Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Paul Roos to cull top picks (by Jay Clark)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:24 pm
Post subject: Paul Roos to cull top picks (by Jay Clark)Reply with quote

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/paul-roos-to-cull-top-picks-in-bid-to-regenerate-melbournes-list/story-fni5f91a-1227037950219

Quote:
The club is set to make decisions on the uncertain futures of out-of-contract trio Sam Blease (pick 17), Luke Tapscott (1Cool and James Strauss (19) when player reviews begin next Monday.

The Herald Sun understands Tapscott and Blease (23 years old) and Strauss (24) will all attempt to reignite their careers elsewhere next season if they are unable to secure new deals at AAMI Park.

Just rubbish development from this club. Surly they cant get that many picks wrong? They obviously don't educate these young men as far as football goes.

I remember a thread in BF (from about 08? 09?) about who has the better list, in regards to young players. It was a thread that was directed to Melb Vs Coll. Which club drafts better and who has the better young list. Melb of course won the poll in a landslide, but many of the Pies played in a winning GF and are still actually playing. And even since then, its safe to say that Collingwood has drafted much, much, better than Melbourne has. A part of me puts the difference down to player development, which Melbourne clearly lack in.

Anyway, back on topic. Tapscott stood out last year I thought. Blease and Strauss I'm not sure about. What do you guys think?

silverphoenix Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Would actually be happy to pick up Tapscott for a 3rd round pick. Still young, but with some experience. Is an absolute bull of a player either on a flank or runs through the middle.
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Someone like Tapscott might be handy to rotate back and through the middle with Marley Williams.

Late 2nd round or 3rd round.
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:43 am

Jack Watts, still think this guy has serious talent...but is just not able to show it in such a poor quality team....would make a good half back or Half Forward in a Magpie side!!!
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:25 pm

sam blease?? unless i'm thinking of someone else, he's an absolute gun...someone correct me?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:09 pm

my mate said he would shoot Blease if he saw him in the street. May sum up his perspective a tad!
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 pm

I wonder if they'd entertain our first pick for Jesse Hogan?
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14 pm

would look at Tapscott, the rest are rubbish
Rexy17 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Blease and Strauss gone
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:00 pm

I remember wishing that we could have taken both Sidebottom and Blease in 2008. He was so quick and, it seemed, just what we needed. There was even a chance he could have been taken at 11 (ended up going at 17). Their careers obviously went in different directions from that point and unfortunately it's now looking like another career has been ruined by the MFC.
Az 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:55 pm

The amount of great young talent this club has taken in and absolutely destroyed is shameful. It can't be a knock on the players as they can't all be duds, it seriously has to come down to very poor development. Really feel for guys like Blease, who if drafted by us or hell ANY other club, could have become at least a B grader. Now it looks like his career is basically ruined for having been unlucky enough to be drafted to a club who if not for their history, should have folded already.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:13 am

Az wrote:
The amount of great young talent this club has taken in and absolutely destroyed is shameful. It can't be a knock on the players as they can't all be duds, it seriously has to come down to very poor development. Really feel for guys like Blease, who if drafted by us or hell ANY other club, could have become at least a B grader. Now it looks like his career is basically ruined for having been unlucky enough to be drafted to a club who if not for their history, should have folded already.

Yeah I tend to agree, you can't be that unlucky, development is just as important as recruiting.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:36 am

Az wrote:

It's either really poor recruiting by Melbourne (meaning the players they've picked aren't as good as they first anticipate) or it's poor development on the players they did recruit. I think it's the latter to be honest.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 am

Jezza wrote:
Az wrote:

It's either really poor recruiting by Melbourne (meaning the players they've picked aren't as good as they first anticipate) or it's poor development on the players they did recruit. I think it's the latter to be honest.

Most of these guys were highly touted juniors so hard to imagine that they've just been unlucky enough to grab all the duds. At a minimum, they're over represented in the dud department, more likely some combo of talent identification and poor development.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-22/dees-delist-former-top-picks

Quote:
Melbourne had seven top 20 draft picks across 2008 and 2009 and only three - Jack Watts, Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott - remain at the club.

Trengove who they just tried to offload but Richmond caught them out. Watts who is Melbournes answer to Melksham. And Tapscott who, IMO, would have been a good pick up. But they've held onto him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: