Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The positives from 2014

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:45 am
Post subject: The positives from 2014Reply with quote

I know the non supportive among us will say there's no positives to come out of 2014 but for mine I can see a few.

Frost proved he is a very capable defender and a player with an immense desire. Played on many of the games power forwards and was more than competitive for large chunks of the season. Needs to improve his kicking but he certainly knows how to spoil and his closing speed is fantastic.

Langdon probably the unsung hero of our backline this year. Played taller than his stature suggested many times and has a touch of class in his disposal. Very good reader of the game.

Thomas seen enough to know he has a upside. Showed desire to compete and has a huge engine. Needs to dramatically improve his disposal but has the work ethic to do so

Adams came with many unknowns from GWS but showed he will be a player of vital importance going forward. Improved with every game and is a better than average hard ball winner

Armstrong I know he played only late in the season but showed me enough that he is super competitive and Has that touch of arrogance needed

Witts the longer the year went the better he got. He certainly improved his marking skills and showed he is a very competitive beast.

Seedsman has the pace and skills to be a very good player. Is still learning his craft but has shown enough to be a valuable player going forward

Broomhead has the foot skills many of his team mates lack. Still finding his feet but now has shown he has the smarts to be a good AFL player

Pendles I hear some say Pendles with amusement. Well for mine he learned a lot this year about being a leader. He has been used to being left concentrate on his own performance and let everyone else worry about there's but now as captain he has had to be more instrumental in the team than previous. His form may not have been as good as previous years but I believe that's more to do with the team than anything else. On many occasions immediately after games he can be seen talking in depth with the young players offering encouragement and advice. He is a leader learning on the job and unfortunately lost his biggest asset in Maxy early which left a huge whole to be filled.

I know some will be less than happy to admit we had any positives this year but for me I always like to look forward not back and find something good to come of any situation.
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post...Bring in the doom and gloom mob Rolling Eyes

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:11 am
Post subject: Re: The positives from 2014Reply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I know the non supportive among us will say there's no positives to come out of 2014 but for mine I can see a few.

Frost proved he is a very capable defender and a player with an immense desire. Played on many of the games power forwards and was more than competitive for large chunks of the season. Needs to improve his kicking but he certainly knows how to spoil and his closing speed is fantastic.

Langdon probably the unsung hero of our backline this year. Played taller than his stature suggested many times and has a touch of class in his disposal. Very good reader of the game.

Thomas seen enough to know he has a upside. Showed desire to compete and has a huge engine. Needs to dramatically improve his disposal but has the work ethic to do so

Adams came with many unknowns from GWS but showed he will be a player of vital importance going forward. Improved with every game and is a better than average hard ball winner

Armstrong I know he played only late in the season but showed me enough that he is super competitive and Has that touch of arrogance needed

Witts the longer the year went the better he got. He certainly improved his marking skills and showed he is a very competitive beast.

Seedsman has the pace and skills to be a very good player. Is still learning his craft but has shown enough to be a valuable player going forward

Broomhead has the foot skills many of his team mates lack. Still finding his feet but now has shown he has the smarts to be a good AFL player

Pendles I hear some say Pendles with amusement. Well for mine he learned a lot this year about being a leader. He has been used to being left concentrate on his own performance and let everyone else worry about there's but now as captain he has had to be more instrumental in the team than previous. His form may not have been as good as previous years but I believe that's more to do with the team than anything else. On many occasions immediately after games he can be seen talking in depth with the young players offering encouragement and advice. He is a leader learning on the job and unfortunately lost his biggest asset in Maxy early which left a huge whole to be filled.

I know some will be less than happy to admit we had any positives this year but for me I always like to look forward not back and find something good to come of any situation.

Agree on all except for Seedsman. His decisions making doesn't look like it has improved over the last few years. Has all the attributes but hasn't been able to put it together for mine.

I also thought Elliott took his game to another level this year.

Grundy has been very good the last few weeks

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:13 am

bwphantom wrote:

I thought there were plenty of positives, just the negatives are a lot larger and far more worrying - "perceptive fellow" out.

PS: Gotta love this eye rolling stuff Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes so much fun, and makes me feel young again!!

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:35 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
bwphantom wrote:

I thought there were plenty of positives, just the negatives are a lot larger and far more worrying - "perceptive fellow" out.

PS: Gotta love this eye rolling stuff Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes so much fun, and makes me feel young again!!

Take the Wolf off your nick mate...about all you do.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:35 am

The more attacking game plan early on was a positive. We caught some teams off guard and put together a decent run. This was balanced by the fact that by Round 11, opposition coaches had worked out the game plan and we persisted with it to win just 3 out of the last 11 games.

The young back line was a positive - mostly holding its own until the game plan was picked apart after with they couldn't cope with the countless turnovers.

Witts a real positive and clearly cemented his spot at the No 1 ruckman. It's his job to lose.

Maxwell's form was excellent - a real positive, but counteracted by his injury and the real lack of leadership shown by Hertier who was pretty much our next most experienced back man.

Elliot - a positive but crueller by injury.

Armstrong and later Sinclair- both provide some run out of the back line. Amrstrong a real positive (a pleasant surprise).

Backline coaching - excellent all round to get young players up to speed. Counteracted by woful forward and senior coaching.

Adams - a horrific start and I'm guilty in wanting him dropped but adds a lot to the midfield. Counteracted by the loss of Ball.

Overall, an 11-11 season with some real positives but also some real concerns going into 2015. Overall, I'd say 2014 was a failure given we couldn't win just 4 games in the second half of the year to play finals.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:41 am

bwphantom wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
bwphantom wrote:

Take the Wolf off your nick mate...about all you do.

+1

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:49 am

Langdon at pick 65
Will be the next jimmy c
Witts marking around the ground
Sidey elite running skills
The vfl side improving under Tapping
Rebuilding
And now for the long list of negatives.......

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:04 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Pretty good summary 'qldmagpie67' except for your inclusion of Armstrong. Did you see him last night? He's done OK when called up, so I don't want to knock the boy, but Armstrong and Fasolo really let the team down last night when the pressure was on in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I wish both boys well, but they don't have a place in our young team going forward.

Yeah, I can hear the Fasolo supporters protesting and suggesting his elite skills are reason enough to keep him, but they are not. He hasn't a defensive bone in his body and has no footy smarts. I suspect he lacks ticker too. Let's trade and get something for him please.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Great comments, qldmagpie67.
pablo 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:48 pm

There has been some talk in other threads about doom and gloom and the need for experience etc.

I hasitly whacked a few players onto the park.
Before people have a crack at the detail of the positions, the point is to illustrate we have not a bad team and their experience, skill and team work is on a steep steep rise. We WILL play finals next year and push for top 4 the year after.
I for one am absolutely backing Buckley in... he is building a list for sustained success and I am actually enjoying the process of watching it all come together. It will make the 2016 and 2017 premierships all that more juicy. Enjoy the ride people, enjoy watching our boys improve week by week.... How about a little optimism?!?!?!?

B LANGDON FROST WILLIAMS
HB FASOLO BROWN TOOVEY
C LUMUMBA BEAMS YOUNG
HF SWAN CLOKE BROOMHEAD
FWD ELLIOTT REID GOLDSACK

FOLL WITTS PENDLEBURY SIDEBOTTOM
INT KEEFE KENNEDY THOMAS
SUB BLAIR

OTHERS GRUNDY, FREEMAN, ADAMS, DWYER, SCHARENBERG, WHITE

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Good post. I'd also add that Elliott and Sidebottom took their game to another level. The latter will be very close to winning the Copeland this year, will almost certainly go 1 or 2.

Keeffe put in a solid year and Kennedy showed some good signs.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Seedsman will be fine. Just needs a full season without injury and he'll be in the starting 18 every week.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Pretty good summary 'qldmagpie67' except for your inclusion of Armstrong. Did you see him last night? He's done OK when called up, so I don't want to knock the boy, but Armstrong and Fasolo really let the team down last night when the pressure was on in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I wish both boys well, but they don't have a place in our young team going forward.

Yeah, I can hear the Fasolo supporters protesting and suggesting his elite skills are reason enough to keep him, but they are not. He hasn't a defensive bone in his body and has no footy smarts. I suspect he lacks ticker too. Let's trade and get something for him please.

I agree with you on Armstrong in particular.

Got shown up for the depth player he is last night against top opposition.

You can throw Blair in with that as well.

Fasolo is officially at the crossroads and could go either way.

Work rate is still a concern as well as lack of leg speed.

I dare say those are the two reasons he fell to us at what pick 45 when drafted.

If the good deal could be struck I'd entertain trading him.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Adams, Langdon and Witts have immediately replaced Ball, Maxwell and Jolly. Other recent draftees have all come on great and there haven't been any 'busts' so far (unless Shazza is the second coming of Sean Rusling).

We pick up a top tier KPF prospect in Darcy Moore and all the other various trades, drafts and shenanigans. This year has a distinct 2006 feel to it, we're almost there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: