Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So Buckley admits fault on injuries.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 am
Post subject: So Buckley admits fault on injuries.Reply with quote

This is helpful before Monday night's forum. Mea Culpa from Caesar.

Quote:
The program run by high performance manager Bill Davoren, who joined the club in October last year, is expected to be questioned by members, with an internal review into the possible reasons for a plethora of soft-tissue injuries underway. The Magpies have also had seven serious knee injuries in the past two years.
Buckley said on SEN on Saturday the Magpies had "worked our players hard, potentially our injury profile suggests we pushed them to the edge and potentially over the top but that will hold us in good stead going forward".
In terms of training loads, he said the Magpies had been "massive unders" compared to rivals although this had been an effective policy during the latter years under former coach Mick Malthouse and former fitness boss David Buttifant – both are now at Carlton – when transition football was not as frenetic. He said the Magpies had since increased their training loads by up to 15 per cent to meet modern demands.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/training-program-may-have-been-over-the-top-says-nathan-buckley-20140830-10aeyn.html#ixzz3BuhNOH3H

In good stead going forward? Tell that to the players whose careers might have been irreparably damaged from injury this year, e.g. Reid, Scharenberg and Freeman etc.

Unforgiveable!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's not how it reads to me. But I guess depending on your side of the fence, that's how you'll see it.

To me it says the increase in training load to the level of other teams was maybe too fast,

I certainly agree with those saying the fitness guy needs to go, but I said that when we hired him. Why would you hire a team that was sliding massively, fitness coach. Send him back to the saints.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:47 am

As a player bucks never did have much empathy for those unlike himself.

Hopefully a lesson learned, next year will tell.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:51 am

A Workcover probe. That's what we need.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/workcover-health-and-safety-probe-into-afl-clubs-on-hold-20140830-10aeup.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 am

They should start with essendrug
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:12 am

Anyone who has the requisite attention span can listen to Buckley's entire interview on SEN, which is how The Age got this "story". The link is at http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Bucks-Young-Pies-must-accept-responsibility/

My take on it is that the team felt Buttifant's training strategy was inapt to the new "transition" game and that Collingwood were underdone compared to other teams. Buckley didn't "admit fault", so much as take responsibility for the introduction of a new training regime that he considered necessary to catch up with the changes in the game. Since people have been moaning all season about how our players don't seem as fit and able to run out games as, eg Port, it seemed to me to be unsurprising that the coaching staff thought the team fitness regime required an overhaul.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:19 am

You have to be able to forgive Collie... I mean look at our political situation - around half the voting population voted in some absolute spuds - I will forgive them because they can rectify that poor decision in a few years time.

Buckley has identified the need for our players to be able to compete with the transition footy of the Swans, Hawks and Port etc Maybe they were pushed over the line - but they will learn and be back better in 2015 and beyond!

If a probe is needed i think Collie is a good candidate Smile

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:32 am

The question in Collie's case is where the probe should be inserted, YY?
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:39 am

Heard the interview on SEN and as always Bucks spoke well and was great to listen to.

Talked about the injuries and that our fitness was not up to speed, but said that the program will benefit in the long run. Guess he is hoping that the base being set will enable the players to handle the training regime better in the future.

One thing he did say was the press was found out and that the group we had then was no longer able to win the big one. This explains the trading decisions over the last few years. Had we kept the list intact, we probably would be playing finals now, but only making up the numbers.

We are 2 years ahead in our rebuild than what we would otherwise have been.
Realistically 2016 and beyond is when our window will open again.

Will Bucks get us a flag? I don't know, but I suspect that his gutsy decisions on the list has probably spared us a larger and lengthier decline.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:47 am

How about designing and inventing a way to play the game differently instead of "catching up".

You don't catch up! while you catch up others are busy going ahead.

How about an innovative mind set instead of reactionary coaching?

The game won't be played in transition forever, and the winner will be the first to play successfully otherwise.

I was hoping our sh!tstain gameplan was just a by-product of a idea that was bigger that would suddenly start to manifest itself, sadly it's looks as though my hope was in vain judging by the interview it would appear we are followers...not leaders.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:51 am

thebaldfacts wrote:
Heard the interview on SEN and as always Bucks spoke well and was great to listen to.

Talked about the injuries and that our fitness was not up to speed, but said that the program will benefit in the long run. Guess he is hoping that the base being set will enable the players to handle the training regime better in the future.

One thing he did say was the press was found out and that the group we had then was no longer able to win the big one. This explains the trading decisions over the last few years. Had we kept the list intact, we probably would be playing finals now, but only making up the numbers.

Will Bucks get us a flag? I don't know, but I suspect that his gutsy decisions on the list has probably spared us a larger and lengthier decline.

He's talking sh!t...He also said geelong found it out and others were too...ahh yeah Bux, others...like who? it wasn't until we abandoned it that "others" rolled right on by us.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:01 am

Throughout the entirety of the best season of football I ever saw Collingwood play, they were consistently rolled by Geelong. By the end of that season, West Coast had worked us out (but didn't have the quality to win) and Hawthorn would have beaten us, save for some real heroics from, amongst others, Ball, Thomas and (IIRC) Davis.

As for the need to be ahead of the game, I don't know whether Collingwood is or not. But if they are developing some new master plan, I'd be perturbed to hear about that in a radio interview before the strategy was implemented.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:09 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Throughout the entirety of the best season of football I ever saw Collingwood play, they were consistently rolled by Geelong. By the end of that season, West Coast had worked us out (but didn't have the quality to win) and Hawthorn would have beaten us, save for some real heroics from, amongst others, Ball, Thomas and (IIRC) Davis.

As for the need to be ahead of the game, I don't know whether Collingwood is or not. But if they are developing some new master plan, I'd be perturbed to hear about that in a radio interview before the strategy was implemented.

Geelong tweeked.....we didn't, and accept for a few ifs and buts, like a moron coach playing an injured Reid on dum dum we may still have won another flag in 2011.
WC adopted our GP.
We were hit by injury tired and still that gameplan accounted for Hawthorn... because the press gives them fits to this day...Sydney press them and so do Freo.

Its not what he didn't say on radio...it's what he did.

"Catch up"
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:15 am

thebaldfacts wrote:

Sorry but I just don't fall for your rebuild argument. Your only basis that we are 2 years ahead in our rebuild is the ladder position we find ourselves in. By your logic therefore if we finished twelfth instead of tenth we would be 3 years ahead in our rebuild. This is the same logic Alan Joyce as CEO of Qantus uses to justify their 2.8 billion dollar loss. The more money you lose the more ahead of schedule you are in rebuilding the brand name that you trashed in the first place. This is working a treat for Alan Joyce as he justifies his job at Qantas. The problem for Collingwood is that no one is taking responsibility for a disastrous season and the best they can come up with is a fans forum. I would prefer the people run the club as they see fit and if they fail they fall on their sword as should happen in any sporting business and then new people are brought in to run the business.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:46 am

We are going for a flag asap or going for a rebuild.
It is one or the other.
If going for a rebuild why wouldn't you trade aggressively?
Why didn't we trade a player such as Swan in 2012 or 2013 for a younger champion or potential champion?
He hasn't much trade value now!
3 years going down hill and now it
is play the suckers with another emerald city vision in
3 years time.
Buckley = Shaw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: