Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 20 - Bendigo vs Collingwood at Queen Elizabeth Oval

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated, but my player reviews...

7. Ben Kennedy
In a word, DYNAMITE. His official disposal count of 20 surprises me, because I could have sworn he had a lot more than that. Be that as it may, he was in everything, especially in that magnificent 3rd term. Kicked 2 goals (1 of them an absolute ripper wheeling out of a stoppage nearly 50 out) and even took a screamer on Q-Stick’s head!

Back in the seniors this week? He’ll be hard to leave out…

21. Quinten Lynch
Once again, played almost exclusively as a key forward and returned a handsome 5 goals. His marking, particularly of the contested variety, was very good. Set shot goal kicking, for the most part, was on-song. Will he get a farewell game against the Hawks? Would be nice, but the VFL could certainly use him in this form.

33. Patrick Karnezis
Was thrown around a bit, playing the majority of time on the ball but also a little bit in defence and forward as well. Ended up kicking 4 goals from the midfield. Will definitely in contention for the seniors against Hawthorn, but I’d almost lean towards keeping him back to help the VFL team, let him play finals as a reward for a good season.

35. Matthew Scharenberg
Bloody terrible news about his knee, compounded by the fact that, in his limited gametime, he was playing alright at half back. Just hope he can get back in the 2nd half of next year…

37. Kyle Martin
Copped the hard tag from Devin McFarlane and probably broke even with his direct opponent, who was really getting into him. Strangely enough, Kyle got some protection from the umps this time, who gave him 3-4 free kicks from infringements.

It was the 2nd half, particularly the third quarter, where Martin came alive, kicking 3 goals, winning plenty of clearances and accumulating heaps of the ball. In the end, he just torched McFarlane, to the point where I think they just dropped the hard tag and decided to go head-to-head. Along with Couch, Kyle was the predominant catalyst for our game-winning burst in the 3rd term.

Finished up with 32 disposals, 6 tackles and those 3 goals. Easily our best for the night. With all these injuries, does he come in? Well, I'd have him in, but I'm not sure Buckley would...

38. Peter Yagmoor
Played well enough without being outstanding, in VFL game number 50. Played more as a negating small, with his direct opponent being (from where I sat,) Tyrone Downie. With the decimation of our backline, he’ll likely have to play tall again in the elimination final.

40. Paul Seedsman
Liked his game, switching between half back and wing. Finished with 24 disposals. Offered good run and went on some attacking dashes through the middle which were just delightful to watch. Unloaded a beauty of a goal from fifty-five metres at one point. Just as (or depending on how you view footy, MORE pleasing) were his 2nd team high 10 tackles. Is well in contention for a recall.

44. Corey Gault
Played as a key forward and worked in tandem with Greenhough in the ruck. Played as our primary ruckman after half time and, while he started off there in rather ordinary fashion, fought his way back in and ended up, I thought, getting the better of Lamben and Redfern. Some of his taps were just fantastic to watch, feeding the midfield like a natural ruckman. Stui’s boy continues to impress...

Bring him in on Friday? As harsh as it may sound, not for mine. I’d rather let him see out the year playing either key forward or primary ruck for the VFL team. That being said, he has easily secured another year as a rookie, for mine.

From the VFL boys who, let’s face it, were more than just making up the numbers Friday night…

- Tom Couch had a very good game in his first outing back from injury. Along with Suckling, Martin and Kennedy, he won some pivotal clearances during our 3rd quarter purple patch. His return was very timely given our injuries. And he looks to have been in a good paddock since last I saw him play for us…

- Scott Greenhough played well enough, splitting the ruck duties with Gault. Ended up with 44 hitouts, yet I felt his tapwork wasn’t as influential as Corey’s.

- Mat Suckling played his best game for us, finishing with 21 disposals, the majority of them (by my eye) either contested possies or clearances. Was huge in that 3rd term.

- Ned McKeown played across half back and, while he didn’t gather much of it, played okay. Went on 1 or 2 runs through the middle that almost made me think I was watching his father in his prime. Kicking wasn’t as good as his dad’s, but all in all, a solid debut. Looking forward to see him back it up against a higher calibre opponent this week.

- Liked Jake Williams’ game. Used the ball very well. Set the bar for Kennedy, taking the first specky for the night. I only wish he were 10cm taller, because then I’d be all for him as a rookie at Collingwood…

- Jack Hellier was very good in his first game back in almost a month. Looked a shade rusty early, but worked his way in and came to the party along with the rest of midfield in the third. Like Couch, his return was very timely in light of our injuries.

- Also liked the look of Trent Cody, on debut. Some of his tackling and defensive and 2nd efforts were just delightful to watch, even when the game was done and dusted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: