Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Father - Son Bidding

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 pm
Post subject: Father - Son BiddingReply with quote

I read with some interest the changes currently under consideration by the AFL regarding Farther-Son and Academy talent.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-07/fatherson-bidding-changes

Is it just me or does it strike me as grossly unfair that sides should have to pay more for something, really, that is pure chance. You can't orchestrate this sort of talent ...you couldn't demand that say the Daniher's to give birth to a talented son as some sort of 'rort' to the system. It is pure luck, and while i don't have an issue with the bidding system if the kid is talented enough...why should clubs be pushed into throwing all the eggs into one basket in the form of first and potently second round picks ?

In the same way that alright, Sydney might land a prodigiously talented kid in this years draft....but they put the time and money into this kid. If not for Sydney's accedmy can we even prove that he would have stayed in the system and would be where he is now?

This just strikes me as the AFL meddling with something that is not an issue....The Dog's got two father son picks in the one draft......great, now how many Premerships has that won them? ....So my question is where is the unfair advantage that has to be stomped out?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pile of horseshit. Let the market decide the value of a player though the bidding process and if a team gets 2 F/S in a year, then so be it. They're just adamant about this 'equal' competition that it's leading to stupidity like this.

Of course they want to find 'fair value' when it's the Pies getting a top prospect through father/son.

"AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said there was still a chance the system could be introduced for the 2014 NAB AFL Draft."

Piss off.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Entire issue has arisen because Sydney and Brisbane get a double dip. Not only do they get access to F/S prospects, they get access to Academy kids in their respective States. I can understand expansion clubs like GWS and GCS getting access to these Academy kids, they don't have F/S prospects in their immediate futures but the Sydney and Brisbane access is just a rort too far. Leave the F/S alone, fix the rort, no need to f@&% up the entire thing.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:11 pm

It's the Darcy Moore rule.

Unscrupulous bastards

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
It's the Darcy Moore rule.

Unscrupulous bastards

and Eddie’s Big Mouth Rule

Little Wonder 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:24 pm

jackcass wrote:
Entire issue has arisen because Sydney and Brisbane get a double dip. Not only do they get access to F/S prospects, they get access to Academy kids in their respective States. I can understand expansion clubs like GWS and GCS getting access to these Academy kids, they don't have F/S prospects in their immediate futures but the Sydney and Brisbane access is just a rort too far. Leave the F/S alone, fix the rort, no need to f@&% up the entire thing.

Spot on Jack. The bidding system is just about right now where a players worth is the price you pay.

I dont see the need for a state academy- it is a return to the old zones that existed pre AFL draft. I am sure we would love to develop talent in the northern suburbs and Victoria's western district like the old days and have first bid on them.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:40 pm

That system will kill the chances of a highly talented Father/Son pick from going to their desired club for two reasons.

How many clubs will gamble a First and Second round pick for an unproven player? These are very high stakes. It's not like you can have your picks refunded if the player wasn't as talented as the formula predicts.

..And why would a club pay full (or potentially above) market price on a F/S pick instead of drafting for a specific need? Any club wanting to be a serious premiership contender should put more weight on addressing a weakness over carrying on a family tradition.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:18 pm

I think any of the clubs who have a hot prospect like us should push for this to be delayed and reviewed post-season purely out of self interest. Why the rush on this anyway. Let's hope Moore is a gun and any pick that we end up using will end up a bargain.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
That system will kill the chances of a highly talented Father/Son pick from going to their desired club for two reasons.

How many clubs will gamble a First and Second round pick for an unproven player? These are very high stakes. It's not like you can have your picks refunded if the player wasn't as talented as the formula predicts.

..And why would a club pay full (or potentially above) market price on a F/S pick instead of drafting for a specific need? Any club wanting to be a serious premiership contender should put more weight on addressing a weakness over carrying on a family tradition.

Agree, With teams might have to give up 2 Picks then team’s might pass.

We are tad Lucky that it’s said this year is said to be a Shallow draft so giving up a later Pick won’t be as bad.

It’s just another way the AFL is Destroying the game we love

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Damien wrote:
I think any of the clubs who have a hot prospect like us should push for this to be delayed and reviewed post-season purely out of self interest. Why the rush on this anyway. Let's hope Moore is a gun and any pick that we end up using will end up a bargain.

Moore is a Gun Prospect so don’t worry about that.

Yeah, hope Eddie holds this Stupid Thing

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:43 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:

Yes and no. Not too many F/Ss come through at the elite end, most are late ND or rookie picks. We've actually passed of our last 2 prospects.

As I understand the proposal, clubs will need to match an assessed points value of a player with a combination of picks so in theory it could be picks 1, 5, 6, & 7. Time will tell. I don't like it but it's just hard to judge how it will roll out.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Damien wrote:

Sydney's access to Heeney then becomes the issue.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:52 pm

jackcass wrote:
Damien wrote:

Sydney's access to Heeney then becomes the issue.

and Other Highly Rated players from there NSW/QLD Academies

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm going to buck the vibe of this thread and say that I think this is a sensible proposal, provided they're looking at evening out the bumps at each end - a bottom team that gets the two best players in the draft, a top team that gets a top player with pick 18, or the advantage of having multiple father/sons in the one year - rather than making teams pay an absolutely fair price. If the "discounts" are generous enough, most picks around the middle should remain unchanged.

I think the changes are absolutely necessary for academy players. This is a potential continual source of quality players (35 will be nominated this year), whereas father/sons come along infrequently for each club. Making a change to the academy system also requires a change to father/son, given that the academy basically replaces this system for new clubs.

Put it this way: if Carlton finished bottom and were able to take Kernahan jr, the projected number 1 pick as well as the number 2 pick in the second round, I'd not be happy.

So, I'm on board as long as the discounts are generous enough and that there is still an incentive to continue the father/son tradition.

Rexy17 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Think I might have a solution

leave the bidding system as it is, if some side bids a 1st rounder then that is matched by the clubs next bid. ( as it is now) However if there are 2 or more so called 1st rounders (most likely Academy kids) the club can only take 1 and must choose. The one not picked then goes to the highest 1st round bidder. If the Academy kids are rated in in different rounds of the draft the club can take them with their next pick if some other club bids, but can only take one.
ie. if there is 2 1st round picks they can only take one, if a 1st round and 2nd round pick they can get both.

same would apply for F and S picks

cheers

Rexy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: