Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Banner

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

damm right i think we better because remember at this exact time last year our massive cheersquad fight on here where it all started because we looked stoopid having no official cheersquad or banner there!

#11~GO OBIE~#11

eMmA 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 12:42 pm

I dont think they are having banners at the ansett cup series.

LATERZ

SAV&ANTHONY R SEXY-->36/23 UNTIL FOREVER-->ROCCA BOYZ ROCK MY WORLD!!!

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 8:28 pm

Well, kiddies. The thing about banners is that they don't make themselves. They have to be made by PEOPLE.

And they take a long time to make ... and there's a RIGHT way to go about making them ... and lots of WRONG ways.

So, essentially it requires a couple of things.

1. A group of people with the WILLINGNESS to give up their time (usually a full day every week ... sometimes longer in the case of banners for special occasions).

2. People with the KNOWLEDGE of how to go about making a banner.

There's a lot involved. First you've got to come up with the ideas. Then you need plenty of dexterity with crepe paper and sticky tape to make the ideas a reality. You've got to make sure you've got a good artist of two among you who can draw the more intricate designs that you dream up. And when the banner itself is done, you need to know how to pole it so that it doesn't all fall to bits at the slightest gust of wind. Then you've got to have a team of willing volunteers to go out on to the ground on match-day. And these people have to know how to hold it up so that it goesn't go arse-over-tit.

All this takes experience. The old Official Cheer Squad may have been lousy at chanting ... but they knew how to make banners. Kath Johnstone was a great organiser, and she had a team of very experienced banner-makers helping her out.

So now it's time for some new people to put their hands up. I just hope that a few of the old committee are still around to help pass on the knowledge to the new people. Because that's really how it works. The older people pass on their experience to the new people.

... and all this to create a banner that will take a few seconds for the players to demolish!!!

**floreat pica**

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2001 4:33 am

ha, then u get to pick up whats left and cart it off the ground!

anyway so what if norf do have a banner and we dont? its not like its some great advantage, we will still kick their arses regardless of any banners.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2001 5:40 am

Well being an ex 'our lady of victories'student can some one tell me what ARSE OVER TIT MEANS?

There is nothing in life greater, than to be a supporter of our beloved collingwood football club,we must remain united,we must stand tall,we must be prepared to fight for our glorious black and white for we are the ENVY OF ALL NATIONS.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2001 1:10 pm

haha well if u were at the last game at vic park u might have seen that fat chick from the cheersquad go ARSE OVER TIT into the mud ahh ha! what a pisser that one was!

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2001 3:07 pm

Hi CQ.
What fat chick are u talking about I can't remember that one and I was out on the ground the last game at Vic Park.......
Thanks for explaining to the natives about the banner...... and u are so right Alfie Kath sure did know how to make Banners.....
well the few of us that are left hopefully will be able to train new people in the art of banner making but they have to take notice and not get upset if they are told the right way to do it.
Will u be coming to banner this year?

BE LOUD...BE PROUD

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2001 6:53 pm

cobood,

I've only ever been to banner-making a couple of times ... and I did it mainly for research purposes. But I did help to make the banner for an away match against Adelaide in 1999. And I went to Adelaide with the Cheer Squad and helped to hold it up on the night. It was a proud moment to walk out on to the ground as a representative of The Club, especially in front of such a hostile crowd.

Unfortunately it all turned out to be a bit embarrassing when the players ran out BEFORE the banner was in position. But that wasn't our fault. We were given incorrect information by the Footy Park officials. The players did a warm-up lap or two and then ran through the banner. The Adelaide crowd had a good laugh at our expense.

Despite these occasional stuff-ups, it's a real buzz to be out there as the players run through the banner. I recommend it, especially to younger supporters. You'll feel ten feet tall and bullet-proof, I promise you.

Having said all that, I probably won't have enough time to get involved myself ... or at least not on a regular basis. But it would be nice to pop in occasionally and help out.

Where are you making the banner this year? Will it be in that church hall on the corner of Wellington and Otter Streets again?

**floreat pica**

Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 3:37 am

You can't be serious about that, Joffa...are you?

Broadie
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:51 am

i dunno cobood but it was a farkin bit of amusement for me and whoever was around me at the yarra falls end.

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 5:24 pm

Hi Alfie
Yep I remember that time in Adelaide.... what a mess...

No the banner this year will be made in a hall in Coppin St Richmond.... Have been there before and it is a bit small but at least we have somewhere for the moment..... the Club is still looking for somewhere else hopefully they will find something but I think they left it a bit late...........
Will be pleased to see u there sometime Alfie.....

BE LOUD.....BE PROUD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: