Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So Buckley admits fault on injuries.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
Heard the interview on SEN and as always Bucks spoke well and was great to listen to.

Talked about the injuries and that our fitness was not up to speed, but said that the program will benefit in the long run. Guess he is hoping that the base being set will enable the players to handle the training regime better in the future.

One thing he did say was the press was found out and that the group we had then was no longer able to win the big one. This explains the trading decisions over the last few years. Had we kept the list intact, we probably would be playing finals now, but only making up the numbers.

We are 2 years ahead in our rebuild than what we would otherwise have been.
Realistically 2016 and beyond is when our window will open again.

Will Bucks get us a flag? I don't know, but I suspect that his gutsy decisions on the list has probably spared us a larger and lengthier decline.

Sorry but I just don't fall for your rebuild argument. Your only basis that we are 2 years ahead in our rebuild is the ladder position we find ourselves in. By your logic therefore if we finished twelfth instead of tenth we would be 3 years ahead in our rebuild. s.

Nothing to do with ladder position. More about trading Wellingham and getting Grundy, trading Dawes and getting Broomhead, trading Heater and getting Adams, not matching Thomas's free agency bid and getting Scharenberg, delisting Jolly and getting games into Grundy and Witts.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:09 pm
Post subject: Re: So Buckley admits fault on injuries.Reply with quote

collie dog wrote:
This is helpful before Monday night's forum. Mea Culpa from Caesar.

Quote:
The program run by high performance manager Bill Davoren, who joined the club in October last year, is expected to be questioned by members, with an internal review into the possible reasons for a plethora of soft-tissue injuries underway. The Magpies have also had seven serious knee injuries in the past two years.
Buckley said on SEN on Saturday the Magpies had "worked our players hard, potentially our injury profile suggests we pushed them to the edge and potentially over the top but that will hold us in good stead going forward".
In terms of training loads, he said the Magpies had been "massive unders" compared to rivals although this had been an effective policy during the latter years under former coach Mick Malthouse and former fitness boss David Buttifant – both are now at Carlton – when transition football was not as frenetic. He said the Magpies had since increased their training loads by up to 15 per cent to meet modern demands.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/training-program-may-have-been-over-the-top-says-nathan-buckley-20140830-10aeyn.html#ixzz3BuhNOH3H

In good stead going forward? Tell that to the players whose careers might have been irreparably damaged from injury this year, e.g. Reid, Scharenberg and Freeman etc.

Unforgiveable!

I think he has told the players. Lots knobs here.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:22 pm

[quote="Deja Vu"]Of course the press had been found out.

As for 2011. While only Geelong beat us we had already started to leak goals in games against Essendon, Adelaide and Hawks. 2012 was just the continuation of that trend. /quote]

And don't forget late in the year the game against Brisbane at the MCG. A 8 goal 3/4 time lead gave way to a 7 goal quarter by the Lions and a more modest 3 goal victory instead of the % booster it was shaping up to.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 pm

[quote="thebaldfacts"]
Deja Vu wrote:
Of course the press had been found out.

As for 2011. While only Geelong beat us we had already started to leak goals in games against Essendon, Adelaide and Hawks. 2012 was just the continuation of that trend. /quote]

And don't forget late in the year the game against Brisbane at the MCG. A 8 goal 3/4 time lead gave way to a 7 goal quarter by the Lions and a more modest 3 goal victory instead of the % booster it was shaping up to.

So the Lions worked out how to beat the press after 3 qtr time? Or do you think that maybe, just maybe the boys racked the cue? Rolling Eyes

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:38 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The question in Collie's case is where the probe should be inserted, YY?

haha I LOL!!

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:41 pm

Depends. Do you think that maybe, just maybe, other teams mimic the reigning premiers' game plan and when they do, they can actually better at it?

Especially a gameplan that is based on high rotations and constant tackling pressure? How much talent is required to implement that gameplan?

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
Depends. Do you think that maybe, just maybe, other teams mimic the reigning premiers' game plan and when they do, they can actually better at it?

Especially a gameplan that is based on high rotations and constant tackling pressure? How much talent is required to implement that gameplan?

Ask Blair!!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Anyone who has the requisite attention span can listen to Buckley's entire interview on SEN, which is how The Age got this "story". The link is at http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Bucks-Young-Pies-must-accept-responsibility/

My take on it is that the team felt Buttifant's training strategy was inapt to the new "transition" game and that Collingwood were underdone compared to other teams. Buckley didn't "admit fault", so much as take responsibility for the introduction of a new training regime that he considered necessary to catch up with the changes in the game. Since people have been moaning all season about how our players don't seem as fit and able to run out games as, eg Port, it seemed to me to be unsurprising that the coaching staff thought the team fitness regime required an overhaul.

Agree, well said.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:13 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Can't remember his exact words but I think Lloyd summed it up best a couple of weeks back with his statement of how it would be wrong for us to believe that everything is going to take care of itself on the back of blooding a number of kids the last two seasons.

A lot more is involved than just relying on the natural progression of the kids to believe we'll be back playing finals next season and a genuine top for 4 chance by 2016.

And for every Lloyd, there is a David King or Chris Connely who say we've done the right thing in positioning ourselves for long term sustained competitiveness through the draft.

I agree it's a risky strategy to pin so much on the potential development of a bunch of kids but it is a strategy and we're already seeing some of these kids show they have futures.

And yes, there are no guarantees we'll get back to finals in 2015. We had the 3rd or 4th youngest list in the league in 2014 and we've lost Maxwell, Lynch, Hudson, and Ball so we'll be even younger in 2015
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:55 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:

Will Bucks get us a flag? I don't know, but I suspect that his gutsy decisions on the list has probably spared us a larger and lengthier decline.

Sorry, but that is utter twaddle. I just look forward to the day when players start making the club responsible for these injuries through litigation (like Egan at Geelong). It's about time, because I very much doubt the Caff will ever play for us again now.

Buckley is being cavalier with players' futures. And remember this, his own last two years were cruelled with a host of soft tissue injuries. It appears Caesar never learnt from his own experiences of personal overtraining.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:56 pm

Museman wrote:
How about designing and inventing a way to play the game differently instead of "catching up".

You don't catch up! while you catch up others are busy going ahead.

How about an innovative mind set instead of reactionary coaching?

The game won't be played in transition forever, and the winner will be the first to play successfully otherwise.

I was hoping our sh!tstain gameplan was just a by-product of a idea that was bigger that would suddenly start to manifest itself, sadly it's looks as though my hope was in vain judging by the interview it would appear we are followers...not leaders.

Well said!

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:02 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

just make sure it is the biggest probe you can find. We don't want him to misinterpret our intent.

Oh very clever. That's the best you can come up with? Seriously. I see you have no answers to the criticism in this thread expect ad hominen abuse. Typical of many Nicksters. You have been reported. Rolling Eyes

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:15 pm

collie dog wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

just make sure it is the biggest probe you can find. We don't want him to misinterpret our intent.

Oh very clever. That's the best you can come up with? Seriously. I see you have no answers to the criticism in this thread expect ad hominen abuse. Typical of many Nicksters. You have been reported. Rolling Eyes

It's not trade chat in 'World of Warcraft' Collie lolololol

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:30 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
I can see his point. You can see it week in week out we simply can't keep up with the majority of teams on transition. When opposition spread we don't go with them and when we spread on the switch we get covered very quickly.

I can't see how you can improve fitness with out pushing the endurance harder.

Not a strong opinion, just a thought -
We may be steering training towards more endurance over burst running in anticipation of the interchange cap being reduced??

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
Of course the press had been found out. Everyone was using it therefore it no longer provided a tactical advantage.

If everyone uses the same game plan, who wins the the GF? The fittest team with the most talent and the fewest injuries, that's who.

We beat Geelong in 2010 because of a superior gameplan, not because we were more talented. When they used their gameplan against us we couldn't beat them because they had better talent across the park. Also, a lot of people seem to forget that Bomber gave the veteran Cats a very late start in that preseason, I think some of them didn't do serious work until January. We had a fitness advantage that year over the comp.

As for 2011. While only Geelong beat us we had already started to leak goals in games against Essendon, Adelaide and Hawks. 2012 was just the continuation of that trend. If we had of kept the status quo we very likely may have played finals this year, but tell me what did the WCE do after their premiership in 94? Made another 5 finals series in a row but never threatened for the flag again.

None of the teams are currently on a finals streak of 8 consecutive years. Even the mighty teams of Cats, Hawks and Swans all had off years for one reason or other. The way some Pies fans are reacting when we miss our first finals campaign after 8 years by one game is pretty childish in my opinion.

It doesn't mean we can't question the direction of the club and the coach but a little perspective goes a long way

Well said, clearly won't get any traction here though Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: