Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tyson Goldsack poised to set sail to Port

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:38 pm
Post subject: GOLDSACK SHALL LIKELY ATTRACT PICK 30 AS COMPENSATIONReply with quote

In the advent of Tyson leaving and chasing an extra investment property or further extension to his abode, what shall the AFL deem as adequate compensation for this free agent?

My thoughts are that $400,000 and 3 years puts him in the Colin Sylvia category of compensation. The Dees were fortunate to get pick 23 (only 4 spots below what Hawks got for Franklin) which they on traded for Bernie Vince.

With us likely to finish 10th it would mean that the Pies could expect a pick of approximately 30 (taking into acct) any other earlier compensatory picks. Bias aside this is probably a fair outcome for a player that averages 12 possessions a game plus excellent defensive tackling pressure.

With a recent push by Hine to move up the draft pecking order, we may combine this pick 30 and our likely second round pick of 31 and bundle it into a first rd pick around 15 and thus guarantee a 10-12 year A grade player.

Your thoughts?

Flashman 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
Flashman wrote:
He's a good ordinary footballer who can play a serviceable (but no more than that) game in a number of positions. His versatility and tackling are the only stand outs of his game imo.

I hope he stays but we'd be silly to even try to match 400K.

surely two pretty good reasons to keep him.

Not really.

Name a position he excels at?

There isn't one. He's solid in a couple of spots and has a crack but he makes a lot of errors, fumbles and doesn't get a lot of the ball or kick many goals.

If we match Ports offer and in the coming seasons we can get blokes who are better at those positions than he is then he quickly becomes superfluous to our needs (and getting paid overs for it).

Depth players don't demand that much money and that's what Goldy has been for most of his career with us.
Az 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Given our run with injuries over the past few years I would say he is absolutely a required player given he's plugged holes in our structure countless times. Even more so now that Maxy is no longer on the park. Who knows, maybe this might be a small indication that we're in fact going for Frawley in the sense that he is another swing man who could take Goldy's spot (without the speed and tackling pressure).
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Looks like a major exodus is on. Oh what a happy culture we have at Collingwood. Razz

RIP Brat Pack. Sad

melliot 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:02 pm
Post subject: Re: GOLDSACK SHALL LIKELY ATTRACT PICK 30 AS COMPENSATIONReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
In the advent of Tyson leaving and chasing an extra investment property or further extension to his abode, what shall the AFL deem as adequate compensation for this free agent?

My thoughts are that $400,000 and 3 years puts him in the Colin Sylvia category of compensation. The Dees were fortunate to get pick 23 (only 4 spots below what Hawks got for Franklin) which they on traded for Bernie Vince.

With us likely to finish 10th it would mean that the Pies could expect a pick of approximately 30 (taking into acct) any other earlier compensatory picks. Bias aside this is probably a fair outcome for a player that averages 12 possessions a game plus excellent defensive tackling pressure.

With a recent push by Hine to move up the draft pecking order, we may combine this pick 30 and our likely second round pick of 31 and bundle it into a first rd pick around 15 and thus guarantee a 10-12 year A grade player.

Your thoughts?

I think you got the bold bit wrong.[/b]
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:06 pm

He is Unrestricted Free Agent so we be Lucky to get anything for him
Az 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:12 pm

I'd argue Melbourne's compensation for Sylvia was slightly bumped up due to him being a pick no. 3 (although it's quite clear Melbourne's recruiting means jack s***), and the fact Melbourne were in dire straights and the AFL thought they would help as best as they could in bumping them up a few places. He was and still is nowhere near pick 23 worthy.
Millane42 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:19 pm
Post subject: Re: GOLDSACK SHALL LIKELY ATTRACT PICK 30 AS COMPENSATIONReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:

Your thoughts?

We'll likely finish 11th not 10th and get pick 8

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:20 pm

The unrestricted aspect merely means the Pies cannot match the deal and Tyson can go to the club of his choice without interference. However, it still means we are eligible for suitable compensation that is geared around the length and salary of his new contract. On that basis, the Sylvia deal has parallels in terms of $$ and contract length and should amount to a second rd draft pick.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:25 pm

collie dog wrote:
Looks like a major exodus is on. Oh what a happy culture we have at Collingwood. Razz

RIP Brat Pack. Sad

Major exodus !!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - you obviously rate Goldsack very highly, unlike anyone else here.
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:26 pm

Not the end of the world if he goes. been a good player. Really only ever a 'bit' player, never taken a game apart, or shut down an opponant. Having said that if your a side ready to have a tilt at a flag he is perfect finishing touch. Could be a win/win for us and Port.
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Flashman wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Flashman wrote:
He's a good ordinary footballer who can play a serviceable (but no more than that) game in a number of positions. His versatility and tackling are the only stand outs of his game imo.

I hope he stays but we'd be silly to even try to match 400K.

surely two pretty good reasons to keep him.

Not really.

Name a position he excels at?

There isn't one. He's solid in a couple of spots and has a crack but he makes a lot of errors, fumbles and doesn't get a lot of the ball or kick many goals.

If we match Ports offer and in the coming seasons we can get blokes who are better at those positions than he is then he quickly becomes superfluous to our needs (and getting paid overs for it).

Depth players don't demand that much money and that's what Goldy has been for most of his career with us.

I agree, as i noted in another thread, he is perfect for a side that is about ready to have a crack at a flag. He has the mix for a team that has all the 'bits of the puzzle' that say a Port almost does. In our current postion of transistion he is almost a waste. If we are going down the żouth' path as Buckley is intending then a bit role player at 27 (almost 28?) is probably not in the right age catogry. Then again i am not the coach.....$400 clicks a year....hmmm does seem a bit steep.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Bucks was last seen slapping Goldys Dachshund. Goldy has responded by whoring himself to the highest bidder that can offer a 2 bedroom flat in close proximity to Alberton.

Bucks has done it again.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:34 pm

"it" being responded by whoring himself to the highest bidder that can offer a 2 bedroom flat in close proximity to Alberton?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:39 pm

His form has wavered as the season has gone on and he's reverted back to the good average player he's always been IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: