Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Electric Shaver??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brenny 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:21 pm
Post subject: Electric Shaver??Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting myself an electric shaver. Currently I use manual Shick Hydro, which works well - but it time consuming and I hate doing it.

I'm wondering if anybody here uses an electric shaver (or partners) and if so what do you think of them. Are they expensive to run (replacing blades / heads) and what is the cut like?

Thanks everybody

Cheers,
Go Pies
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the cut is always hopeless. I spend my days wavering between using an electric one because I'm sick of the blood and using a manual because I can't stand feeling like I forgot to shave.

Electrics are probably not much more expensive than manuals, given the ridiculous cost of blades (I find that I only get 3 to 5 shaves out of a blade before the blade starts taking chunks out of my flesh).

FWIW, I have a Braun 7 series with the cleaning/charging station but I only use it when I absolutely have to (eg, short periods of interstate travel, when you can't justify buying a new blade razor but you're not allowed to take your old one on the plane).
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Good question and I would like to see some recommendations.

I tried a philishave like the one pictured below several years ago which left quite a bit of stubble particularly around my chin, and my facial hair is a medim shade of brown and quite fine. I imagine it wouldn't have done a thing for a person who gets a five o'clock shadow daily or who has course black hair.

I have often wondered whether a Remington really lives up to its old "shave as close as a blade, or your money back" motto, but I CBF wasting time and money to find out.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Don't like em. I always found the electric ones are only good if you use them every day. If you let go over the weekend, Monday is shocking.

I used to use the manual with real razor blades but I've been using the Gillette Fusion for a while now. Heads are ridiculously expensive compared to the straight blades but I get a good month or 2 out of each before they need a change and no blood.

ps, I have a palmolive shave stick in the shower, I lather up quickly in there and shave by touch, no mirror, only takes a couple of minutes.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Agree with other posters; the electric ones come in two sorts:

1: foil ones which are kind to your skin and don't cut particularly well

2: the other sort as posted by the Seedmeister which cut better but rip your skin up something chronic.

If you shave every day, either sort can be OK. I used to use a foil one for five or six years and it was pretty OK, then I switched to a Phillishave and it was better if I had a couple of days growth but tended to give me a rash. Either sort of electric one took longer than a blade. (My facial hair is medium-fine and moderate, neither particularly heavy nor particularly light.) I used a blade instead from time to time, especially if I was going out and feeling lucky, or just wanted a really close, smooth shave. When I was about 28 or 30 I stopped shaving and I've had a very short beard ever since, which I take care of with electric barbers clippers about once a week. Takes less than one minute. Doubt I'll ever change that. Shaving is a pain in the backside. But if I had to go back to being clean shaven for some reason, I'd use a blade for sure.

PS: don't waste your money on fancy creams and rubbish. Ordinary bathroom soap works every bit as well.

PPS: yup, in the shower by touch works well. Don't try that with an electric one.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:49 pm

I prefer one of these

Best shave you'll have this side of a straight razor.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Wokko wrote:
I prefer one of these

Got 2 of them, still prefer the Gillette fusion as I don't need to pay attention. Those do a great job but you actually have to be thinking about what you're doing so you don't slice your face open.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 pm

I still haven't found a perfect razor. Using ALDI 5-blade razors at the moment, which cut me up pretty badly the first time but haven't caused me much trouble since. Seem to last a while, too.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Blades are much better, I use Gillette Mach or Fusion or whatever its called (3 blades?) Don't waste your time with 4 or 5 bladed shavers. just gimmicks and I find they are counter-productive (blade is too wide).

when it comes to razors you get what you pay for.

was given an expensive electric for Christmas, used it twice then went back to razors.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
I prefer one of these

Got 2 of them, still prefer the Gillette fusion as I don't need to pay attention. Those do a great job but you actually have to be thinking about what you're doing so you don't slice your face open.

Yep fusions, buy up big when they are on special.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:55 pm

All of them?
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:03 pm

You need to pony up about $300 - $400 bucks for a good one. The Phillips wet and dry one is the best I have found as I us it in the shower. Use a good shave cream (hydra gel) or Kings Oil and you are set.

Because you are in the shower, the steam and water keeps everything running smooth and the cut is pretty close.

It takes a couple of weeks for your skin to get used to it if your shaving everyday but its worth it.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 pm

5150 wrote:
You need to pony up about $300 - $400 bucks for a good one. The Phillips wet and dry one is the best I have found as I us it in the shower. Use a good shave cream (hydra gel) or Kings Oil and you are set.

Because you are in the shower, the steam and water keeps everything running smooth and the cut is pretty close.

It takes a couple of weeks for your skin to get used to it if your shaving everyday but its worth it.

Does it work well on your balls?

4pies Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:38 pm

swoop42 wrote:
5150 wrote:

post of the year !

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:58 pm

4pies wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
5150 wrote:

post of the year !

Still waiting for the answer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: