Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How do bring back the passion ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:39 am
Post subject: How do bring back the passion ?Reply with quote

The bottom line is we all love this club, In recent times we probably would all agree something has gone wrong..terribly wrong. some of us saw the writing on the wall some 15 months ago.Empty stands, The passion tank on just about empty, Look lets be honest The Ponsford Stand has become a cold and uninspiring place.

So what do we do ?

How can we turn this negative into a positive ?

Ok we all know variable pricing, Unfriendly schedule of twilight and night games, The convenience of just staying at home watching it on TV could all be a part of this huge problem.

Would you all agree that I have just stated the negatives and in doing so instead of dwelling on the negatives how do we turn it all into a positive ?

How do we make the Ponsford Stand the most feared Grand Stand in football ?

Lets stay away from whats happening on the ground..This is all about whats not happening in the stands.

How is it that the beast has become a mouse ?

Is it us ?

Is it the club ?

Have we become too comfortable ?

Has our club become lost in the world of Corporatism and on that journey we have been left behind..forgotten ?

Have we lost and or in the process of losing our identity ?

It needs to be discussed and it's an urgent issue, Because sometimes when you lose something it may never come back.

Has the club forgotten that the very thing that has made us great has been our passion, our loyality ?

Time for a reality check

What can we do

How do we do it.

How do we turn this horrible neagative into a positive ?

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We are playing like shit, have been waiting for players to return to injury all year, Cloke is being murdered by the umps and we have had a string of Sundae twilight games and almost no free to air lately.
What's to get passionate about except maybe chasing a better spot at next years draft table?

Demitrou is gone so thinks can only get better from here on in.
(Famous last words)^^^ Rolling Eyes
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 am

Get rid of these so called "game day" experiences like loud-o-meter, kiss cam, hip hop dancers, and loud and intrusive music.

Get back to the basics and let the crowd generate it's own atmosphere in the build up to the game and during it.

Can't stand these count down clocks to the opening bounce during finals, or the pipped in fake crowd roar that only serves to drown out the natural roar or the opening siren for ffs.

To be honest though to get the crowds back and excited in a hurry we need to be playing better football and winning games.

Collingwood people are angry right now, angry that what seemed like a dynasty unfolding in 2010 and 11 has been taken from them because of the coaching handover.

You might not agree that Buckley is solely responsible for our slide down the ladder and you might well be right but that is the opinion of the wider Collingwood community, those supporters some one here might label as fair weather supporters.

There is genuine anger out there right now at the club over the position we find ourselves in, made even more galling that we see the two opponents we defeated on our way to consecutive grand finals sitting comfortably within the top 4 once again.

This was meant to be us I can hear them saying.

They have a point.

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 am

For me the main issue is ticketing and in some respects I think we have become a victim of our own success. For the last few years because of family/financial circumstances I have only taken out 3 game memberships, but still usually got to most of our home games whenever opportunity opened up, often with young family in tow. Most weeks we still got tickets in the Ponsford on the ground level which was by far my favourite place to watch from. I'm not sure whether it's our surge in membership and reserved seats or just the ticketing system that is now used but it is now almost impossible to sit there despite the stand being only half full. As a result, for the last 2 years we've been to far fewer games as as a family as the atmosphere is nowhere near as much fun.

I understand that members with reserve seats pay big bucks for the right to attend games and that people can't always go every week, but if we want the Ponsford full again and the 'old' atmosphere back, we need to work with ticketek to figure out a way to open up those reserved seats which are not being used to either 'walk ups' on the day or those looking to book a seat a couple of days out, just for that week.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 am

swoop42 wrote:
Get rid of these so called "game day" experiences like loud-o-meter, kiss cam, hip hop dancers, and loud and intrusive music.

Get back to the basics and let the crowd generate it's own atmosphere in the build up to the game and during it.

Can't stand these count down clocks to the opening bounce during finals, or the pipped in fake crowd roar that only serves to drown out the natural roar or the opening siren for ffs.

To be honest though to get the crowds back and excited in a hurry we need to be playing better football and winning games.

Collingwood people are angry right now, angry that what seemed like a dynasty unfolding in 2010 and 11 has been taken from them because of the coaching handover.

You might not agree that Buckley is solely responsible for our slide down the ladder and you might well be right but that is the opinion of the wider Collingwood community, those supporters some one here might label as fair weather supporters.

There is genuine anger out there right now at the club over the position we find ourselves in, made even more galling that we see the two opponents we defeated on our way to consecutive grand finals sitting comfortably within the top 4 once again.

They have a point.

i am not angry about the football side of things. far from it. i am happy to wait things out. the wheel can turn quite quickly in the afl.

having a winning side helps but i am more angry about the stuff you mentioned re the game day experiences. i go to the footy to watch the footy not be bombarded by the tripe that gets served up outside of the game time.

i have attended a lot of footy that does not involve collingwood and see what other clubs do to make their fans feel a part of it. the etihad based clubs make the ground look like a home ground. e.g. they have giant banners and their races are covered in their colours.

the mcg feels nothing like a home ground. surely we can get permission to put up banners, flags and life size posters at the ponny end to make it feel like it's a home ground or home game. it also doesn't help that the security staff and ground attendants are so unfriendly and unwelcoming.

we need something unique. essendon has the air raid siren, richmond has the drummers. what do we have? mutton dressed up as lamb dancers. ffs, give me a break. i don't want my membership money to be spend on this rubbish.

many years ago i suggested we have an old timer's day and pick a premiership team to honour. i like how richmond honours a past great at their home games.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:45 am
Post subject: Re: How do bring back the passion ?Reply with quote

joffa corfe wrote:
The bottom line is we all love this club, In recent times we probably would all agree something has gone wrong..terribly wrong. some of us saw the writing on the wall some 15 months ago.Empty stands, The passion tank on just about empty, Look lets be honest The Ponsford Stand has become a cold and uninspiring place.

So what do we do ?

Ok we all know variable pricing, Unfriendly schedule of twilight and night games, The convenience of just staying at home watching it on TV could all be a part of this huge problem.

Would you all agree that I have just stated the negatives and in doing so instead of dwelling on the negatives how do we turn it all into a positive ?

Lets stay away from whats happening on the ground..This is all about whats not happening in the stands.

Is it us ?

Is it the club ?

Has our club become lost in the world of Corporatism and on that journey we have been left behind..forgotten ?

It needs to be discussed and it's an urgent issue, Because sometimes when you lose something it may never come back.

Has the club forgotten that the very thing that has made us great has been our passion, our loyality ?

Time for a reality check

What can we do

How do we do it.

FWIW, I put forward my 2 cents worth but I don't have high expectations of this type of post having any positive effect on some supporters.

I honestly think (as I have observed over the past 2-3 years) that it is a generational change among the "new" type of Collingwood supporter Joffa. Our old days of us supporters keeping the loyalty, fanatism, fire and passion going through thick and thin is long gone. The new agers have had it way too good with Collingwood making the finals for the past 8 seasons and having success in 2010. Unlike us, they didn’t have to wait 32 or 20 years respectively for flag success or go through many dark years or even the odd wooden spoon in 1976.
The new passion only lasts while the side is winning. Look at the knives out now just 4 years after winning a flag!! We can’t ever remember seeing this type of destructive whinging and harsh criticism of the club in 1994, 4 years after the 1990 flag, can we? They didn’t need artificial "passion" starters like recorded chants, loud meters, kiss cam, dance troops etc at Victoria Park, did they? The club didn't NEED to have to have a meeting facing angry fans in 1994, just 4 years after a flag win, did they? The perpetual "perceptive fellow" could all fit into a public phone booth, which we actually in use those days!

You are a wise man Joffa and even you must be totally bloody sick of all the current bloody pack of "perceptive fellow" preaching ultra negative crap all day on such forums. You don’t heal the patient by eternally and constantly criticising the care and changing the medications or doctors every 5 days..... Rolling Eyes

I predict that as the "older, experienced" Collingwood supporters move on, the less the passion will be among the new age "perceptive fellow" who do expert sooking much better than loyally and passionately supporting the club…. Rolling Eyes
Black & White Blood 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Eddie has had a lot to do with it.
1. The members have been slowly pushed out, our privileges have been erode over time. I walked away after being a 28 yr social club member. Loyalty isn't valued any more at Collingwood since Eddie arrived, a first year member has as the same rights as a long term member, that's bullshit. The prices continue to go up and the privileges continue to be eroded. Getting a new member to sign up for a membership, no matter the type, seems to be much more important to the club than looking after the established long term members, which they take for granted.

2. Eddie has destroyed the cheer squad with his zeal that our image is the most important thing, so that we get corporate dollars coming in at the expense of our passion and pride. We need to get the cheer squad numbers back up. Let them be passionate, not at heel like a dog. Give the cheer squad members incentives, but they have to be turning up or they forgo the privileges. We must get the ticketing agencies to fill the Ponsford stand with Collingwood supporters before they seat them anywhere else.

Eddie has been very good for this club, it's not a pot shot at him but in the areas above I feel he has let us down.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Black & White Blood wrote:
Getting a new member to sign up for a membership, no matter the type, seems to be much more important to the club than looking after the established long term members, which they take for granted.

that is no different to your power company, foxtel or any other entity that wants your business. if you are not happy do not renew your membership. no matter how emotionally invested or attached you are you do have a choice. it's not like you are bound by a term contract.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:24 pm

John Wren wrote:
Black & White Blood wrote:
Getting a new member to sign up for a membership, no matter the type, seems to be much more important to the club than looking after the established long term members, which they take for granted.

that is no different to your power company, foxtel or any other entity that wants your business. if you are not happy do not renew your membership. you have a choice, it's not like you are bound by a term contract.

I take your hat off to you JW in talking perfect bloody sense to some posters here..... Cool
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:24 pm
Post subject: Re: How do bring back the passion ?Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:

So what do we do ?

Is it us ?

Is it the club ?

Time for a reality check

What can we do

How do we do it.

FWIW, I put forward my 2 cents worth but I don't have high expectations of this type of post having any positive effect on some supporters.

I honestly think (as I have observed over the past 2-3 years) that it is a generational change among the "new" type of Collingwood supporter Joffa. Our old days of us supporters keeping the loyalty, fanatism, fire and passion going through thick and thin is long gone. The new agers have had it way too good with Collingwood making the finals for the past 8 seasons and having success in 2010. Unlike us, they didn’t have to wait 32 or 20 years respectively for flag success or go through many dark years or even the odd wooden spoon in 1976.
The new passion only lasts while the side is winning. Look at the knives out now just 4 years after winning a flag!! We can’t ever remember seeing this type of destructive whinging and harsh criticism of the club in 1994, 4 years after the 1990 flag, can we? They didn’t need artificial "passion" starters like recorded chants, loud meters, kiss cam, dance troops etc at Victoria Park, did they? The club didn't NEED to have to have a meeting facing angry fans in 1994, just 4 years after a flag win, did they? The perpetual "perceptive fellow" could all fit into a public phone booth, which we actually in use those days!

You are a wise man Joffa and even you must be totally bloody sick of all the current bloody pack of "perceptive fellow" preaching ultra negative crap all day on such forums. You don’t heal the patient by eternally and constantly criticising the care and changing the medications or doctors every 5 days..... Rolling Eyes

I predict that as the "older, experienced" Collingwood supporters move on, the less the passion will be among the new age "perceptive fellow" who do expert sooking much better than loyally and passionately supporting the club…. Rolling Eyes

lol. the wiifm crowd.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Start winning and start playing some decent football again.That'll get the passion back in no time at all.The sort of football we're playing right now is domoralising to everyone at the club.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:32 pm

John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

They have a point.

i am not angry about the football side of things. far from it. i am happy to wait things out. the wheel can turn quite quickly in the afl.

having a winning side helps but i am more angry about the stuff you mentioned re the game day experiences. i go to the footy to watch the footy not be bombarded by the tripe that gets served up outside of the game time.

i have attended a lot of footy that does not involve collingwood and see what other clubs do to make their fans feel a part of it. the etihad based clubs make the ground look like a home ground. e.g. they have giant banners and their races are covered in their colours.

the mcg feels nothing like a home ground. surely we can get permission to put up banners, flags and life size posters at the ponny end to make it feel like it's a home ground or home game. it also doesn't help that the security staff and ground attendants are so unfriendly and unwelcoming.

we need something unique. essendon has the air raid siren, richmond has the drummers. what do we have? mutton dressed up as lamb dancers. ffs, give me a break. i don't want my membership money to be spend on this rubbish.

many years ago i suggested we have an old timer's day and pick a premiership team to honour. i like how richmond honours a past great at their home games.

Agree JW. The on the ground output annoys the crap out of me but I see it as part of the process. I'm not as strong on the suggestion that our 2010 success should have equalled a dynasty, Grand Finals are bloody hard to get to and harder still to win and there are a squillion intangibles that impact on that journey. I'm actually enjoying the development of the kids and can see how the team is building so that tempers the current on-field outcomes.

I'm not a fan of the Americanisation of our game with all this "experience" crap but the only thing stopping me attending every week is the round trip from Bendigo. Even then, last season I got to about 12 games and a couple of extra VFL games. This year I've managed 4 and a couple of VFL games, and the Geelong NAB cup game. Scheduling this season has been a killer, extremely country supporter unfriendly.
rit-zio 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:34 pm

just a stab in the dark, but when theres only 30,000 and you have to sit in row ZZ of the ponsford with the pidgeons
i reckon that affects support and passion a fair bit
the afl want tv audiences, end of story

and i agree with black and white blood, long term members should be valued.
always makes me laugh when ppl get attacked here for giving their opinion, especially when alot of the same ppl doing the attacking will be crying when they dont get GF ticket.......you cant have it both ways, if your happy to offer blind support and be treated like just another number, dont complain when it works against you
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:34 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Start winning and start playing some decent football again.That'll get the passion back in no time at all.The sort of football we're playing right now is domoralising to everyone at the club.

So a youngish team in development stage going through some really tough times with horrendous injuries (to their top 15 players on their list btw, NOT the bottom 15) has to play consistent premiership footy to get your support? Are you a fair dinkum footy expert? Can ALL teams play winning footy ALL the time in the AFL?? Bloody epitome of a typical fair weather fan...... Evil or Very Mad Mad
Carro 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 pm

The AFL and club have been killing passion for years.

It is no longer an enjoyable experience to attend an AFL game and more a chore. we are fed crap advertising and crap treatment by the league and our club.

The club is more interested in getting us to buy more rubbish than to look after its existing members.

The game day experience is absolutely atrocious and can easily be fixed.

The A-League experience destroys AFL but the worrying thing is the powers that be in the A-League do their best to get the beautiful game, game-day experience just like AFL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: