Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Never seen a government lose its base so fast

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie Bishop's people have been on a year long PR campaign because everyone could see Tony falling over sooner rather than later.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:48 am

For the Libs, their best bet is to stick with Abbott for as long as possible - say another full year, and only switch to Turnbull, Morrison, or the Asbestos Witch a few months before the election.

They can't afford to leave it so late that the new leader doesn't have time to regain some popularity with two or three major policy backflips to "prove" that he or she is good for Australia and nothing like Abbott/Hockey - for example, introduce a carbon trading scheme, restore funding to the ABC, and abandon the tertiary education cuts. These will have to be serious, big dollar policy announcements and they will have to be actually implemented - no-one is going to fall for more Liberal feel-good promises after the way that Abbott lied his way into office. This will be hard for them: they have to (a) endure another year under the dysfunctional Abbott-Hockey clowns, and (b) swallow some very large and (to them) nasty-tasting policies, and pretend they like it. Make no mistake, if the new leader doesn't do some serious lurching back towards the centre, he or she will never get traction. If he is content to simply inherit Abbott's hard-right policies, he will inherit Abbott's miserable popularity rating too.

If the Libs switch leaders early, they will be in trouble by the time the election comes around. Abbott is the figurehead and the butt of all the jokes, but the engineroom of public resentment is the government's massive cutbacks and inability to think outside the 1950s framework. The new leader, if they switch now, will surge ahead for a while, but gradually fall back towards disasterville as the impact of the Liberal hard-right policies is felt. They have to hit the election with the new leader looking like a breath of fresh air. If they switch too early, they will give the public too much time to figure out that nothing much has changed and that Mr Morrison / Mr Turnbull / Ms Asbestosis is just Abbott Mark II, withsmaller ears and the same terrible policies.

(Of course they could switch leaders and switch their policy agenda to a mild, sensible centre-right steady-as-she-goes direction, and stay in government forever, but the chances of that happening are between nil and zero.)

For Labor, the best outcome would be for Abbott to stay on and get right royally thumped out of office at the election. Second best would be either a last-minute panic Liberal leadership change, or an early change with plenty of time for the public to realise that the new leader is simply Abbott with smaller ears and the hated Liberal policies haven't changed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:51 am

The ALP are going to need a Hayden/Hawke type overthrow, I just don't think Shorten is electable as a PM.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:21 am

^ Thanks to Rudd, Labor is unable to switch leaders in the normal way. Rudd Mark II, in his paranoia and maniacal self-justification, brought in new rules making a leadership change almost impossible, and in its poll-driven panic, Labor let him do it. Rudd is gone now, but the damage he caused lingers on.

But Shorten isn't unelectable. As things stand, he only has to be Not Tony. Whether being Not Julie or Not Scott will be enough ... wait and see.

In any case, it is absurd to describe the mild, nondescript Shorten as "enelectable" just 18 months after Australia elected the palpably loopy Abbott. If we can elect Abbott, we can elect anyone.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:23 am

PS: but I wish things were otherwise. Tony Burke would have been Labor's best choice, and still is their best performer.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Tannin wrote:
In any case, it is absurd to describe the mild, nondescript Shorten as "enelectable" just 18 months after Australia elected the palpably loopy Abbott. If we can elect Abbott, we can elect anyone.

Ain't that the truth!

Frankly, I can't stand Shorten. He's very much in the Gillard/Rudd mould (right-wing, unimaginative, practically content-free) except possibly worse. The idea that he will be our next PM actually depresses me. He's done absolutely nothing to deserve it; in fact, I'd take almost anyone on the Labor frontbench over him. But what can you do? There's practically zero chance of him getting the boot so long as Abbott is stinking it up as prime minister. At least Shorten will be a safe pair of hands in government, and at the moment that seems to be a luxury.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:50 pm

You don't win elections, you lose them. At the moment and things can change but I doubt it. I will say Abbott is simply unelectable the second time around. The Born to Rule mob are in trouble if they mount a challenge after all the attacks on Labour with the Rudd/Gillard fiasco. They have't really put a budget down, they are finding out how hard it is when you don't control the upper house. We are in for a few painful years because of the Senate make up.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:31 pm

1061 wrote:
The ALP are going to need a Hayden/Hawke type overthrow, I just don't think Shorten is electable as a PM.

Strongly disagree. At this stage, he only has to beat Abbott. If Malcolm gets the Libs leadership, you may be spot on but not with Abbott as PM.

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:03 pm

My sister took part in a phone poll last week and was asked the usual questions on Abbott etc. apparently no one chose Joe Hockey as alternative leader. The other choice was Turnbull. Interestingly one of the questions was about raising the gst and should exempt items such as food be included.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:08 pm

Older sister or younger?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:38 pm

David wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Ain't that the truth!

Frankly, I can't stand Shorten. He's very much in the Gillard/Rudd mould (right-wing, unimaginative, practically content-free) except possibly worse. The idea that he will be our next PM actually depresses me. He's done absolutely nothing to deserve it; in fact, I'd take almost anyone on the Labor frontbench over him. But what can you do? There's practically zero chance of him getting the boot so long as Abbott is stinking it up as prime minister. At least Shorten will be a safe pair of hands in government, and at the moment that seems to be a luxury.

Don't think Shorten would be a safe pair of hands, he's copying the Abbott playbook perfectly, potentially right down to having NFI how to deal with all the different pressure groups once in power.

I don't particularly dislike him, I just personally consider him ineffectual and a policy and personality free zone. BUT, he did manage to keep getting elected in his past life as a union rep so there may just be some substance he's keeping hidden.

Graeme Richardson has a great comment about Abbott, he says he hasn't geon in the job like some leaders, he's diminished. Opportunity after the last election was spread as wide as your mother in laws mouth and he's basically made a right royal stuff up. FFS Tannin well described Gillards public speaking capacity as somewhat lacking, Abbott being interviewed could be upstaged by a concussed footballer with a grade 5 education.

Getting into a serious leadership position brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.

It bought out the worst in Rudd and it's bought out the worst in Abbott in two completely different ways.

BTW I completely agree with Tannin on the potential timing of Abbott being replaced, if it happens. The Libs invested heavily in bagging Labor for swapping leaders as they did, they'll be loathe to do the same thing until it becomes the only palatable option remaining. More likely Abbott will either be "convinced" to resign ala Red Ted or has an "accident" when out for his morning bike ride.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
has an "accident" when out for his morning bike ride.

Something similar to Holt?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:34 pm

1061 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The Tony Abbott memorial velodrome, right next to the Holt Swimming pool. It's getting like Madame Tussaud's

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Mugwump wrote:
1061 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The Tony Abbott memorial velodrome, right next to the Holt Swimming pool. It's getting like Madame Tussaud's

Bwah hahahahaha I'd never thought of that.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:55 pm

Tony Abbott declares himself a 'good captain' of the Government as Joe Hockey warns colleagues against complaining about PM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-30/abbott-declares-himself-a-good-captain-of-the-government/6057484

Tony Abbott has declared himself "a very good captain" of the Government's team, at the end of the most punishing week of his tenure as Prime Minister.

He was in the Victorian town of Colac today, using dairy exporters Bulla Foods as a backdrop to demonstrate how Australians would benefit from the Government's free trade deals.

But he was dogged by leadership questions and was asked why both his Foreign Minister, Julie Bishop, and Communications Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, ranked above him in polls on preferred prime minister.

"This is a very strong team," he said. "And one of the reasons why so many members of the team are able to perform so well is because they've got a very good captain.

"It takes a good captain to help all the players of a team to excel."

Laughing Laughing Laughing - oh hang on I think he actually believes this - Shocked Shocked

Can't argue with this!

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/the-pms-woes-started-earlier-than-you-think-20150129-130mcx.html Laughing Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20   

Jump to: