Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Luke Ball Retires

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It hurts to see another legend go. Crying or Very sad
Have loved your work Luke Ball, both on and off the field. Grateful thanks for the part you played in 2010. So glad you retire with a premiership medal with Collingwood. Thanks too for almost single handedly getting us into the GF of 2011.
A true champion bloke, courageous player and wonderful leader. You'll be greatly missed by players and supporters alike. Was hoping you'd be able to play an on-field role in 2015, but looks like it wasn't to be. With all your fine attributes, you'll have a brilliant post-footy career.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Sad day for Collingwood. Was hoping he would go one more year. Surely we can retain his services at the club as an assistant coach next year.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 pm

King Malta wrote:
Been my favourite player since arriving from the Saints in 2010.

His selfless and aggressive play has been one of the most exciting constants in our team in the last few years, and I think he should be admired for the way he goes about it.

I also feel we likely wouldn't have won the flag without him, so thanks Bally, we'll miss you mate

Sad

+1 I'll never forget that wretched Carlton game where even an ACL couldn't keep you down! All that work in the centre for the Saints and then for us finally took their toll!? In footy you had the smarts but most of the time it is just a case of do it and you excelled in both! Glad you ended up a Pies player
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Nooo,this is one retirement i didn't want to hear.I was hoping he would stay on for one more year at least.

Well done,Luke on your career.You've been a champion through and through.We couldn't have won the premiership without you,and you'll always be a Collingwood immortal for that.All the best with your retirement.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:44 pm

Sad to see but not surprising either.

Luke still gave me than any other player but you could see he was laboring to be as effective as he once was. Over a decade of selfless team play and using your body as a human battering ram will do that.

Still I thought he was worth another year just as a backup/mentor for the young blokes in a long year.

Well done Luke. I agree with the sentiments previously expressed that 2010 wouldn't have happened without you (or Jolly). Bally's class towards his old club after the victory in the replay is a shining example of what sportsmanship is all about and shows just what a tremendous human being he is.

All the best champ.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:04 pm

There wouldn't be a football supporter worth their salt who would give Luke Ball a bad rap. It is mystifying the way the Lyon led saints treated him, especially after his captaincy and then efforts in the 09 decider. History will prove the pies right and it has put to bed forever the '66 jibes from saints supporters. How good was the delivery of another cup our way instead of theirs, in no small part because we had Luke Ball wearing number 12 in our side rather than number 18 in theirs?
Thanks for everything Luke and all the best for the future whatever it holds for you.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Was supposedly washed up 5 years ago, hence came to us at the end of 2009. Crashed 5 more years out of his body in Black and White and thoroughly deserves a place as a Collingwood legend.

Class act on and off the field.

Thanks Bally, sorry you have to leave so soon but really glad you came, it's been a blast.

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 pm

A true professional to the very end. As said earlier, sad that he didn't get to the 100 games. Bloody knee reconstructions.

Luke will be successful in what ever he does next.

Thanks Bally.

Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:28 pm

5 years at Collingwood

3 Grand Finals

1 Premiership

1 NAB Cup Premiership

Getting Luke Ball for Pick 30

Priceless

TYRL

blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 pm

The trade period of 2009 should be made into a mini series, with the ending scene being that magic day in October. The premiership medal, the hug with Goddard; it would be great TV. I'd watch it!

Loved the guy! Will be missed and a damn shame he's not able to run around for another year.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks Luke, you will now forever be a Collingwood legend.

An absolute warrior, who gave every ounce, every game.

And thanks Ross, you absolute tosser.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:38 pm

I am now, upon his retirement, publicly admitting my man crush.
I was rapt when we signed him and I used to cheer him on especially loudly, partly to stick it to St Kilda who I despise.
But then when you watched him as a Pies player, game by game you got to see exactly how he plays. Intelligent, tough, hard running, team oriented stuff and above he is a leader.
How terrific was he over 2010-2011? Run, tackle, smother, whip out a hand pass, be at the bottom of a pack, shepherd a team mate, run 50 meters to congratulate a team mate....kick the sealer v West Coast 2011 Qual Final, kick the winner v Hawthorn 2011 Prelim Final.
One of our greatest ever recruits from an opposition club.
I hope we get 5 more games out of him this year. (one can only hope).
Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Absolutely rapt to have you at the Pies, Bally. A crucial piece of the puzzle we needed to snag the flag in 2010 for sure. One of my favourites, and many thanks, Luke.

Go the Pies
MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Really disappointed that we couldn't get another year out of him- for whatever reason.
We need him
In my mind he is the best existing player to be brought into the club in my lifetime.
His leadership, work rate, character and example to others alone was worth double what we paid him.
Without him I'd doubt we'd have won 2010.

What I'm really gutted about is that another 19 games and we could have had father son in the future !!

Thanks for all you've done Luke. Congratulations on a fantastic career. I hope he is around the club in some capacity in the years to come.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Not only a fine player but a great example in the game. A man of discretion and poise in his conduct on and off-field. Couldn't last at St. Kilda, probably for that reason. Farewell, champ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: