Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Class Of '14

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:20 pm
Post subject: Class Of '14Reply with quote

Taylor Adams - debuted for GWS in '12, but played his first games for us this year. Strongly staked his claim to be our insidest mid for the next decade.

Tim Broomhead - Class, speed, good footy brain and accurate in front of goal. Others see Sidey and Daicos and I'm not going to disagree with them. But I see a faster, more resolute Didak and it excites me.

Tom Langdon - I don't care who gets the Rising Star. Here is the best debut season by any player, let alone a number 65 pick, in many a year. What a find. Staggering that folks were into Hine the year after he found this bloke that no one else was vaguely interested in.

Tony Armstrong - debuted for Adelaide years ago, but his first game for us was only a few weeks ago. I lol at people who were denigrating him before he'd even played a game, with shit like "you know we are scraping the bottom of the barrel when Armstrong gets a game". He's been very good. He's fast, composed and efficient with the ball. He's everything that all the bitching whingers say they want so he should make them happy. He makes me happy too. And he can play eight quarters Wink

Jackson Ramsay - great to see him finally debut, not a lot to go on yet but he didn't embarrass himself

As far as unearthing players goes, this season is a triumph.

Class of '13: Grundy, Witts, Kennedy, Frost and Josh Thomas.

Class of '12: Elliott, Seedsman and Williams.

The class of '15 will very likely include Scharenberg, Freeman, Karnezis, Moore and hopefully Marsh.

I've left out the Clinton Youngs and Quentin Lynch's intentionally based on age when recruited as free agents.

We all know that we have heaps of young players but the point of this thread is to highlight how it is being done. We are rolling three to five quality young players into our squad each year. This is the recipe for sustained success. We are a game out of the eight and it is the closest we are ever going to get to a 'bottom out'.

Ramsay Frost Scharenberg

Armstrong Moore Langdon

Seedsman Adams Kennedy

Broomhead Marsh Elliott

Freeman Witts Karnezis

Grundy Thomas Willaims

There's a fairly even and capable starting 18 entirely comprised of players that will have debuted for Collingwood SINCE BUCKS TOOK OVER THREE SHORT YEARS AGO.

This is why there are only fourteen dickheads on Nicks who want him moved on, and more than five times as many who can smell what Bucks is cooking up.

My final point concerns a team that the trolls love to fete - the Cats.

I want you to pretend you are a Cats supporter and you are watching the 3rd quarter last night.

How do you console yourself like Scott tried to convince them all they should in the press conference? How do you see anything but a brittle, aging group standing on the edge of the precipice, with zero upside?

What does the Cats best 18 look like if you only count guys they've debuted in the last three years?

In a couple of years we will MURDER them every time we play them Smile

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your post, we do have a good crop of young players coming through, with assumedly, Moore to be added in November. I'll disagree on the Cats though, they also have quite a few young players (more games from players under 24 than us this year). What they also have, that we don't, is a number of over 30s which will need replacing very soon.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:35 pm

They have guys like Josh Caddy and Mitch Duncan who are great, young players.

But as you say, they have the Kellys and StevieJs and Enrights and Mackies and when those guys are gone, their worst five players on the field will be BAD. They simply haven't been investing in the future (like we certainly have) and it is going to catch up with them.

Ten consecutive goals kicked against them last night.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Unbelievable that out of all our draftees last year (not including rookies) only Langdon remains standing.

This is a major worry right now with Scharenberg out with an ACL, Freeman and Marsh with serious hamstring concerns.

If this draft turns out to be a turkey it's going to cause us significant problems in the seasons to come and will probably decide our fate between being a genuine premiership chance or just making up the numbers in the final eight.

Need at least 2 of those 3 to succeed as quality AFL players.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:47 pm

Lololol Breadcrawl nice post minus the semi personal attacks on us 'Sacks', sure there is plenty of good young talent coming into the club, but some will fall by the wayside on the way, that's only natural... we're more concerned with how they are used, and we are far from convinced about Bucks.. and it's not only us, many others who had voted YES have also noted their concern - but I must admit, even I (who seriously doubts Bucks and has for _YEARS_) almost had a tear swelling in my eye after watching the after match pressy - he's not going to get the sack, even if we lose to the Hawks next week by 15 goals, so we'll all watch this space and see where it goes next year - but mark my words, he's started to run out of time to prove his worth. PASSION 4 PIES!!!
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:10 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Unbelievable that out of all our draftees last year (not including rookies) only Langdon remains standing.

This is a major worry right now with Scharenberg out with an ACL, Freeman and Marsh with serious hamstring concerns.

If this draft turns out to be a turkey it's going to cause us significant problems in the seasons to come and will probably decide our fate between being a genuine premiership chance or just making up the numbers in the final eight.

Scharenberg and Freeman are the ones we need. Marsh is a long shot and we've already had Langdon pay off from that draft, so let's not get greedy. Scharenberg's a certainty if he gets his body right, and Freeman certainly has attributes we are desperate for.

I think our 2012 picks are coming along well:

Grundy: a lock to make it.
Broomhead: see above.
Kennedy: very close also. Stature the only concern, but has shown about enough despite lacking fitness this season.

These three players should be able to give our team a huge boost next season. As third year players they, the mids especially, will be ready to take the next step in their development.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:20 pm

great post bready!
roar 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:25 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Spot on, swoop.

I expect Scharenberg and Freeman to be guns IF they can stay on the park. If not, we are phucked.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
great post bready!

Seconded. Great post indeed

Just to add to that, consider that 9 of the 22 players (10 of 23 if you count Leon) who played in the 2010 GF are no longer playing for us.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Scharenberg and Freeman are the ones we need. Marsh is a long shot and we've already had Langdon pay off from that draft, so let's not get greedy. Scharenberg's a certainty if he gets his body right, and Freeman certainly has attributes we are desperate for.

I think our 2012 picks are coming along well:

Grundy: a lock to make it.
Broomhead: see above.
Kennedy: very close also. Stature the only concern, but has shown about enough despite lacking fitness this season.

These three players should be able to give our team a huge boost next season. As third year players they, the mids especially, will be ready to take the next step in their development.

I think your underselling Marsh a bit.

If he can overcome his serious hammy and continue to develop at the rate he showed this season he could be anything.

At the very least he could become another clone of a player you love in Sinclair albeit a bigger more powerful version.

That would be good enough for me.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:17 pm

^^Just meant that, like Langdon, he was picked late in the draft. To have one 70+ pick pay off is great, to have two from the same draft would be a minor miracle.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Just meant that, like Langdon, he was picked late in the draft. To have one 70+ pick pay off is great, to have two from the same draft would be a minor miracle.

Seen a bit of him in the VFL this year Ink. The difference between him at the beginning of the year to the end was huge. Came on in leaps & bounds. He certainly still needs to find more, but I think he is up to it. Certainly has the speed to worry most opponents & when you have some height as well, then you become dangerous. Needs to improve his kicking like most of our club. But he is coming along nicely. The Hammy he done a couple of weeks ago is a worry though. That is going to be a long term injury. Hamstring tendon partially off the bone.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:13 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

We're in need of a few of those. Wink

Let us pray.

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Bravo Breadcrawl!
Sensible and rational post- a rarity these past few weeks on here.
Hard to disagree with any of that- yet we know some will still try Wink
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:55 pm
Post subject: Re: Class Of '14Reply with quote

Breadcrawl wrote:
Tony Armstrong - debuted for Adelaide years ago, but his first game for us was only a few weeks ago. I lol at people who were denigrating him before he'd even played a game, with shit like "you know we are scraping the bottom of the barrel when Armstrong gets a game". He's been very good. He's fast, composed and efficient with the ball. He's everything that all the bitching whingers say they want so he should make them happy. He makes me happy too. And he can play eight quarters Wink

That was me. Seems to have made an impression Wink

Normally you and I are pretty much on the same page mate, and believe me, I'm glad that Armstrong has stepped up the last few weeks. However, I stand by my assessment of him (albeit I would probably put it less harshly now), that Armstrong is a depth player only. Capable depth, it would seem, but with a full list to choose from he would still be well down the pecking order imo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: