Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Distracted mobile phone users

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:44 am
Post subject: Distracted mobile phone usersReply with quote

I don't know about any of you but I'm getting sick to bloody death with people using their phones in public and nearly causing accidents as a result of it whether they be driving, cycling or walking.

It's astounding just how many people talk/text and drive and not pay attention to the road, or or they're walking down the street (eyes on their phone) texting away without a care in the world - not paying any attention to people walking by or oncoming traffic. I've seen cyclists do it too.

I find it bewildering that people are willing to risk their lives and the lives of others through this behaviour, as well as the consequence of fines and demerit points, but that doesn't seem to deter people. On the way home tonight, I passed a girl walking her two blood hounds, one of which was medium sized and quite vocal. This dog then proceeded to start barking at me and actually got a little too close for my liking. Nothing happened to me fortunately by the girl was distracted by her phone, texting away like she was in another planet. A bigger dog and things might have been different.

I nearly ran a guy over whilst cycling because he was distracted by his phone. I sounded my bell numerous times but he still decided to walk out into oncoming traffic. I told him to open his f***ing eyes.

What does that say about us as a society? I find that we're too consumed by technology - particularly mobile technology and social media. The phone is basically an extension of the self, like another limb almost, and we've become so engrossed in everything it is and everything it does. It almost dictates our lives to the point where we can't possibly live without it. It controls us. There's an app for basically everything now which encourages more consumption. Watch and observe people around you and their phone behaviour.

I guess my point is that all this technology is detaching us from reality so much so that we lose touch with what's really happening right in front of us, right there and then.
Tully 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more worried that I didn't have the foresight to book my holiday in September!
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:18 am

I wish they would triple the fine for texting while driving..... Handsfree talking while driving doesn't bother me, but those drivers who continually take their eyes off the road to type out a text, scare the heck out of me.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:16 am

Really interesting thread, Warren. It definitely does seem like we're becoming increasingly dependent on/addicted to technology; to be specific, the immediacy of it. The idea of writing a letter (unless done as something romantic/nostalgic) and waiting days for a response is well and truly gone; now, we expect near instantaneous communication. The same goes for wanting to learn something: no more need to go to the library to research a topic or wait until you get home and turn the radio on to check the football scores; it's all there on your phone as soon as you want it.

I don't necessarily take a negative view on all this, though there definitely are dangers (some of which you mention in the opening post). It's just a period of rapid change, and it is radically affecting how we behave and how we think.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Tully wrote:
I am more worried that I didn't have the foresight to book my holiday in September!

I did. Cool

Everything the OP mentions annoys me too. Especially the driving/texting thing. It's just so dangerous. My daughter is about to get her license and I've made it a rule she needs to always put her phone in the boot when she's driving. The temptation is just too great at the best of times.

#SIDEBYSIDE
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:08 pm

I texted while driving occasionally when I was 18 and still living in Canberra. I'm sure I knew it was stupid and dangerous then as much I do now; I guess maybe there's just a cognitive dissonance at play there.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:16 pm

The driving one is interesting.

When I was 18, you had to change the radio station by turning the dial on the car stereo. So that's one hand off the wheel and also looking at the dial to see where you were.

To change the cassette tape, take your eyes off the road to where the container of tapes was, pick the one you want, take it out of the case, swap tapes over etc.

Nowdays, I find myself reading and replying to work emails on the work mobile while sitting at red lights. Apparently this is illegal too.

nanny state laws for people unable to take responsibility.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 pm

^ Yeah, I get that the red light thing seems counterintuitive. In theory, that shouldn't be considered dangerous. Couldn't the law just be no mobile phone usage while the car is moving? I guess it's a bit like .05; taking the blanket ban approach to minimise ambiguity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:07 pm

I use velcro on the window pillar and back of the phone to stick it up and apparently that is illegal!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The driving one is interesting.

When I was 18, you had to change the radio station by turning the dial on the car stereo. So that's one hand off the wheel and also looking at the dial to see where you were.

To change the cassette tape, take your eyes off the road to where the container of tapes was, pick the one you want, take it out of the case, swap tapes over etc.

Nowdays, I find myself reading and replying to work emails on the work mobile while sitting at red lights. Apparently this is illegal too.

nanny state laws for people unable to take responsibility.

Your life's that busy that that is necessary?

What happens if the lights change and you've just got one more word to type?or an email pisses you off?

I use my phone with Bluetooth, but not often. And I now make sure I pick the number before I take off. Was scrolling through the phone book on my dash display one day (phone works through the radio on my car) and nearly side swiped someone.

Put the phones away. Just drive.

That's not a nanny state, it's saving lives. Texting especially is just stupid while driving, it's asking for trouble. Same as drink driving.

And drinking too hot coffee!

And the opening comment? Guilty sir, nearly got hit in a carpark, my fault, was glued to my phone! Stupid stupid! Specially when I'm deaf.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:06 pm

I've read books while walking since I was a kid, still do it on my tablet and not once have I caused or become a victim of an accident. I think the problem comes with people who are both unable to focus on something as well as remaining aware of their surroundings coupled with the added 'interactive' nature of phones. Not only are they looking at their device, they're giving it the added attention of performing a task.

Saying all that, I've never once read a book while driving, people who are on their phones/texting/reading facebook while driving a car should immediately lose their license.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:18 pm

I know what driving is. What is texting?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Tannin wrote:
I know what driving is. What is texting?
u still got a Nokia, yeah?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Something similar, TP. In my job, I have computers coming out my ears, I don't need another one in my pocket. On my phone, you can text me and I can read it no worries, but sending texts is difficult, which is fine by me. I just email or phone and speak to you. And a battery charge lasts nearly a week, which is the most important thing of all.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:18 pm

My hubby doesn't text either! But he has found the on button for the PC, finally!

But my iPad, iPhone and laptop are safe!!

Cheers.

Your captain of vice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: