Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 19 - Geelong vs Collingwood at Kardinia Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that our AFL season is all but over we need to load up the VFL team with as many eligible senior list players as possible come the first final.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:45 pm

So with our VFL side not able to slip any lower than 6th on the ladder this would mean our elimination final will be played at Vic Park would it not?
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Stats (courtesy of FootyLive):

Disposals:
Martin - 33 (21k, 12h, 1g)
Armstrong - 24 (15k, 9h)
Seedsman - 24 (11k, 13h)
Langdon - 21 (15k, 6h)
Moloney - 19 (9k, 10h, 1g)
Karnezis - 19 (18k, 1h, 2g)
White - 18 (14k, 4h, 4g)
Ferguson - 17 (6k, 11h, 2g)
Lynch - 16 (10k, 6h, 1g)
Scharenberg - 16 (7k, 9h)
Gault - 15 (6k, 9h)

Marks:
Langdon - 8
White - 7
Karnezis - 5
Ramsay - 5
Martin - 4
Seedsman - 4
Mooney - 4
Allan - 4
Riddle - 4
Ferguson - 3
Gault - 3
Scharenberg - 3
Lynch - 3

Tackles:
Moloney - 12
Martin - 6
Ramsay - 6
Matheson - 6
Karnezis - 4
Langdon - 4
Lynch - 4
Ellis - 4
Scharenberg - 3

Hitouts:
White - 20
Gault - 12
Lynch - 10

Kosh 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:48 pm
Post subject: Earth JesseReply with quote

MagpieBat wrote:
Kosh wrote:
It's like Jesse White is two people. The Jesse White from earth, who can leap tall buildings with single bound and can run faster than a speeding bullet.Then there is the Jesse White from the Bizarro universe who plays like a doped up zombie with only a vague interest in being awake, much less interest in getting a touch of the football.

It's only after going back and reading this on the ride home does the 'Earth Jesse' thing make sense. I kept seeing you saying it during the call and though "WTF is Kosh on about, is he channelling something out of Captain Planet?!" Shocked

Can I just say, as a DC Comics fan, I appreciate the reference, all the same... Wink

Thanks MB Smile
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:11 pm

swoop42 wrote:
So with our VFL side not able to slip any lower than 6th on the ladder this would mean our elimination final will be played at Vic Park would it not?

no. most likely to be port melbourne again.

i don't think the vfl would want to spend money for temporary fencing.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:44 pm

John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

So we'll never get a home final, do the gate takings from finals go to the league or the club?
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:43 pm

jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

So we'll never get a home final, do the gate takings from finals go to the league or the club?

don't know. i suspect it will be like the afl model whereby the vfl would get the takings. all ticketing is done by the vfl.

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:37 pm

The VFL tried to book a final for Victoria Park last season but were at the 11th hour by the resident's group. They are mobilising again and will be looking to get football banned from Victoria Park for their dogs. The fight goes on.

Photos from Kardinia Park: VICTORIA PARK ON FACEBOOK

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 pm

die4pies wrote:
The VFL tried to book a final for Victoria Park last season but were at the 11th hour by the resident's group. They are mobilising again and will be looking to get football banned from Victoria Park for their dogs. The fight goes on.

Geez, aren't those people satisfied that they got the place terra-formed? Now they want to kick us out completely, just so they can have somewhere to walk their dogs? (whom they don't pick up after, it must be said; several times I've nearly stepped in dog crap on the terraces and along Lulie Street)...

NIMBYism - gotta love it. Rolling Eyes

PS: Terrific work with the photos, as always...
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:34 pm

A bit late, but my player reviews...

18. Jesse White
Was pretty ordinary for the first 3 quarters playing on ball as the primary ruck, bar one nice contested mark on the wing in the first, but MAN did he come to the party in the final stanza! Marked everything that came is way (some strong contested marking that Clokey himself would be proud of) and kicked the 4 goals.

It was only one quarter of good footy, but it’s almost enough for mine to bring him back in under ordinary circumstances. But, we are not in ordinary circumstances, so we’ll need to bring him in anyway to replace Cloke. He is a forward, not a forward/ruckman.

21. Quinten Lynch
Worked hard, as usual, and was decent without being outstanding. Was another one who stood up in the final quarter, taking the ruck contests at the stoppages and really going bash-and-crash on Banjanin. Kicked the one goal, courtesy of some great teamwork. Executed some smart disposals to setup thrusts forward. Given our devastating injury toll, I’d lean towards bringing him in, if only to make up for the sheer amount of experience we’ve now lost.

24. Josh Thomas
Wasn’t the most inspiring game from Josh. We were getting nutted for the first 3 quarters despite the presence of 3 dedicated inside mids (JT, Martin and Moloney), so as the senior player of the group, this is rather disappointing to see. He did however lift in the last. I’m inclined towards leaving him at VFL level, even with our injury toll, but we might not get a choice on that front.

27. Tony Armstrong
Another who really lifted in the last after a solid but uninspiring first 3 quarters. Really started to deliver on what someone with his basic gifts could be capable of. Did well enough to drop back and cover a loose Geelong forward a couple of times, essentially compensating for some sloppy work from Ramsay (it was Ramsay’s man who was left unattended). His heroics in the senior game, however, is what tips me in favour of keeping him at AFL level for the remainder of the year.

31. Jackson Ramsay
Had an okay game for the most part. Played on Nick Hollmer and, for the most part, held him, barring a couple of instances where Armstrong had to drop back and try cover him. Used the ball much better, which is much closer to the level that those of us who watch him regularly know he is capable of. Loved his aggression when bullied by the opposition at times. Is worthy of consideration next week, injury toll or not.

33. Patrick Karnezis
Played mostly on-ball again. Absolutely tore the first quarter apart, so much so that they sent the tagger to him instead. Went MIA for the next couple of terms but returned to influence things in the final quarter. Kicked an absolute ripper of a running snap to put us in front, finishing the day with 2 goals. He’ll be playing this week.

35. Matthew Scharenberg
Best game for us yet. Some of his delivery and rebound from half back was just exquisite to watch. Started on Mitch Brown in the first quarter but was moved off him after the first break. Took a great contested mark in the final quarter that set up one of White’s goals. He’s a long way off the grade yet though, so best scotch any thoughts of an early debut and just let him run the year out at this level and experience some finals footy.

37. Kyle Martin
Was reasonable throughout the first 3 terms, but like a lot of blokes, well and truly stood up in the last. Had a heavily strapped right knee and it showed in his kicking, which was well off its normal standard. Kicked a goal right at the start of the game (which I missed arriving late, argh!). Should get the call-up to replace Beams.

38. Peter Yagmoor
Spent the majority of the day on Josh Walker, his matchup from the previous encounter, and Walker got the points this time, kicking 3. The loss of Marsh didn’t help, but again, I do have to wonder why we didn’t perhaps opt for the versatile Allan, who has runs on the board when playing key defence. Will have an easier job next week, with Bendigo not having any threatening talls.

40. Paul Seedsman
Wasn’t a memorable game from him, but was crucial at stages in the last. Personally, he was responsible for setting up two of White’s goals. Probably won’t be getting back into the seniors on that effort, even accounting for the injuries, though. Just needs to finish the year out well and have a big pre-season, because I can definitely see him as a permanent member of our best 22 next year…

41. Tom Langdon
In a word, terrific. Clearly too good for this level. How he didn’t even rate a mention in the bests is a joke. Along with Scharenberg, he was our most damaging player from half back. Lost the one contest one-on-one late in the last, but I’m not concerned, we all know he’s not a proper key defender and he was, to my eye, just covering a loose forward. Straight back into the seniors.

44. Corey Gault
Best game I’ve seen him play for us yet. Didn’t hit the scoreboard the way we would have liked, but he presented well enough. It was his ruckwork, however, where he really shined. Was our most influential ruck for the day, in my opinion. Won some crucial taps and clearances, including the centre bounce that started the chain of play that put us in front.

Is he ready for senior football? I’ll risk the ire of some and say I’m leaning towards not. While I’m more than happy for him to get another year on the rookie list, I’d just let him run out the year at VFL level and get ready for a big pre-season. That said, if our injuries have cut deeply enough to require him to play seniors, then so be it.

48. Caolan Mooney
Wasn’t highly influential, but did okay. As Kosh alluded to in the call, his kicking wasn’t exactly a thing to be inspired by on Saturday. Did get dangerous around goal and kicked the sealer deep in time-on. The injury epidemic may see him get promoted to see if he still has something to offer. Only time he hasn’t started as sub was actually against GWS a couple of years back, so history may repeat itself there…

From the VFL list…

- Jake Williams could find himself on an AFL rookie list. Played well and has been one of our most consistent at this level. Not sure he would get drafted by us, though (do we really want another midget?)

- I thought Gray’s naming as our best afield was definitely too high, but he played well enough to be thereabouts when naming the group of bests.

- Lachlan Ferguson, as usual, had a good game and as usual was our most
dangerous small forward of centre. Has had a really good year. Another who could find himself on a rookie list…

That was our first win at Kardinia Park in four years. That, and we knocked Geelong out of the running for the finals. All in all, a good days’ work. Smile
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Cheers for the write up mate.

I've with you on Corey, I really hope he's done enough to get another year in 2015, but I'd prefer him to really put some consistent good from together at VFL level before getting a gig at AFL. When he does get a gig in the AFL team I'd like it to be an extended run for a few weeks. However, if need is there then he plays.

I'd think for this week we'd bring in White for Cloke, Langdon for Toovey, Karnesis for Reid (and play him forward).

Pendlebury back for Beams.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:07 pm

interesting write up matty. i didn't think langdon's game was a stand out but we watch from different angles during the game. gray had another run with role and he did well (yet again) and is becoming an important component in the team. he ran himself ragged. probably why he got named in the bests.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:43 pm

MagpieBat The best are a Joke and Done by a Kid who just looks at the Stats
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am

Dave The Man wrote:
MagpieBat The best are a Joke and Done by a Kid who just looks at the Stats

incorrect.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:52 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
die4pies wrote:

Geez, aren't those people satisfied that they got the place terra-formed? Now they want to kick us out completely, just so they can have somewhere to walk their dogs? (whom they don't pick up after, it must be said; several times I've nearly stepped in dog crap on the terraces and along Lulie Street)...

NIMBYism - gotta love it. Rolling Eyes

PS: Terrific work with the photos, as always...

apparently they pay their rates so their dogs are entitled to crap on the oval.

here's hoping we can get a home final there. how good would it be?! saturday or sunday afternoon. see the people flock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11   

Jump to: