Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Global cooling - the real danger

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 pm
Post subject: Global cooling - the real dangerReply with quote

Interesting articles.

Guess the science is not as settled as some believe.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/were-illprepared-if-the-iceman-cometh/story-e6frg6zo-1227023489894

http://www.co2science.org/articles/V17/N32/C1.php
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on being dead well before the end of this century so whichever way it spins won't bother me.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:46 pm

Clueless denialism is the real threat here.

Only The Australian would be so desperate as to publish such obvious nonsense. Not only is the author completely unqualified to write about climate, he comes from an extreme right-wing society of elderly nut-cases, practically none of them with any relevant training or expertise, with very, very strong links to the far right, big business, and the IPA, and he has prior form.

I'll come back and provide more detail, complete with links so you can verify all this for yourselves, a bit later on tonight when I get time.

Edit ----------------------------

The author, David Archibald is not a climate scientist and has no training or qualifications in the field. He is a former businessman and geologist with a background in the fossil fuel industry. He now owns the rights to substantial fossil fuel exploration permits in Western Australia which will decline in value as the world switches to renewables. He is strongly linked with the Australian denialist organisation founded by Hugh Morgan (Western Mining) and others associated with big business and the mining industry. He also has strong links with the well-funded notorious American denialist organisation the Heartland Institute, which works actively to promote the denial of both climate change and the link between smoking and lung cancer.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/04/14/meet-david-archibald-the-fringe-scientist-predi/198886

He was the author of something once called "the worst climate science paper ever of all time anywhere" - see: http://n3xus6.blogspot.com.au/2007/02/dd.html (I suspect that there are even worse ones somewhere, but I won't debate the point.)

For a more detailed and technical deconstruction of his work, see: http://www.skepticalscience.com/david-archibald-exaggerates-solar-influence-on-future-climate-change.html See also: http://denierlist.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/david-archibald/

I already mentioned the Lavoisier Group which supports him, which was established specifically to deny climate change, and which is funded by the coal and oil industry.

"The group is closely associated with the Australian mining industry, and was founded in 2000 by Ray Evans, then an executive at Western Mining Corporation (WMC), who was also involved in founding the HR Nicholls Society and the Bennelong Society. Hugh Morgan, former WMC boss and head of the Business Council of Australia until 2005, delivered the group's inaugural speech ..... Most of the members are over 60 years old. Economist John Quiggin has written that the Lavoisier Group is "devoted to the proposition that basic principles of physics...cease to apply when they come into conflict with the interests of the Australian coal industry." For more detail and further links see: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Lavoisier_Group

Last edited by Tannin on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:55 pm

When I read thebaldfacts' posts, I long for Bruno's carefully constructed, balanced arguments.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:04 pm

^ ! Shocked Very Happy
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Bloody Tony Abbott, stealing thebaldfacts password again. Rolling Eyes
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Not surprisingly the Global warmists when their beliefs are challenged, resort to their normal abuse.

I suspect that the scientist who published in the journal are more qualified than you Tannin. Unfortunately it looks like you failed to get past the Australian article. Unless it is in Fairfax or the ABC then you resort to abuse.

Pies4shaw, I provided links to articles expressing a point of view. Not sure what you are looking for with a carefully constructed balanced argument.
It is a link to articles. Read them and make up your own mind.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:19 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Bloody Tony Abbott, stealing thebaldfacts password again. Rolling Eyes

What makes you so sure that I am not Tony Abbott Very Happy
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:27 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Not surprisingly the Global warmists when their beliefs are challenged, resort to their normal abuse.

I suspect that the scientist who published in the journal are more qualified than you Tannin. Unfortunately it looks like you failed to get past the Australian article. Unless it is in Fairfax or the ABC then you resort to abuse.

Pies4shaw, I provided links to articles expressing a point of view. Not sure what you are looking for with a carefully constructed balanced argument.

Well, the outcome I was hoping for was that you'd stop posting links to absurdist right-wing rubbish. Its just a kind of trolling. If I wanted to read propaganda, I'd go the LNP website. Strangely, I've never had the urge.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:41 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
What makes you so sure that I am not Tony Abbott Very Happy

Abbott is creepy, clueless and inarticulate. You are different, you are articulate, and probably not creepy.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

Well, the outcome I was hoping for was that you'd stop posting links to absurdist right-wing rubbish. Its just a kind of trolling. If I wanted to read propaganda, I'd go the LNP website. Strangely, I've never had the urge.

Well Pies4shaw, in order not to offend your sensitivities maybe I should seek your approval before I post any links Very Happy

Then I thought there may actually be some people on VPT who actually are open minded enough to read differing points of view.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:47 pm

I love differing points of view, TBF. But so far you haven't linked to anything worth reading. It's just the same old long-since discredited pseudo-science churned out by the same old discredited and self-interested non-experts, some of them former tobacco denialists who have switched over to climate denial 'coz that's where the money is these days, some of them apparently just loopy weirdos with nasty friends.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Actually Tannin, the work referenced is from these:

Usoskin, I.G., Hulot, G., Gallet, Y., Roth, R., Licht, A., Joos, F., Kovaltsov, G.A., Thebault, E. and Khokhlov, A. 2014. Evidence for distinct modes of solar activity. Astronomy and Astrophysics 562: L10, doi: 10.1051/0004-6361/201423391.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

Well Pies4shaw, in order not to offend your sensitivities maybe I should seek your approval before I post any links Very Happy

Then I thought there may actually be some people on VPT who actually are open minded enough to read differing points of view.

You're not offending my sensitivities, mate - it's just that you keep sending the drivelometer into the red.

It's not about being "open" - much of the tripe you link in your posts doesn't qualify as a "point of view" - it's just barracking.

Just so you're quite clear, it's the quality of the content I object to, not the underlying politics. It's the complete absence of room for rational, intelligent debate that makes me ill.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:46 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Actually Tannin, the work referenced is from these:

Usoskin, I.G., Hulot, G., Gallet, Y., Roth, R., Licht, A., Joos, F., Kovaltsov, G.A., Thebault, E. and Khokhlov, A ............

^ What a laughably transparent attempt to mislead that was. Your unqualified anti-scientist mentioned an (apparently) genuine scientific paper from a largely unrelated field in his references and now you reckon on the strength of that his loopy, self-serving non-science propaganda screed must be legit? We weren't born yesterday, chum. Why not write Alice in Wonderland, What Happened Next and cite Einstein in a footnote? It would be just as believable, and probably more realistic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: