Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

All the Sidey baggers here....get off his back

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
No way he's A grade. He is a potential A-grader, no question, but he has a fair way to go before he can lay claim to equal standing with the genuine A-grade stars of the game. At his best, he plays well enough to be ranked alongside the Pendleburys of this world, but a genuine A-grader plays like that every week, not just every now and then. Right now, Sidebottom is a B-grader with A-grade talent He still has to convert. You can't award a player with a status just because you think he might be good when he hits his straps. He has to prove it with consistent performances, week in and week out.

I reckon he's pretty close to being able to do that, but he certainly hasn't done it yet. 2015 might be his year, he's nearly ready to break through. He has the talent, he has the fitness, he has the work rate, he has the skills. All he needs to do now is eliminate the last few weaknesses from his game - slow, counter-productive disposal with short helicopter kicks is the biggest one - and he will rightfully take his place alongside players like Swan, Pendlebury, and Beams. Right now, he's on the next rung below those three - which makes him unquestionably a good B grade player looking to step up.

Agree whole heartedly with this sentiment. Could be great, but needs more then the odd week here and there. Having said that he is in our best 22.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:48 pm

I reckon he's in our top half dozen players and has been for a while. Sure he can miskick on occasion but by Christ he works hard going both ways (only rivalled by Pendles on that front) and he links up better than anyone.

He's also a natural crumber with smarts around goal who'd be a bloody good small forward if he wasn't needed elsewhere.

I too was highly critical of him until we didn't have him for 3 weeks and saw the stark reality of just how crucial to our side he is.

He'll nudge the Copeland this year and absolutely deservedly so IMO.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Flashman wrote:
I reckon he's in our top half dozen players and has been for a while. Sure he can miskick on occasion but by Christ he works hard going both ways (only rivalled by Pendles on that front) and he links up better than anyone.

He's also a natural crumber with smarts around goal who'd be a bloody good small forward if he wasn't needed elsewhere.

I too was highly critical of him until we didn't have him for 3 weeks and saw the stark reality of just how crucial to our side he is.

Agree, and he only turned 23 in January so probably not actually at the peak of his powers. Would like to see a list of players who at his age are performing better.
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Flashman wrote:

Fair to say he is still yet to hit his 'peak playing years'. The only thing I would argue about is still his consistency. In matches we have lost this year he has tended to be non-sighted. Having said that I know that it is an accusation that really could be levelled at a fair few senior players. And i agree, when Sidey is "on" song his work ethic is unquestionable.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:06 pm

Defender wrote:
Tannin wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I've been a knocker of sidey not for his ability but more with his consistency this season. Today he played much better and his football sense to get to the back of the pack and kick the vital goal shows what he is capable of. My only wish is he would kick the dang thing long at times instead of looking backwards (he is not the only guilty party) just with his skill he could be so much more damaging for mine.

^ This. He was excellent today, the ABC callers (usually very good judges) said he was clearly BOG. Many of the complaints about Sidey only happen because we see the immense talent he has and then we see the number of ordinary games he puts in. If a Goldsack or a Blair or even a Macaffer played to Sidebottom's typical standard, we would all applaud and say "well done son". But we expect more from the Man of Steele. We expect him to be a genuine A Grader and play like one. We expect Sidey to play somewhere around about the level of a Pendlebury, a fit Swan, or a Beams. This week, he did just that. We don't expect BOG every week - no player can do that, not even GAblett - but we want to see him performing like the A Grade player he can be and should be. And this week he did just that.

Clearly BOG? Lol, Beamer says hi.

Agree defender thought Beams was head and shoulders above the rest and clearly BOG IMO. But sidey was important and stood up with his football brain when it counted. He has the ability to be an elite outside mid just lacks the consistency over 4 qtrs this year IMO.
As for the B&F I think it's a race in 2 with Pendles and Beams clear of the pack. Sidey would be top 5 or 6 remembering he missed 3 weeks suspended.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:09 pm

derkd wrote:
Flashman wrote:

Fair to say he is still yet to hit his 'peak playing years'. The only thing I would argue about is still his consistency. In matches we have lost this year he has tended to be non-sighted. Having said that I know that it is an accusation that really could be levelled at a fair few senior players. And i agree, when Sidey is "on" song his work ethic is unquestionable.

Sidey & Beams are yet to hit there best years IMO and the scarey fact is if they both improve more on little aspects in there game then we have 2 elite A graders with plenty of years in front of them. Just hope both remain injury free and achieve there undoubted potential.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:13 pm

How?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:21 pm

The sidey Beams comparison is often made as they both got drafted in the same year and played a similar amount of games.
Both play vastly different roles which are equally important to our team structure.
IMO the comparisons is interesting.
Kicking
Sidey very good kick on most occasions but does have that little dinky kick which makes me cringe at times
Beams good kick more of a get it going forward at all costs type kick not a set up vision kick like sidey.
Verdict maybe a slight edge to sidey
Goals
Sidey has been known to miss goals he should kick (a few from 30-35 out near in front come to mind) but he does kick important goals
Beams is a known goal kicker averaging better than a goal a game which is good.
Verdict Beams in front
Running
Sidey is close to elite in this regard and runs both ways equally
Beams more of a one paced player but does get to contests and has built his tank better each year
Verdict sidey wins
Marking
Sidey strong mark seems to have safe hands on most occasions
Beams very good mark with good hands
Verdict equally as good as each other
Handball
Sidey can be iffy at times giving it to players under pressure but also does have good vision
Beams very good use of the handball and seemingly finds team mates regularly.
Verdict slight edge to Beams
Tackling
Sidey is a better than average tackler and uses his body well
Beams a more eager tackler but mainly due to his positioned played.
Verdict both equal
Won't go into clearances as its not Sidey's job

IMO opinion they are both great players still with upsides.
I would have Beams very slightly ahead ATM on terms of consistency only. But if it comes down to pure football brain then sidey would have the edge.
I get excited thinking how much better each could become and remembering when they started how they have improved.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 pm

When Sidebottom's use of the ball is to Collingwood's advantage, he's our most damaging player. His running to space and ability to link up is second to none, and he has fantastic goal sense.

However, he doesn't win a great deal of his own ball, so when his use of the ball is astray or lazy (as it can be), he becomes a liability.
Cost us the game against Gold Coast by trying to be too cute early on multiple occasions. (Had some mates that helped hand that game over though.)
Cost us the game against Geelong by butchering the pill all night, and being too soft in a couple of crucial contests at crucial stages.
Could've almost won the Adelaide Oval game off his own boot with better disposal/decision making in the forward half that night.

Thankfully, the good is outweighing the bad mostly. Having said all of the above, I believe he'd be top 2 in the Copeland to this point, has played some cracking games.

This is why he can be frustrating to watch; one minute he looks like an elite player in the competition, next minute he gives the impression he's running around having a blast in the bush.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:46 pm

Defender wrote:
Clearly BOG? Lol, Beamer says hi.

That wasn't me, mate, it was a commentator. I forget which one now, but it's usually a recently retired player with two or three hundred games of AFL experience - i.e., one or two more than you or me. They gave the votes as 3: Sidebottom, 2: Hartlett (Port), 1: Beams. I haven't seen the game myself yet, only heard the broadcast, so I'll make my own mind up after that. But whichever way you slice it, Sidey played a very good game and was in the votes this week. Or are you saying he was crap?

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:19 pm

Beamer was the better player on the weekend and shades Sidey over his career for mine because of his contested ball winning and better set shot kicking for goal.

I'd have Sidey 3rd in the Copeland behind Beams and Pendles. 3 games out robs you of votes in a system which rewards each player with a vote for playing.

For those who are Champion Data minded, he ranks 12th of all midfielders in the AFL this season on Supercoach averages. Ahead of players like S Johnson, Sloane, Dangerfield, Harvey, Barlow, M Murphy. Fair company. (Beams ranks 6 behind Ablett, Rockliff, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Selwood)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: