Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Melbourne - the city of fines

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:59 pm
Post subject: Melbourne - the city of finesReply with quote

Is it just me or is this state obsessed with fining people for all sorts of misdemeanors. Parking fines, speeding fines, red light camera fines, didn't declare you're $10.20 bank interest... well that's another fine. Then we get shafted for saving for our future (super, HISA: term deposits etc etc.)

$75 on the spot fines for invalid travel on public transport or $217. They have the gall to slug the public with that yet they can't run an efficient and effective public transport service that runs on time. A little bit of heat and trains are stuffed. A bit of rain and the trains are stuffed again.

Our ever changing speed zones are designed to catch people out. I've driven through areas where the speed changes at least four times. No doubt it's designed to confuse people and catch them out.

Now I heard talk about reducing the blood alcohol limit from .05 to .02. Why? Bugger that. You either keep it as it is or make it zero. Making it .02 will throw everyone over the limit and is designed to raise further revenue for the state.

Are other states the same?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great point. There is an old joke that runs something like "Heaven in Europe is when the French are the chefs, the Italians are the lovers, the Germans are the engineers, the British are the police, and the Swiss make everything run on time. Hell is when the British are the chefs, the Swiss are the lovers, the French are the mechanics, the Italians make everything run on time .... and the Germans are the police.

Every time I come home to Australia from the Uk, I am amazed at the "Germanic" intrusiveness and literalness of policing. In Britain, the police start with the intent of the law, not its letter, and assess whether the conduct seriously offends the intent. The rights of the responsible citizen thus stand above the literalness of the law. In Australia, the law seems to be a trap to snare and fine the unwary honest citizen. I am also struck by how readily Australians (or at least Victorians) grumble, and accept this on the basis that they cannot affect it.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Well we aren't called a 'nanny state' for nothing Razz
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Some things don't make sense - no ticket $217 fine / belt the crap out of someone, get legal aid to represent you and walk away with a slap on the wrist.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:34 am

I don't get too upset by this stuff generally—most fines exist as necessary deterrents—but I don't like the crackdowns on jaywalking. It's really one of those laws that should only be enforced when a pedestrian is putting lives in danger by crossing erratically, not because they started walking a few seconds after the red man started flashing.

Also, memo to public transport safety officers (if any are posting here!)—you're there to provide basic protection for commuters, not to enforce bureaucratic rules. It was pretty funny in hindsight, but I can't believe I got an official warning (and a threat of a triple figure fine) for running up the down escalator on an empty platform.

A bit of common sense and moderation wouldn't go astray.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 am

^ sounds a bit as though you don't get too upset about this stuff generally - except for the ones that you personally might transgress ... Wink
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:22 am

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:09 pm

I just got a speeding fine in the mail, 97 in a 90 Shocked $75 and 0 points.
7k's/hr over the limit on a dual lane hwy (the old 'stang is in mph & I had just had new, bigger wheels fitted) cruising with the traffic flow.

.02? Like you say, they may as well just make it Zero. I remember when I first got my license, the BAC limit was a flat .08, even for P platers. The second day I had my license I got pulled over & blew in the road side breatho which came up as over the limit. They took me to the cop shop and I gave another sample into the big machine .... .079, on your way son Shocked

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Skids wrote:
I just got a speeding fine in the mail, 97 in a 90 Shocked $75 and 0 points.
7k's/hr over the limit on a dual lane hwy (the old 'stang is in mph & I had just had new, bigger wheels fitted) cruising with the traffic flow.

.02? Like you say, they may as well just make it Zero. I remember when I first got my license, the BAC limit was a flat .08, even for P platers. The second day I had my license I got pulled over & blew in the road side breatho which came up as over the limit. They took me to the cop shop and I gave another sample into the big machine .... .079, on your way son Shocked

You got off light. 7kms over the limit here gets you $165 fine these days Shocked
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:07 pm

The creep of tyranny. Must keep the citizens in line, no marching out of step. What starts out as seemingly worthwhile seems to inevitably creep up as governments and councils become addicted to the revenue stream that fines create. As people stop speeding so much, they increase the fines. As people stop fare evading (or getting better at it), so they increase the fines.

Nevermind that the punishment is a lot worse for the poor and nothing at all to the rich (had a well of friend who sped everywhere and said he only backs off once the demerits add up), nevermind that it is better roads and safer cars that have the greatest impact on road tolls. Nevermind that checking your speedo constantly is more dangerous than travelling 5km over the limit. Must keep the money flowing in.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:54 pm

HAL wrote:
I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.

I did too

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:29 pm

Wokko wrote:
The creep of tyranny. Must keep the citizens in line, no marching out of step. What starts out as seemingly worthwhile seems to inevitably creep up as governments and councils become addicted to the revenue stream that fines create. As people stop speeding so much, they increase the fines. As people stop fare evading (or getting better at it), so they increase the fines.

Nevermind that the punishment is a lot worse for the poor and nothing at all to the rich (had a well of friend who sped everywhere and said he only backs off once the demerits add up), nevermind that it is better roads and safer cars that have the greatest impact on road tolls. Nevermind that checking your speedo constantly is more dangerous than travelling 5km over the limit. Must keep the money flowing in.

Agreed: "Creeping tyranny" is probably a bit strong, but it is in the nature of government to want to enlarge its reach and control, and i agree that this type of tax - for that is what it is - is vilely regressive.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:43 pm

David wrote:
I don't get too upset by this stuff generally—most fines exist as necessary deterrents—but I don't like the crackdowns on jaywalking. It's really one of those laws that should only be enforced when a pedestrian is putting lives in danger by crossing erratically, not because they started walking a few seconds after the red man started flashing.

Also, memo to public transport safety officers (if any are posting here!)—you're there to provide basic protection for commuters, not to enforce bureaucratic rules. It was pretty funny in hindsight, but I can't believe I got an official warning (and a threat of a triple figure fine) for running up the down escalator on an empty platform.

A bit of common sense
and moderation wouldn't go astray.

You first. Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Yeah yeah, I know, but I guess my point is that bizarre behaviour on its own shouldn't be a fineable offence. Laughing
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:21 am

I think it's great that our police force can take the time to stand at intersections and book people for jaywalking while real criminals carry on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: