Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Luke Ball Retires

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Then you obviously didn't watch their joint press conference after the game great mutual respect between two former champions of the Club.

Was at the game so I missed that, hopefully it's on the website, cheers

Yes, its the main story, at the moment. I'd post a link but, unfortunately, it just seems to give the basic site URL.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:20 am

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Then you obviously didn't watch their joint press conference after the game great mutual respect between two former champions of the Club.

Yes it's on the site, and there's no animosity between them. There is also footage of him straight after the game. And the guard of honour.

Watch it guys.

Thanks Bally, a true legend and a gentleman.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:41 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Yes, its the main story, at the moment. I'd post a link but, unfortunately, it just seems to give the basic site URL.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2014-08-30/bucks-and-ball-face-the-media

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Very sad to see him go as he definitely had more to give, but it seems the body's not up to it. Another Premiership hero who's left the game too early.

If pressure from Bucks or the club was the deciding factor in Ball leaving, I'd be calling for Buckley's head right now. Viewing the press conference though, that is clearly not the case.

He may have only been with us a short while, but Ball is right up there among my favourites to ever play for the club. Thanks for 2010 and everything since.

roar 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:47 pm

^^ Ball is far too classy to show any animosity towards Bucks or the Club so I would not take the presser as proof of anything. In fact, I am almost certain that Bucks made the decision for him so you should really be calling for his head.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:02 pm

Double.

Last edited by AN_Inkling on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:02 pm

I don't think so, Ball went too far in praising Bucks and detailing how he made the decision to retire for that to be true. When leaving the Saints he stayed mostly quiet about Ross.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:04 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Double.
I haven't heard anything like that before.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:50 pm

roar wrote:
^^ Ball is far too classy to show any animosity towards Bucks or the Club so I would not take the presser as proof of anything. In fact, I am almost certain that Bucks made the decision for him so you should really be calling for his head.

Almost certain on the basis of what?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm

roar wrote:

Have to say that was how I saw and heard the press conference. It soudned to me as Luke hinted that it was Bucks's decision, with Luke being sublimely gracious because that's the kind of bloke he is.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Mugwump wrote:
roar wrote:

Have to say that was how I saw and heard the press conference. It soudned to me as Luke hinted that it was Bucks's decision, with Luke being sublimely gracious because that's the kind of bloke he is.

Not how I saw it at all. If he was really retiring against his will there's no way he would have gone out of his way to say how much he respects Buckley and to thank him for his advice to announce it publicly and soak up the adoration. He did not speak effusively about Lyon when leaving the Saints. The club yes, but not Lyon.

I take Ball at his word. He wanted to play on, but when he found out he needed back surgery to do so, he decided to call it a day.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:39 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
roar wrote:

Not how I saw it at all. If he was really retiring against his will there's no way he would have gone out of his way to say how much he respects Buckley and to thank him for his advice to announce it publicly and soak up the adoration. He did not speak effusively about Lyon when leaving the Saints. The club yes, but not Lyon.

I take Ball at his word. He wanted to play on, but when he found out he needed back surgery to do so, he decided to call it a day.

I can think of reasons why he might have (i'd not be surprised to see him employed in the club in the next year), but it was very much a matter of interpretation, and you could be right. Something about the suggestion that the conversation with the coach was hard, and the way Buckley smiled. Even if he was pushed, btw, I am not sure that'd be a wrong call. I think we were near the end.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:41 pm

That's what I meant to say.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 pm

This is a little late but better late than never!

Thanks for the memories Luke Ball Smile

He played a really good final game and I'll never forget his contributions to the club between 2010 to 2014. I still believe recruiting Ball helped us win the flag in 2010 and he was huge in 2011 especially in the finals campaign as we all remember.

I didn't really think he was that good at St.Kilda but he's done well at Collingwood and cemented himself into Collingwood's history as a fine player and gentleman of the club. It was very sad clapping him off for the final time but I was glad to be there for that moment and credit to Hawthorn fans and players despite their arrogance for standing and applauding Ball's send-off.

My favourite Luke Ball memories at Collingwood are his Premiership winning moment in 2010 and how humble he was in victory and his goal-saving moments against West Coast and Hawthorn in the 2011 final series. His ongoing leadership should not be forgotten either, he was huge in that department.

Thanks for everything Luke and good luck in the next stage of your life!

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:53 pm

^ LIKE.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: