Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

fans walked out tonight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jezza, and well done Dave
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 pm

I leave about 5 minutes early. Doesn't matter if we are winning or losing.
If the result is assured I just try to beat the traffic a little. If the result is in doubt I stay. At the VFL, the crowds are small so I stay until after the game regardless of result.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:16 pm

I left about 10 minutes into the second quarter once against Carlton at Princes Park in about 2000.

We were playing the most unaccountable, sloppy football I'd seen and spuds like Beaumont and Hotton were ripping us a new one as was that slob Whitnall. Buckley aside (of course) the rest were really stinking it up. We actually weren't all that far down but I could see the writing on the wall and I was copping some crap from some real smartarse Carlton supporters so I legged it.

Wise move as we ended up copping a 100 point caning but I'm not all that proud of myself either.

Now I think back season 2000 reminds me a little of this year actually. We turned over a lot of players from the year before, played a lot of young kids, started like a freight train then completely ran out of steam. We were building towards some better things and fingers crossed we're doing likewise now.
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
You cant seriously believe people leaving early has any effect on how we, or the opposition, play.

I call myself a supporter. I left 10 minutes in the last quarter.

I disagree. The crowd noise and presence can really give a team a boost. I am sure the Lions players loved hearing their supporters chant when they were well on top and I am sure that it was disconcerting to our players.

For players to look up and see the supporters exiting and the Ponsford stand thinning out would be demoralising.

If professional footballers are looking into the stands to see if people are leaving, we are in real trouble.

I would have thought the disconcerting thing for our players would have been getting thumped rather than the crowd noise from Brisbane.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:48 pm

The siren had gone for 3/4 time, and it was like a tidal wave, hard to miss.

They may be professionals, but if you take pride in your job, that still hurts.

It's a passionate game, played by passionate people, well one would hope

slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:58 pm
Post subject: Re: fans leavingReply with quote

Member 7167 wrote:
slangman wrote:
orie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
think positive wrote:
3/4 time the desertion from around the cheer squad area was like the final siren when we win. Pretty disgusting.

15 players left not limping, players bent double because they were Knackered, players turned away from the interchange bench, because no one right to go on. It broke my heart. And that's why we stayed til the bitter end.

The mighty Pies have been there for me when I needed to rant and scream and cheer, my turn to be there for them.

I've left early before, when the players seemingly didn't give a shit.

But not last night. Bunch of kids out there, and they tried their hearts out til the final siren. Did no one see the much maligned young bent double trying to get breath for his shot on goal? Did no one see Blair dive in the bottom of a pack of lions, even though there was no one to pick up the pieces?

Did no one want to be there to see Luke ball trying desperately to turn something, anything? I'm guessing he will be gone at seasons end. I'll be there to watch him.

Life's a roller coaster, roller coasters are fun, and those gut wrenching, stomach churning, heart breaking troughs make the rush to the top seem all the more exhilarating. But you gotta be there for the whole ride.

Wow! I had no idea you could write like that. I can't imagine anyone saying it better. And that comes from the perspective of someone who leans more in the "we were crap, why wouldn't you walk out?" side of the debate, so I'm not just cheering you on 'coz I agree with you.

But you know what? After reading your post, I don't see it that way anymore. You have changed my mind, TP, with as honest and persuasive a post as I have seen here.

Well said both of you.. I was in the legends stand which was pretty empty and the group around us stayed till the end. We were proud to see that, as the players came off , people had come to the fence and were clapping them...Just trying to be supportive inspite of the incredibly disappointing result. No matter what we think or feel, imagine how the boys felt.

They spent the whole night playing a game of keepings off, just chasing tail and dissolving into disarray.

I always stay to the end but I don't clap and accept mediocre performances

So what exactly are you saying slangman.

In your opinion didn't "OUR" players deserved to be recognised for their efforts by their own "SUPPORTERS" Does our own disappointment at seeing us loose and distress over having seen our star players being injured justify us to simply ignore them.

Just because we lost in difficult circumstances does not mean that the boys didn't do their best. It was obvious that many of our players who were pretty much exhausted by the end of the game we doing their utmost to the final siren.

Armstrong played 8 quarters of football in a day with the last game having little opportunity for interchange.. Doesn't he as a minimal standard deserved to be clapped for giving his all.

The disappointment and distress was obvious on our players faces as they slowly exited the ground. At least we didn't turn into Bitchmond and boo them.

I have applauded when we have both won or lost....when its been warranted.

The people where I sit on Level 2 Ponnie all agreed that we didn't look like winning very early in the game.
The injuries to Cloke and Beams and the subsequent lack of rotations are masking what really happened on Saturday night.
The same experienced players unable to hit a target, missed tackles, poor kicking for goal, poor leadership, no run again and again and again.
Apart from a few cameo's from Broomhead, 8 qtrs. from Armstrong, Beams & Sideys usual output along with Swan, the rest were pedestrian.

Injuries to key players I hear you say?....Give me GCS attitude when they overran us with NO rotations after losing the best player in the AFL plus their key forward and a few others.

Give me GWS' attitude on Sunday when faced with an uphill battle after losing key players to injury.

The injuries against the Lions didn't help, but you would have to be the most one eyed (almost blind) supporter to think we looked like winning from after about 15min in the 1st qtr.

The crux of the problem this year hasn't been injuries but an unwillingness of the senior players as a collective to stand up and drive the team to playing 4 very good qtrs. of football.

God help us if the under 21's didn't step up.

Ill applaud individual efforts of a player when warranted, and Armstrongs efforts I certainly acknowledged during the game, but I aint clapping off the majority of the team that looked lazy and some even uninterested (yes H I'm talking about you).

We have over the last few years really become a team that has found it hard to fight back when a team, especially a good team, gets 4-5 goals in front and have therefore been smashed more times than the team of the late 90's.

ANZAC Day this year is the only major comeback in recent times, especially against good sides.

This is because the senior, more experienced players have been unable/unwilling to lift both themselves and the team.

When I see that attitude change, so will my acknowledgment of their effort regardless whether they have won or lost.

i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm ashamed that the so called Pies fans left. 'The replacements' did all that could be expected.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Jezza wrote:
I was sitting in the Ponsford End and stayed until the end. I hate leaving early and giving the oppositions supporters the satisfaction of seeing us off.

I always wonder why I torture myself by sitting through a crap performance like that but my love and loyalty to the club is too big to stay away. For better or worse, we need to uphold the motto of side by side.

I don't really care if people leave early (they have that choice) but personally I hate it even though I'm a hypocrite for doing it in the 2011 Grand Final.

I used to be part of the "I never leave early" clan, but these day I have come to realise it's just not worth it anymore. I have a young family and the earlier I leave the sooner I'll be home with them. If we are getting absolutely flogged, I see no reason to torture myself any further by sitting there sulking. Much better to make a good thing from the bad and get an early train home.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

I saw a few stumble
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 am

die4pies wrote:
Dark Beanie wrote:
Never left a game before the final siren yet.
I don't care what anyone else says or does says that's just the way I support the team.

That's your problem right there.

Most people these days think 'support' is something you do with your credit card.

And what about the Level 2 Legends waiting list?
If a reserved seat holder on L2 does not scan their membership for at least 80% of home games they should forfeit their seat next season to those of us waiting in the Southern Stand who scan our memberships for 100% of home games. Simple.

They 'support' their team by not turning up or even worse turning their backs and walking away when the going gets a bit rough? Under no definition I know can that be called 'support'. Ipso facto they are not 'SUPPORTERS'.

Hey I'm one of those people - my support and seat are just a credit card transaction to me, of course! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:30 am

for god's sake people are allowed to leave early if they want!

some of us live in the outer suburbs why should we wait half an hour for a packed train on a freezing platform after getting belted. next time you have an issue with people leaving early, why don't you internet heroes tell them directly lol.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:14 pm

think positive wrote:
It's a passionate game, played by passionate people, well one would hope

True enough but I find that the definition of what "true passion" among fans is, is a vastly different concept depending on the type of Collingwood supporter. Idea
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:20 pm

If it is hard to sit through an extra 30 minutes, why bother coming to the game at all?

When we played regular home games at Victoria Park you had a 70% chance of seeing a win. Now that is closer to 50% since the move away, which really started in 1993. So it is just as likely that the team will lose on a given day so if people turn up to only see the team win it doesn't make sense why they turn up at all.

Most of what I have read here just sounds really soft to me.

Or for something a bit deeper; “If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same"

www.facebook.com/groups/knightsofabbotsford

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 am

Ditto Shane.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:13 am

die4pies wrote:
If it is hard to sit through an extra 30 minutes, why bother coming to the game at all?

When we played regular home games at Victoria Park you had a 70% chance of seeing a win. Now that is closer to 50% since the move away, which really started in 1993. So it is just as likely that the team will lose on a given day so if people turn up to only see the team win it doesn't make sense why they turn up at all.

Most of what I have read here just sounds really soft to me.

Or for something a bit deeper; “If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same"

That's what I don't get, if your not going to watch the end, why not watch it on telly? Especially when it's a close match, I find it really bewildering that people walk out a 5 point game with minutes on the clock! Not to mention really $£$%^%%$ annoying when they block your view!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: