Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How do bring back the passion ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying Joffa. I've been wondering for a few years now why our Ponsford stand is regularly under-populated and regularly out-noised by the opposition. How is it that the largest club can't fill its own stand except on Anzac Day? How many times has our stand been full this year?

Could the problem be the number of Legends Memberships being sold? I know plenty of people who buy Legends packs and go to 2-3 games a year. These packs are used to gain entry and seating to blockbusters and to qualify for Finals' tickets. This would explain the no shows I think. Collingwood needs to introduce the re-selling concept used successfully by other clubs. If you know you are not attending a particular game, you can have the club re-sell the ticket. There are quite a lot of interstate and overseas Legends Members who would take this opportunity.

Other issues are, in this order:
Scheduling: we have been screwed royally by the AFL this year with the Sunday Twilight Disaster
Variable Ticket Pricing: designed to screw loyal supporters of the big clubs, this has been a disaster of a decision.
Food/beverages: 2 drinks set me back $18 on Saturday night. That is blatant price gouging.
Noise: I know I am not in the generation that they are trying to attract, but the constant noise pollution at games is just awful. Ads, screeching boundary-line spruikers, kiss-cam, LoudOMeter, noisy countdowns. We don't want it. Although some sections of the crowd seem to enjoy watching couples kissing!

I know the AFL employed a new guy last year who wanted to improve the match day experience. He promptly introduced these unwanted American ideas and who knows, he may be the same man who designed the Variable Ticketing.

It isn't just Collingwood supporters angry either; all supporters are feeling used at present. Once upon a time a family could afford its weekend footy outing, but I don't know how families with kids can afford to go more than a few times a year these days.

And finally, it's pretty hard to get enthused the way the team is playing. Yes, we have been spoilt in recent years, but we are playing heartless, unaccountable football. It hurts to see your team playing as if it doesn't care. That's what it looked like to me against Freo in R1 and again recently against the Peptides and against Brisbane. Brisbane! There's no leadership on field, there's no mongrel and there are few prepared to stand up at the moment. This is the reason for the lack of passion from the supporters. If the players come out and play Collingwood-style footy this week and knock-off the Giants, the final game against the Hawks will be well attended. If last week's Collingwood turns up and gets belted by the Giants then the final game will be a tumbleweeds experience.

None of the problems are insurmountable and it's good timing to be asking the questions Joffa. Some of the issues are not of Collingwood's making, but plenty are and the club needs to start listening to its supporters. Eddie understands this and his Supporters' Meeting is just what is needed.

melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:46 pm

I sit in the AFL members and look at the Ponny in and around the Cheers squad. It looks half empty if not 3/4 empty most games. The same game will have the rear 10 rows of the top deck far more densely filled.

The fans that turn up are given the worst possible seats. And the better seats and where we want the supporter to create the atmosphere, are vacant. I can only assume this is because of permanent seat holders not turning up.

IMO other than some select pockets of seats, the extended area around the cheer squad should be "walk up" reserved areas for Collingwood members and guests (or also include general public wearing black and white gear). It should only be ticketed for the blockbusters. Permanent seat holders in the bottom deck should be shifted to other areas.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:20 pm

melliot wrote:
I sit in the AFL members and look at the Ponny in and around the Cheers squad. It looks half empty if not 3/4 empty most games. The same game will have the rear 10 rows of the top deck far more densely filled.

The fans that turn up are given the worst possible seats. And the better seats and where we want the supporter to create the atmosphere, are vacant. I can only assume this is because of permanent seat holders not turning up.

IMO other than some select pockets of seats, the extended area around the cheer squad should be "walk up" reserved areas for Collingwood members and guests (or also include general public wearing black and white gear). It should only be ticketed for the blockbusters. Permanent seat holders in the bottom deck should be shifted to other areas.

Annoys the shit out of me having some ticketing site tell me what is the best available seat. I have my own preferences. Etihad you can actually pick where you'd like to sit within a bay or bays, much better idea and something that should be introduced at the G.
djh 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:54 pm

I rarely post, but have to agree with many others here. We have been social club members who went to every game for over twelve years, this year have only been to three.

This is mainly because we love sitting in the Ponsford on the top deck, but now have to sit so high up we can't see anything except to look down and see all the seats below are empty.

As others have said, if you try to book on line the Ponsford is always unavailable.

We also often went to the 2nd floor dining room, the Lou Richards Lounge, but the price of that has gone through the roof the last couple of years, so not bothering with that either.

We are seriously thinking of cancelling our memberships seeing as we now simply watch on Foxtel. Over $1500 per year for ourselves and our son is an awful lot of money to not go.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Like most things, it can change it what seems like an instant.

I'll give you an example. The difference in 'the buzz' level between 1999 and 2002 was chalk and cheese, for obvious reasons

Once this squad gets a few more years experience, the good times will come again I guarantee.

The real concern for mine is that state of the game overall; crap schedules, stupid rule changes, poor umpiring due to those changes, an autocratic AFL.

These are the things that worry me, and I dare say others as well

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 pm

melliot wrote:

Yep, I've thinking the same thing Melliot. Perhaps the bottom deck of the Ponsford should cater for the cheer squad and only some permanents. The majority should perhaps be held over so that walk-up Collingwood supporters don't end up in the nose bleed seats. Of course, having an on-selling programme so that rarely attending members like interstate & overseas seat holders can sell their seats back to the club, would also help.

BHPIE 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Our home ground looks no different than Melbourne's or Richmonds or the scums etc, like our cheers quad, its sterile and sadly Eddies has had a lot to do with it,and why members cant nominate seats is beyond me.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:01 pm

It would be nice if our home ground looks no different than Melbourne's or Richmonds or the scums like our cheers quad its sterile and Eddies had to do with itand why members can not nominate seats is him or her.
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
melliot wrote:

Yep, I've thinking the same thing Melliot. Perhaps the bottom deck of the Ponsford should cater for the cheer squad and only some permanents. The majority should perhaps be held over so that walk-up Collingwood supporters don't end up in the nose bleed seats. Of course, having an on-selling programme so that rarely attending members like interstate & overseas seat holders can sell their seats back to the club, would also help.

AFL members you can book a seat for games for $7 each. We book seats for the big games only. Lower attendance games is a large portion of walk up areas and you can sit on the boundary, mid way back, top deck or even in the mid tears (when not booked out).

The members Walk Up areas work, and create atmosphere and encourage you to go to games, cos you can get a good seat.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:44 pm

How do bring back the passion?

More intimacy & less sex.

Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
FWIW heres my bleedin two bobs worth. - Put some VFL games on pre game, get rid of all that hoo hah crap. Let fans have a kick to kick post game, drop food prices, bring back the old cheer squad that terrified Vic Park visitors, bring back duffle coats with toggles, stop all these shitty times for games, no more poor fixtures, more sat arvo games, bring back umps dressed in white, over this green crap, make umps more unbiased and a bit more pro Pies, at least on level playing field, drop drink prices, allow eskies back into footy. !!

Make this man CEO of the afl. Couldn't agree more pnc

DT 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Why the loss of passion?

1. No home ground - yep, going to Victoria Park at 2pm on Saturday was a ritual.

2. We play at odd times to suit TV

3. Political correctness in the way the game is officiated and how crowds are supposed to behave - and I do not mean racism ala 1993 but you are right that the cheer squad seems like a shell of its former self

4. Too many gimmicks - ads, music etc blaring loudly incessantly. Fake "roars" after a goal. Passion was hearing the whole of Vic Park yelling bullshit when the opposition kicked a goal from a dubious free kick

5. Media saturation coverage all year - we have lost the mystique about players - they are no more celebrity like and too many off field dramas

6. Professionalism - it is just another business with franchises employers and unions - no more connection to a geographic area

7. Corporatism - Say no more - a killer of grass roots passion with all the brand consciousness that goes with it

8. Game style - yep, much of the modern game is boringly predictable and has lost the variety of players that used to grace our once great game

9. A club on the decline after some glory years

10. No special one - who is your favourite player? It is hard to pick one from the current mob - no Daics is around though

11. Affluence - many are more affluent and with the ideology of consumerism being so all pervasive. Society has changed - some ways for the better but not in others. Footy is just another choice like shopping or video games or whatever. It is no longer a tribal experience like it used to be.

12. Expansion into new 'markets' at the expense of the old heartland

Just my take on it but of all the loss of a home ground is the biggest.

melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:49 pm

BYO grog? Now that would increase the entertainment. Wink
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 am

Big T wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
FWIW heres my bleedin two bobs worth. - Put some VFL games on pre game, get rid of all that hoo hah crap. Let fans have a kick to kick post game, drop food prices, bring back the old cheer squad that terrified Vic Park visitors, bring back duffle coats with toggles, stop all these shitty times for games, no more poor fixtures, more sat arvo games, bring back umps dressed in white, over this green crap, make umps more unbiased and a bit more pro Pies, at least on level playing field, drop drink prices, allow eskies back into footy. !!

Make this man CEO of the afl. Couldn't agree more pnc

Thanks mate. Very Happy I over looked one more too, BRING BACK THE DROP KICK. I used to love drop kicks and stab passes,the drop was a real game skill, sadly, coaches banned it.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:00 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Thanks for trying Joffa. I've been wondering for a few years now why our Ponsford stand is regularly under-populated and regularly out-noised by the opposition. How is it that the largest club can't fill its own stand except on Anzac Day? How many times has our stand been full this year?

Could the problem be the number of Legends Memberships being sold? I know plenty of people who buy Legends packs and go to 2-3 games a year. These packs are used to gain entry and seating to blockbusters and to qualify for Finals' tickets. This would explain the no shows I think. Collingwood needs to introduce the re-selling concept used successfully by other clubs. If you know you are not attending a particular game, you can have the club re-sell the ticket. There are quite a lot of interstate and overseas Legends Members who would take this opportunity.

Other issues are, in this order:
Scheduling: we have been screwed royally by the AFL this year with the Sunday Twilight Disaster
Variable Ticket Pricing: designed to screw loyal supporters of the big clubs, this has been a disaster of a decision.
Food/beverages: 2 drinks set me back $18 on Saturday night. That is blatant price gouging.
Noise: I know I am not in the generation that they are trying to attract, but the constant noise pollution at games is just awful. Ads, screeching boundary-line spruikers, kiss-cam, LoudOMeter, noisy countdowns. We don't want it. Although some sections of the crowd seem to enjoy watching couples kissing!

I know the AFL employed a new guy last year who wanted to improve the match day experience. He promptly introduced these unwanted American ideas and who knows, he may be the same man who designed the Variable Ticketing.

Neil summed up what I feel are the issues totally. So put me as a +1 for Neil's points.

I am one of those overseas legends supporters. If I could resell my ticket, it would be perfect. I have mum and dad pass it around so that I know only Collingwood supporters are sitting there but it is so annoying. The scheduling this year has been awful - even for us overseas.

Get the reserves back before the game, get rid of all that scoreboard rubbish and the noise... gahhh! It is impossible to even talk to the person next to you and I always had a tradition of calling nana at half time... it is impossible with all of the stuff blaring constantly. It is almost like "Get out of my face!"

The cheersquad issue is HUGE and affects the rest of the stand. If they can't cheer anymore because it is too daggy or they can't be bothered, there at least has to be an overflow of flags/floggers and small banners so it LOOKS like we actually have supporters. Also - time to get the banner back to how it was.

Basically, all they have to do is look at footage from 15 years ago and then they can get an idea. It isn't rocket science. Whoever 'they are' - well they have wrecked it for us and they are the only ones that can fix it.

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: