Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Home brewing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
I did for a while, back when I was a student. I had a several drinkable batches (drinkable for a student, that is, doubt that I'd be too keen on them now) a couple of truly dreadful ones even I couldn't drink, and a couple of excellent brews you wouldn't mind paying ful price for over a bar.

Then, quite by chance, I got a holiday job at the local brewery. That was the end of the home brewing. In those days you got all the beer you could drink after work in the company bar (there were theoretical limits and health and safety rules, but within reason you could drink as much as you liked every day for an hour or two) and heavily discounted slabs every pay day. (You filled out an order form and it came out of your pay. The price was just enough to cover the tax plus a bit more, so something less than half the lowest price you'd ever see in a shop.) There was a limit on those freebies too, but it was pretty generous and by the time I had to go back to uni a few months later I had slabs pilled up to the kitchen ceiling. It took months to drink them all.

Curiously enough, there in the Ballarat Brewery we made the Carlton Draft (and also Guinness) but our own local drop, Ballarat Bitter, was made in Abbotsford!

Those were the days hey.. Smile
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:59 am

Yep. That was a time I will never remember. Shocked
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:11 am

Probably worth mentioning the other side of the coin too - it was phenomenally hard work, and quite dangerous. A modern-day OHS guy would go ape!

Physically demanding too: among other things, you had to lift 18-gallon barrels from a rack over your head to transfer them to a conveyor belt. In theory, these were empties, which were still quite heavy, but every now and then some bastard publican would send a used barrel back full of bloody water and my oath you knew about it when you got one! Not far off 100 kilograms when you were expecting it to weigh about 10, and you don't find out 'till you're already holding it stiff-armed above your head. You had to do a sort of controlled collapse with twist to flip it onto the conveyor and by crikey that was hard.

Sorry, home brewers, I've hijacked your thread. I'll shutup now.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:28 am

We tried home brewed cider last time we were in Tasmania. Actually wasn't too bad. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: