Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mysteries of the Bulletin Board

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2000 9:39 am
Post subject: Mysteries of the Bulletin BoardReply with quote

Well, just when it was getting interesting too.
Can we have a re-think on Alf please?
I'm sure we can find a couple more cretins to put their collective feet in it. I mean, you just have to wonder where these people come from don't you?
Probably Patterson Lakes or somewhere like it.
But Alf old boy (well it is a very old name for a young bloke)
you still haven't answered the quiz/trivia question from last week.....you've lost points I'm afraid.
I'd like to see The Grace Darling a Collingwood pub again....filled with black and white after a game. A few Pies are doing it especially on sat. arvo games.....it sure beats the hell out of The Coach and Horse which apparently the Club has bought as an outer suburbs (Ringwood)pub/gaming venue.
When will they ever learn? How much did we lose on the Whitehorse Inn and VicPark Primary School fiasco?
And speaking of terminating threads; could we end the tiresome to-ing and fro-ing over the cheersquads already?
Who cares whether they don't like each other much now......that's nothing new...they never did.
For what it's worth my brother and I always sat with the Outer CS
as we were never welcomed by The Official anyway.
They should all get together and be one enormous force....now that would really be something to see AND hear.
Finally, last night on The Footy Show during the Mick Malthouse interview Eddie was asked about the Sydney Magpies.
His reply was very interesting and I quote it verbatim below.

"The Magpies will be looking at maybe playing some games in Sydney next year but only AND ONLY if there is no impact on the Collingwood team in Melbourne.
We'll be playing more games hopefully in Melbourne than we'll be playing away. But we might have a look at it just to see what happens"

As Mike Moore would say...Hmmmmmmmmm, inter-esting!
Now I know this will undo all my PR here today especially with you Alf and you too Peter in Cairns, BUT, if the club can get a great deal why the hell not play some games up there.
Direct TV coverage, huge money spinner, membership bonanza (can you not imagine the Sydney folk flocking to a REAL club with pride and passion, compared with what they have now - one failed Melbourne club and one soon to be Failed Melbourne club)plus no loss for us here in Melbourne.
Now the deal would have to involve the AFL and a TV network wouldn't it? Hmmmmmm, now I think this is where JBL/Jamie Packer come in. Channel 9 to telecast our games etc and those tossers at the AFL.......they'd jump at it. Collingwood to play interstate games in Sydey instead of elsewhere.
Freeo vs Coll in Sydney
North vs Coll in Sydney
Sydney vs Coll in Sydney
there's 3 games for starters. It would have to be a deal for interstate away games as a simple swap of venues to Sydney.
Sounds like it's worth pursuing....why not?
OK, Mike get ready for the flood gates to open....who needs Christian from Berwick.
PS To Spidergirl and friends.
Was in Smith St the other day and went to the Adidas store to buy one of those white T-shirts with Emirates emblazoned across front.
Not available, but the person who served me plays for the club.
Any guesses? Clue: he has played every game this year and his mother should be shot.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2000 4:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have to be the trivia question of the season Neil, but I think I remember you casting aspersions on this guy's parents when he was picked up as a rookie.

Is he, by any chance, over-endowed with 'y's?
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2000 5:13 am

Ah, Neil

What can I say?

I'll deal with the minor matters first.

Don't you think maybe it's a little bit odd to be complaining about the "endless to-ing and fro-ing" over Cheer Squads in a forum that is, supposedly devoted to ... wait for it ... CHEER SQUADS ?

Okay, point 2:
That trivia question you asked a couple of weeks back. You asked what bit of Collingwood's history could still be found in the Grace Darling Hotel. I explained at the time that I didn't know the answer. Basically, I gave up the demon drink a few years ago and, as a result, I am not in the habit of frequenting hotels. Not that I've got anything against those who do. I just prefer, personally, to keep temptation out of my path. Mind you, that doesn't stop me from having a coffee in the Social Club from time to time.

BUT OKAY. I'VE ADMITTED IT. I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION. SO WILL YOU NOW PUT US ALL OUT OF OUR MISERY AND TELL US THE ANSWER!!!!

Now on to more serious matters. Yes, Neil. Alf is a very old-fashioned name. And I've got a very old-fashioned remedy for anyone using the 6-letter "S"-word in relation to the Magpies.

Neil Appleby - wash your mouth out with soap!

The "S#&~ey Magpies". Whatever next?

You seem to be the only person on this site who thinks the Sydney venture is a good idea. Those 3 games that you suggested by way of example:

Sydney V Collingwood (i.e. a Sydney home match) in Sydney is fair enough. That already happens.

Kangaroos V Collingwood in Sydney would be fair enough if it was a Kangaroos home game.

Fremantle V Collingwood (i.e. a Freo home game) in Sydney would be utterly unacceptable to Freo supporters who only get to see their club in Perth 12 times a season as it is.

Just a few comments on this quote that you attribute to Eddie McG.
"... only if there is no impact on the Collingwood team in Melbourne."
What does that mean? The Collingwood "team"? does he mean the players? Of course it won't make any difference to them. They'll just hop on a plane, play the match, go home and collect their pay as usual. And jet setters like Eddie will think no more of a plane trip to Sydney than I would think of a train ride to Jolimont.

"We'll be playing more games hopefully in Melbourne than we'll be playing away."
Well I would bloody-well hope so!!! One of the advantages of living in Melbourne and supporting a Melbourne-based club is that you do get to see your team at least 16 times a year without having to travel interstate. Hence the popularity of the 16 game season ticket.
Now, if we start playing less than 16 games in Melbourne (which could happen if you start tampering with our real "home" games) the 16-game ticket holders are going to get ripped off.
Will they reduce the cost of the 16-game packages accordingly? I think you'd have to believe in the tooth fairy, wouldn't you?

The idea stinks.

And finally, to get back to Eddie's quote: "We might have a look at it just to see what happens."

I'll tell you what will happen. A lot of Collingwood fans are going to get extremely pissed off. Many will refuse to renew their memberships in protest. I might even be one of them. Nah, probably not. I suppose I'll cop it on the chin.

You can be sure of one thing. The Club will not give a toss what the barrackers think. They'll just go ahead and do it because they are basically an arrogant pack of business-minded bean counters who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

And the Sydney football public, who wouldn't know a "great club with pride and passion" if it bit them on the bum, will possibly turn up to watch us as long as we're winning and will drop us like a hot potato as soon as we have any sort of slump.

I repeat. The idea stinks.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2000 10:44 am

Neil,
Which player was in the shop??? and why should his mother be shot??? I don't get it i'm dumb.

Anyway where abouts in the outer do ya sit? Do you sit a few rows back with Cameron? U know him? I sit with the outer now a bit and i sit down the front (number 8 on the back of course)!

#8 RoCkS
Go RiCkY!

Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 3:06 am

Spidergirl,
Tarkyn Lockyer was working in the Adidas Factory Outlet last Wednesday and surprisingly, he looks really small off the field.
What I mean by that is usually these guys are surprisingly big off field , but Tarkyn looked like a 16 year old kid.
Why should his mum be shot?
Any mother that names her son Tarkyn has to be kidding.
I wonder if there are any other Lockyers in the wings????
I don't sit with the outer any more....that was oooooh let me see, about 30 years ago when it was real easy being a Pie.
I really admire the young Magpie supporters these days...they haven't seen their club have any success and yet there they are in their tens of thousands every game.
Success is just around the corner...you guys won't have to wait thirty years for a flag like my generation did....hopefully!

paul 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 2:37 pm

Neil
Tarkyn has three brothers ..Parkyn, Markyn and Freddy.
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 4:05 pm

cool, so Tarkyn was in there, well thanks for that Neil, might just have to pay little Tarkyn a visit!

#8 RoCkS
Go RiCkY!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: