Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How do bring back the passion ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
Thanks for trying Joffa. I've been wondering for a few years now why our Ponsford stand is regularly under-populated and regularly out-noised by the opposition. How is it that the largest club can't fill its own stand except on Anzac Day? How many times has our stand been full this year?

Could the problem be the number of Legends Memberships being sold? I know plenty of people who buy Legends packs and go to 2-3 games a year. These packs are used to gain entry and seating to blockbusters and to qualify for Finals' tickets. This would explain the no shows I think. Collingwood needs to introduce the re-selling concept used successfully by other clubs. If you know you are not attending a particular game, you can have the club re-sell the ticket. There are quite a lot of interstate and overseas Legends Members who would take this opportunity.

Other issues are, in this order:
Scheduling: we have been screwed royally by the AFL this year with the Sunday Twilight Disaster
Variable Ticket Pricing: designed to screw loyal supporters of the big clubs, this has been a disaster of a decision.
Food/beverages: 2 drinks set me back $18 on Saturday night. That is blatant price gouging.
Noise: I know I am not in the generation that they are trying to attract, but the constant noise pollution at games is just awful. Ads, screeching boundary-line spruikers, kiss-cam, LoudOMeter, noisy countdowns. We don't want it. Although some sections of the crowd seem to enjoy watching couples kissing!

I know the AFL employed a new guy last year who wanted to improve the match day experience. He promptly introduced these unwanted American ideas and who knows, he may be the same man who designed the Variable Ticketing.

Neil summed up what I feel are the issues totally. So put me as a +1 for Neil's points.

I am one of those overseas legends supporters. If I could resell my ticket, it would be perfect. I have mum and dad pass it around so that I know only Collingwood supporters are sitting there but it is so annoying. The scheduling this year has been awful - even for us overseas.

Get the reserves back before the game, get rid of all that scoreboard rubbish and the noise... gahhh! It is impossible to even talk to the person next to you and I always had a tradition of calling nana at half time... it is impossible with all of the stuff blaring constantly. It is almost like "Get out of my face!"

The cheersquad issue is HUGE and affects the rest of the stand. If they can't cheer anymore because it is too daggy or they can't be bothered, there at least has to be an overflow of flags/floggers and small banners so it LOOKS like we actually have supporters. Also - time to get the banner back to how it was.

Basically, all they have to do is look at footage from 15 years ago and then they can get an idea. It isn't rocket science. Whoever 'they are' - well they have wrecked it for us and they are the only ones that can fix it.

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Adz 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:19 am

The scheduling factor is overrated. We had our lowest crowd on Saturday night, so I'm not sure that makes a huge difference.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:26 am

how long has it been since the cs has been on the bottom deck? i have seen a lot of footage where the cs was on the first deck of the old western stand.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:25 am

The noise at games is unacceptable. I love loud rock and roll but not when I'm trying to speak with the people around me about the game. The constant high level of noise makes the crowd noise irrelevant.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Need to play interstate teams and lousy
víc sides on a small ground like aami park
close and personal
it was a big mistake to play all home games ať
the G.
Unless you get 60000 plus you get no atmosphere
Afl needs to build a small stadium close to mcg.
Max capacity 30 to 35 thousand.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:52 pm

^ And playing home games at the opposition's home ground??
Home to St Kilda, Wbulldogs, and sometimes North at Etihad doesn't work for me.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:33 pm

I agree, KM. Also, Etihad can't usefully be an alternative ground to the MCG, anyway - it is too short for AFL football.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I agree, KM. Also, Etihad can't usefully be an alternative ground to the MCG, anyway - it is too short for AFL football.

ground dimensions have never been legislated. just look at the scg.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:20 am

I was worried and hesitant to come back and see how the topic fared, Well done everyone it didn't end up in one big shit fight.
cheers Smile

King Monkey 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Agree with most of what's been said here.

Main issues for diminishing passion and atmosphere (keeping it to a few main points:
- Ticketing/Seating allocation (I'm happy with my seats, but we're always surrounded by plenty of empties).
- Game Day "experience"/intrusion.
- Over zealous ground officials when supporters get loud.
- An aesthetically poor, over-coached, micro-managed game that is a germ of what it was 10-15-20-25-30 years ago.
- Irrational and inconsistent umpiring.
- Lack of a loud and inspirational Cheer Squad to get things rolling.

King Monkey 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:28 pm

And another thing -
I change the TV or radio now when a footballer speaks. Every time one of those drones open their mouth, a little bit of passion curls away in a corner.

"it is what it is", "a good test to see where we're at", "they're a good side and we'll have to be at our best", "we've been working hard on the training track to turn it around", "we've had a long meeting where we told each other it's not acceptable", "our level of performance was not what our fans expect", and so on.........

Enough!!!!!!

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:47 pm

King Monkey wrote:
And another thing -
I change the TV or radio now when a footballer speaks. Every time one of those drones open their mouth, a little bit of passion curls away in a corner.

"it is what it is", "a good test to see where we're at", "they're a good side and we'll have to be at our best", "we've been working hard on the training track to turn it around", "we've had a long meeting where we told each other it's not acceptable", "our level of performance was not what our fans expect", and so on.........

Enough!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNASVPZ-tQE

you remember this? Laughing

King Monkey 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Laughing
Haven't heard TCAP for a while.
Laughing

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Aside from ridiculous game times and days I think the biggest thing that has ebbed away my enthusiasm for game day is the lack of a curtain raiser. You could get in early, watch a half of footy, see the crowd building - and at the same time the tension and atmosphere built.

That's totally gone. I rarely get to a game more then 5 minutes before the first bounce. Nothing they do on game day, from live bands to dancing is going to change that.

It's really hard to put a finger on it. Perhaps the "style of football" has more to do with it than we think. As I said somewhere else I didn't enjoy 2011 at all. The football we were playing (perhaps because we were being found out) was horrible. The keepings off is akin to so many other sports. It's just so boring. Hawthorn are an insanely skilled team but keepings off is as boring as bat shit - whether you win the flag or not.

I know a lot of people have said don't meddle with tradition but I honestly think that only having 16 on the field should be given a go. See if the additional running results in more "stay at home" players.

My kids aren't quite old enough yet for me to gauge whether the match day stuff the club are putting on would appeal to them. Can anyone else comment?

Dunno... seems like a bit of a lost cause. Yeah it's better when we're winning but even that isn't the panacea that lot of people believe.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Our reputation as the most passionate and loyal supporters has taken a battering in recent years.
Things change quickly.
Remember preliminary final night in 2010?
I've never experienced a better atmosphere.
That includes Victoria Park in its pomp and that's saying something.
We could sense it was our time. The team came together and in the end got the job done.
Our sense of invincibility has ebbed since then as favourite sons have retired or been moved on. Other teams have passed us. We've lost our mojo.
In response we have people booking seats who don't turn up, people who vanish when they don't like the look of the scoreboard and people who don't even turn up in the first place. Are we taking our club for granted?
Stick with it and the good times will return. Maybe as soon as next year. On field performances are the spark we need to get the 2010 feeling back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: