Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Never seen a government lose its base so fast

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

""? Me, mr Toben's appeal to the Full Federal Court failed ?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The obsession with the scholarship trivia speaks eloquently of the poverty of political debate in this country. There are a lot of good reasons to wish Abbott out of office and it would be more interesting if people focussed on those.

pietillidie wrote:
Mate, just because you're not fond of matters pertaining to the abuse of privilege/class/wealth/access doesn't mean others aren't. Is this a particularly uncomfortable topic for you? Piketty is in vogue today rather than retrospectively in 1983 for very good reason.

Pies4shaw wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
The best part about that vapid piece of abuse is the implied premise that Liberal Party politicians are the only ones who are the recipients of dubious favours. I want a change of government - I don't want it because I believe the fairy-tale that the opposition are, to a woman, somehow more personally meritorious than the present incumbents. That's never the issue for people who can think for themselves. It's just low-price, sloppy, "four legs good, two legs better" rhetoric.

Finally, if you are going to resort to weasly attempts to smear me personally, try not to start your post with the word "Mate".

Right, so we've established it is a particularly sensitive topic for you and you really are out of date, hence the moth-ridden allusions and the hysterics at not being granted special status among men. Like many of our foibles, that's all fine if you're aware of it (though in case you haven't noticed, two-and-a-half decades have elapsed since the fall of the Berlin Wall).

Incidentally, the only fairy tale here is your 1980s denial of wealth and access as social cleavages. These days—believe it or not—many folk enjoy re-runs of Different Strokes and embrace reality all at once!

If that's what you take from my response, then there's little point in me engaging further. Have a nice day.

Yes, because if the world can't see your self-evident superiority, what kind of a world is it anyway?!!

[HAL intervenes like the tin-headed peacemaker he is]

PS. I'm sure you're a good bloke; I'm not questioning that. But you're far too censorial on matters of class for 2014, methinks Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:01 am

Actually, it's simple economics. Given that I charge the annual GDP of a small African country for each hour I work, there's only so much time I can allocate to being gratuitously misinterpreted for free.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:25 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Actually, it's simple economics. Given that I charge the annual GDP of a small African country for each hour I work, there's only so much time I can allocate to being gratuitously misinterpreted for free.

Hmmm, not so simple at all I'm afraid, Watson. I think you'd best stick to law; in economics, higher rates per hour ipso facto do not result in less spare time. Thus, according to the magnitude of your gloating, within the context of economics you should be duck diving in spare time.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:54 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The obsession with the scholarship trivia speaks eloquently of the poverty of political debate in this country. There are a lot of good reasons to wish Abbott out of office and it would be more interesting if people focussed on those.

Agreed.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:10 am

David wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed.

I know why you're agreeing, but Abbott has made trust and just reward a noose for his own neck. The scum bag is just another low-rent grafter who has abused privilege in the very same manner he claimed the unions and faceless men were doing.

You don't take that stuff seriously, but the people who voted him in claim they do.

So yes, it's relevant because he made it relevant.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:53 am

Where I agree with P4S is that I see the (partisan) polarisation of political debate in Australia as an essentially bad thing. It cheapens the level of discourse in all facets, and helped make the cartoony coverage of the last election possible. The effects on the quality of ALP leadership and policy, in particular, have been devastating.

Clearly, something's going wrong when a petition like this can attain 22,000 signatures:

https://www.change.org/p/tony-abbott-show-us-your-papers-renouncing-your-british-citizenship-before-you-were-elected

These are the sorts of trivialities that replace meaningful debate with mere barracking. And while I don't necessarily agree that Abbott's daughter's scholarship is a 'triviality' in of itself, I think pinning it on him is.

(Having said all that, I am still confused as to how misusing taxpayer-funded transport can be a career-ending move for some politicians but just a minor scandal for our PM and attorney general.)

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:34 pm

^All I would say is that was his choice at his own level of reasoning and propaganda, David, not yours. He won't give you the other discussion because he will lose even worse on it. So all you're doing is letting him off the hook.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:54 pm

David wrote:
And while I don't necessarily agree that Abbott's daughter's scholarship is a 'triviality' in of itself, I think pinning it on him is.

An interesting comment, David. Perhaps you could share your reasoning with us as I'm not following your logic here. How is a politician taking a secret $60,000 bribe "trivial"?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:00 pm

PS: Don't bother pretending that it wasn't $60,000 or that it wasn't a bribe.

The money went directly to a member of his immediate family, that's not in dispute.

The money was not paid for any normal reason, it was paid because she was Abbott's daughter. We don't have to suspect that or guess it, we know it for a fact because we know that no other student was given any gift of that nature in that year, or the year before, or any of the other years going back for a very long time. It was a special payment, made to a student not suffering from the slightest financial difficulty - her family has five or ten times the income of the average Australian family.

We don't know what was expected in return for the massive gift. Quite possibly there was no specific expectation, just a general one of favours down the track at some point, but no-one in their right mind would just hand $60,000 to a family already way, way better off than the average Australian on a whim or for no reason.

Most damning of all, we know - it's on the public record - that Abbott kept the $60,000 gift completely secret. He didn't even declare it on the pecuniary interest register - the list of politician's gifts and other interests which was created specifically to deal with bribery scandals of just this nature back in the days of (if I remember correctly) the Howard Liberal government. The whole point of the register is that, by listing your interests, you show that your actions are above board and not tainted by bribery or self-interest. It doesn't actually stop you taking a bribe, but it makes your affairs public so that you can't do it without being found out.

It's a simple distinction: gifts you declare may or may not be bribes - sometimes they are perfectly legitimate - but they are out in the open and if they do constitute bribes, you have to be pretty careful about how you go about providing the favour the gift was designed to encourage or compel. Gifts you keep secret, on the other hand, especially very large, unexplained gifts like this one, are always bribes of one sort of another - if it was honest and above board, there would be no reason to keep it secret in the first place, and compelling reasons to make sure that you disclosed it so that people wouldn't get the wrong idea.

Finally, he failed to decline it or hand it back like an honest man, he kept the money it in the family and (if I remember correctly) is still holding onto it. (Or, to be more precise, holding onto the $60,000 of his own money he would have had to spend if it wasn't for the "lucky" bribe money.)

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Back to the thread topic Laughing

Andrew Bolt losing patience with Abbott's government too.

http://www.news.com.au/national/high-time-for-abbott-government-to-do-or-die/story-e6frfkp9-1227128645333

When the rusted on conservatives are after you and there is no more than a thin film to scrape from the left that despises you, your government is in big, big trouble. Like Labor losing the left before last election, it's a recipe for disaster.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Amazing stuff, Wokko. It's a bit of a gobsmacker: boiled down, Bolt is saying that the recipe to fix the Abbott' government's sustained unpopularity is to bring in more policies like the widely disliked ones they already brought in or tried to bring in. In short, says Bolt, if you are in a hole, dig even deeper. The mind boggles.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Tannin wrote:
PS: Don't bother pretending that it wasn't $60,000 or that it wasn't a bribe.

The money went directly to a member of his immediate family, that's not in dispute.

The money was not paid for any normal reason, it was paid because she was Abbott's daughter. We don't have to suspect that or guess it, we know it for a fact because we know that no other student was given any gift of that nature in that year, or the year before, or any of the other years going back for a very long time. It was a special payment, made to a student not suffering from the slightest financial difficulty - her family has five or ten times the income of the average Australian family.

We don't know what was expected in return for the massive gift. Quite possibly there was no specific expectation, just a general one of favours down the track at some point, but no-one in their right mind would just hand $60,000 to a family already way, way better off than the average Australian on a whim or for no reason.

Most damning of all, we know - it's on the public record - that Abbott kept the $60,000 gift completely secret. He didn't even declare it on the pecuniary interest register - the list of politician's gifts and other interests which was created specifically to deal with bribery scandals of just this nature back in the days of (if I remember correctly) the Howard Liberal government. The whole point of the register is that, by listing your interests, you show that your actions are above board and not tainted by bribery or self-interest. It doesn't actually stop you taking a bribe, but it makes your affairs public so that you can't do it without being found out.

It's a simple distinction: gifts you declare may or may not be bribes - sometimes they are perfectly legitimate - but they are out in the open and if they do constitute bribes, you have to be pretty careful about how you go about providing the favour the gift was designed to encourage or compel. Gifts you keep secret, on the other hand, especially very large, unexplained gifts like this one, are always bribes of one sort of another - if it was honest and above board, there would be no reason to keep it secret in the first place, and compelling reasons to make sure that you disclosed it so that people wouldn't get the wrong idea.

Finally, he failed to decline it or hand it back like an honest man, he kept the money it in the family and (if I remember correctly) is still holding onto it. (Or, to be more precise, holding onto the $60,000 of his own money he would have had to spend if it wasn't for the "lucky" bribe money.)

Couple of points.

1. Abbott seems to be fairly meticulous in declaring gifts in general http://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/03%20Senators%20and%20Members/32%20Members/Register/44p/AB/AbbottA_44P.pdf

2. A scholarship achieved (allegedly/supposedly, pick a description) on merit is NOT a gift and as such he would be under no obligation to declare it, unless you can find something in the guidelines that I can't.

That you assume it is a bribe/gift is a reasonable supposition, but it is still only that, and not a fact.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Rookie question, perhaps, but why would Abbott have to declare a scholarship granted to his adult daughter?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Tannin wrote:
Amazing stuff, Wokko. It's a bit of a gobsmacker: boiled down, Bolt is saying that the recipe to fix the Abbott' government's sustained unpopularity is to bring in more policies like the widely disliked ones they already brought in or tried to bring in. In short, says Bolt, if you are in a hole, dig even deeper. The mind boggles.
Great Description, I could not have said it better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20   

Jump to: