we at Nicks should do the same so we can get some perspective Wink
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:24 pm

FAIR Enough, I play a mean acoustic guitar, Bob Dylan style, and you can do the snag sizzle, no probs, its done !! Razz Laughing

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Pardon me if this has been reported, but at last week's Supporters' Meeting, Bucks said that although we had trained harder over he summer and had gone for a heat training regime rather than an altitude regime, we were still a fair way behind the top clubs in training load.

I took that to mean that we will continue to train hard in the heat this coming summer in order to catch teams like Hawthorn, Sydney and Port. I suppose we could expect the soft-tissue injuries to lessen after two pre-seasons.

What I would have liked to ask Bucks is this: we began a new heat-based, high intensity training regime in 2014 in a bid to catch the leading clubs. According to Bucks and Bill Daveron at the meeting, it probably led to the increased soft-tissue injuries. Why is it that Port Adelaide didn't suffer the same fate at the beginning of 2013 when they initiated a similar training programme?

I believe they employed the right fitness guru and we didn't. What other explanation could there be? Or am I being simplistic?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Pardon me if this has been reported, but at last week's Supporters' Meeting, Bucks said that although we had trained harder over he summer and had gone for a heat training regime rather than an altitude regime, we were still a fair way behind the top clubs in training load.

I took that to mean that we will continue to train hard in the heat this coming summer in order to catch teams like Hawthorn, Sydney and Port. I suppose we could expect the soft-tissue injuries to lessen after two pre-seasons.

What I would have liked to ask Bucks is this: we began a new heat-based, high intensity training regime in 2014 in a bid to catch the leading clubs. According to Bucks and Bill Daveron at the meeting, it probably led to the increased soft-tissue injuries. Why is it that Port Adelaide didn't suffer the same fate at the beginning of 2013 when they initiated a similar training programme?

I believe they employed the right fitness guru and we didn't. What other explanation could there be? Or am I being simplistic?

Nah I reckon your spot on.

For the life of me I can figure out getting the saints fitness guy. Shift everyone poaches our staff, how about we do some poaching?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Some people might think you are.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:

I think you need to factor in the kids. It takes multiple preseasons to build a reasonable baseline fitness, probably why Port have coped better given they've been less reliant on first & second year players.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:

Maybe it was the transition of high altitude training to the heat training that caused the preponderance of soft tissue injuries. With Freeman didn't he have a year out of football as a teenager, so maybe the demands of professional football caught up with him in his first year. We also suffered two ACL injuries in the space of a week that have nothing to do with the fitness program. Bad luck does happen. Who's to say that Buckley has suffered all his bad luck in his first three years and now it's smooth sailing from here? People forget we suffered injuries in the lead up to the 2011 GF as well with Reid and Jolly performing poorly. With the success of Port it appears to me that heat training is the way to go. We still have the high altitude chamber at Westpac centre for treatment of injuries and recovery. I hope our medical team is up with the latest technology in getting injured players back onto the field.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Also we'd need to put together some data on how bad our soft tissue issues have actually been. Sure, we've had a lot of injuries but knees, feet, shoulders, hands, etc don't have anything to do with training loads. From memory this year was a bad one for soft tissues, but as Bill pointed out this was skewed by two players missing almost the whole year in Reid and Freeman. Other than that he claims we were only slightly above average.

Increasing the training load will almost certainly bring more injuries. There are a number of clubs that have experienced this, including Essendon. Whether our soft tissue injuries were particularly numerous or whether a couple of particularly bad ones made it look that way is the question. I'm fairly sure even Port have had their problems, it's just that their players came back relatively quickly. The new thing for me over the last two years was Beams and Reid missing almost the whole year with a calf injury. I've not seen this before at Collingwood or from what I know of other clubs. Whether this was due to an over cautious approach or again just particularly bad injuries, I couldn't say.

Anyway, I guess my point is that we can't really talk about an injury crisis without some proper data. My hunch says that we'd be surprised at how little our past few seasons have deviated from the norm in terms of soft tissue injuries.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:57 pm

Was it youth? I think in part but Reid, Toovey, Sinclair have a few pre-seasons in them and broke down

Is it Altitude to heat? Can't see at all why with a full year in between

Is heat training the way to go? It's an approach, but so is altitude which was attributed with part of our success in 2010/2011. Hawks have done Kokoda. No magic one-size-fits-all winning approach, but over training is not the answer.

I have heard indirectly from a source inside the club that overtraining is the culprit. Bucks effectively admitted as much (to paraphrase) "Got to push to breaking point to see how far they can go otherwise it'll happen on the field". Hope they learn from it. It'll cost them their jobs if not, including that of Bucks.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:08 am

Didaksgoal wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
For those that think we trained too hard.
Pies are 15th in last qtr wins.

We were flogged to death I reckon, and I said the same last year too. If the team looks rooted just before qtr time, and it's the same for the rest of the match.............we are over-trained. I mean, FFS, don't we want to win the game!!!!!!

I watched the video of how Buck's said for those that think we are over-trained, Buck's says we are under-trained!!! OK we are now a Magpie kindergarten, and fitness does drop off............but not the whole team before the end of the first qtr!

Witts and Grundy were stand-outs in dragging a ball and chain during the year.......again they are young (granted), and Wittsy showed more fatigue after half way during the year......where as Grundy showed he was towing a caravan very early into the season. But Geewiz Grundy had a hell-of-a six games at the end of last year!!!

If I see a kickout from the opposition next year, and some Magpie slowly jog towards an opponent who has received the ball (20 metres away) who's going to kick it to just shy of half-way to another unmanned opposition player (and it's not half-time), I will sh!t a boomerang!!

Go the Pies!

Watch Ports second half and in particular last qtr. Look at the running they did pre-season compared to us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: