Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's your greatest pyhsical achievment ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm
Post subject: What's your greatest pyhsical achievment ?Reply with quote

I ask this as next month I'm travelling to the USA. Being a keen runner, I thought I'd see if any events work in with my travels. Heaps do ... the one I've entered is the Pier to Peak half marathon in Santa Barbara, often called the toughest half marathon in the world as it's a steady climb from sea level to over 4000ft at the finish. had to sign a waiver that included encounters with Bears or Mountain Lions are at my own risk Shocked should be a cracker.

So far for me it's finishing my first marathon last year, 3:59:16. Sore for days after the event.
Second would be the Great Western sand storm half marathon... 21.1ks in soft sand along Swanbourne beach ... gruelling event.
Third would be surfing waves as big as mountains in the shark infested waters of our south west, 30 years ago, too stupid to know any better.

What's yours?

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Finishing the Big M Melbourne marathon way back in the early 80's my time was similar to yours 3:48:20
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 pm

Partially completed a clean and jerk on the front of a toyota corolla with 2 people in the front seat about 20 years ago when I was rather angry. Completed the "clean section", with the front bumper just under my chin while standing up but couldn't quite complete the lift.

If you mean real athletics, far call. Sad

I quit playing footy in my early 20's as the combination of 2 stuffed knees and little natural ability helped making the decision that drinking was a more productive pastime quite easy.

I was asked to leave the tennis club after telling the biased umpire (mum of the kid I was playing against) she was a blind fkn cheating idiot. I was 12

I do have a medal somewhere for my team winning a squash tournament, I've broken 100 off the stick at golf, once and I used to be a reasonable middle distance runner but never ran anything longer than 10km and that was for pre season footy training not a race.

Sad

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Playing a combined 83 games of football for both Glenorchy and my school back when I was a kid was.. Honestly miss the days of being a hyperactive kid kicking the footy every day while running about the old shopping centre carpark over the road and back and front yards.

Injuries and a few incidents after that has made it hard to get out there and do it again.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:32 pm

When I was a teenager I won quite a few State titles as a sprinter ( 100 & 200m) and was an A Grade basketballer.....

Then I started nursing - we got one weekend in 12 off and so that was the end of that Sad

Now my greatest achievement is being able to get through the entire song " nutbushing" Razz

Last edited by Morrigu on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:33 pm

Masturbating with a fever.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 pm

Getting out of Bed when I really don't want to.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Getting out of Bed when I really don't want to.

Laughing Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 pm

Picking/ carrying bananas on a kibbutz in above 40 degree celsius in northern Israel which I did for many months of 1975.

The hard part was being on a semi trailer and lifting bunches continuously that was carried by others, lifting them up then carrying them down the trailer then stacking them. Filled the semi trailer. That was very tough work.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:10 pm

Digging holes.

I once turned up to a planting weekend with 60 or 80 other people where, as it happened, nearly all the volunteers were either very young first year female university students or else elderly. This particular batch of first year girls were much more decorative than they were physical and mostly had no clue how to swing a mattock. (There is an art to swinging a mattock, an axe, or a pick efficiently for maximum effect with minimum wasted effort: once learned you never forget it, but you do have to learn it and it takes a surprisingly long while if you didn't grow up doing it.) No problem there, they were willing enough and normally you divide the planting group up into two teams of roughly equal numbers: one team digs the holes and the other team plants into them. Typically people swap jobs every now and again to use some different muscles, though some (mostly women and older people) prefer to plant all day and a few of the very fittest young men like to dig all day.

This particular weekend, there were 40 or 50 planters and only a handful of diggers, and all of those diggers except two were inexperienced, of slight build, female, and/or elderly.

Now you can't have the planters standing around waiting for prepared holes to work with, that would be a criminal waste of priceless volunteer labour, but there simply weren't enough of the right sort of bodies to go around. After the first hour or two, most of the diggers had had enough and fell by the wayside, or at least slowed down 'coz they were buggered. I'd had about enough myself, so I looked around for a willing planter to swap jobs with .... looked a bit harder ... realised that there just wasn't anybody else up for the job except me and the sole other "natural" digger, a redheaded uni student maybe 24 years old, keen as mustard and built like a brick outhouse: 6 foot 2 or 3, muscles like a rugby forward, big barrel chest, arms like most people's legs. Besides us two, there were a couple of elderly blokes who were going pretty slow but paced themselves and stuck at it all day long, which was great, plus a small procession of the first year girls who really weren't on the pace and could only hack it for short bursts before they went back to planting.

There was nothing else for it. I was buggered but I kept going. And going. And going. I didn't say anything, just stuck next to the redheaded rugby forward and decided I'd match him, hole for hole. He was half my age and near on twice my weight - I'm just a skinny old country type, plus he trained with rowing and boxing and lord knows what else, where I trained by sitting on my arse in the office drinking tea all day and (in those days) smoking. I matched him, hole for hole, the entire morning long. And then did it again all afternoon. You dig a hole, I dig a hole. I'm not stoppin 'till he does! Between the two of us, we kept the whole team busy planting.

Now I've swung a mattock all day many a time, not a problem. Pick a good steady pace, get into a rhythm, and stick to it. Let the weight of the tool do the work, that's the trick. But that's working at a sensible pace - this was going like a bloody steam train, going way too hard to keep it up. But we kept it up. I have never been so exhausted in my whole life as I was at the end of that day. Hell, even my redhaired rugby forward friend was completely buggered.

Over an ale afterwards, he told me that starting with the after lunch session, he really didn't think he was going to be able to sustain the pace. He was shot, but there was no-one else to do the job and he wasn't going to let an old bugger half his size go harder than he did, so he watched me out of the corner of his eye and forced himself to match me hole for hole. Meanwhile, I was watching him out of the corner of my eye and forcing my aching muscles to do just one more hole every time he did one more. I could barely walk at the end of it, and beer never tasted sweeter. I slept like the proverbial, woke up on the Sunday feeling like a train had run over me ... and went out to dig more holes. Thankfully, three or four extra male bodies turned up on the Sunday and with their help we could go at a normal pace.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:11 pm

swoop42 wrote:

^ One-line Post of the Century!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm still working on it.

Rewind, as a kid I was in a marching girls team that won several state titles, and a couple of gold at the Australian championships, but that's not hard, just training. Was nothing special at little athletics, or swimming, but didn't stop me entering every race I could all though school. In fact when I was in form 4, no one would go in the butterfly, so I put my hand up even though I didn't know how to do it. Three weeks later, I came second! Played a little netball, and basketball.
Wasn't very good at basketball, couldn't step. We played at the Collingwood town hall, we got smashed every game for 1.5 seasons by the biggest, roughest, tattoo queens around, and then one game finally, we just got it together, and just after 1/2 time, I took the ball out the centre, dribbled all the way to the end, and shot a great goal. Turned around to my best friend cacking herself laughing, and my then boyfriend/coach beet root red. Should have known then I was deaf. While I didn't hear them yelling at me , I did wonder why no one was defending me. Seems I ran the wrong way and shot a goal for the other team, which I now know, counts. The game was a draw!

I also rode trail bikes. A lot. Loved them. Then it was horses. Won the Victorian state bending title, that was really special. But so was my pony, who was actually stolen from the Knackery! I was pretty good on a horse, not the boring show stuff, novelty events, barrel racing, flag and barrel, even rescue relays! We had a fantastic teacher, he was an old fashioned stockman. We killed it at one state final, in a race where you had to do a relay, 6 in a team, gallop up to some stepping stones, jump off, run over the stones, get back on and gallop to the end. This guy taught us all to jump off while the horse was galloping, run over the steps keep going, and jump back on with the horse barely slowing down! Man I wish I had the home movies of that! (Dad lost them)

Started netball again, when my eldest joined a team at 7. I played a ladies comp during the day, and worked my way back to night time comp, and playing a grade centre and goal defence. That felt good. Til my knee went.

But something in me needs to compete. So I started doing new stuff at the gym, built up running distance, and speed. Then discovered weights. I love weights! And muscles. I track every work out session I do on my pc, and mark the good ones with an asterix!

I've always wanted to do the amazing race. So that got me on to obstacle racing. At the age of 48! I've done 2 colour runs, a warrior dash, 2 operation Blackhawks, and a 5klm stampede. This year I'm doing the 10klm stampede. Next week I'm doing the winter warrior challenge at lake mountain, 8klm running in the snow, up and down the mountain, with cargo net climbs and swamp crawls chucked in! I can't wait!

My sisters a two time Olympian, and 2 times commonwealth games veteran. She's been to many world championships, won multiple Australian championships in badminton. Man I'd just love to be that good at something.

I'm the plodder, the tryer, the Jarrod Blair of everything!

I've got my own gym room now, and in it are all my marching medals, my swimming ribbons, a shot put medal, all my pony club ribbons, my sashes are on the wall, a shit load of netball trophies, both as player and coach. My numbers from the obstacle races, and the finishing medallions! A big picture of me, my sister, and junior, taken at the first operation Blackhawks we did.

That's was bloody hard, and cold. That last Klm, both my sister and junior were done, and I made them run the last bit. We got to the vertical wall, it's about 5 metres high. They didn't want to do it. Bugger that, I did it. So did junior! We got to the last thing, one team member had to climb a five metre pole and ring a spanner on the top of it. Juniors hands were frozen, my sister was Knackered. They hoisted me up, I can't climb a pole. It took every last bit I had. When I rung that spanner on the pole, I swear, I felt like the king of the world.

I keep my last trophy as a netballer, centre. It's a runner up. The game was a draw, and we lost in over time. I was sitting on the side line with my fellow defender, both of us nursing our last ever netball injury. My knee went for the last time in the 2nd last game of the season. I cried like a baby. I knew I was done. I was 44. I also know if I was on the court we would have won.

My kids lost a semi they should have won, they just took it for granted, and knew they had the double chance. I took the trophy to training. I told them how I got that trophy, sitting on the side line, watching. I told them about my tears, and I cried again when I told them. One kid said why don't you throw it away? "Because when I want to quit, when it gets hard in the gym, when I'm tired, or sore, or something else is on my mind, I see that trophy there ,and remember how I felt when I knew I'd never play again. You never know when it's going to be over, when it's the last time. So make them all count. And I keep going. Every time." And some of them cried! And we made it to the grand final, and blew the game out the water!

What's my greatest physical achievement?

I'll let you know when I get there!

Last edited by think positive on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:58 pm
Post subject: Re: What's your greatest pyhsical achievment ?Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
I ask this as next month I'm travelling to the USA. Being a keen runner, I thought I'd see if any events work in with my travels. Heaps do ... the one I've entered is the Pier to Peak half marathon in Santa Barbara, often called the toughest half marathon in the world as it's a steady climb from sea level to over 4000ft at the finish. had to sign a waiver that included encounters with Bears or Mountain Lions are at my own risk Shocked should be a cracker.

So far for me it's finishing my first marathon last year, 3:59:16. Sore for days after the event.
Second would be the Great Western sand storm half marathon... 21.1ks in soft sand along Swanbourne beach ... gruelling event.
Third would be surfing waves as big as mountains in the shark infested waters of our south west, 30 years ago, too stupid to know any better.

What's yours?

I'm impressed, I don think I could do it, all those miles, I need things to distract me! Well done

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:59 pm

KenH wrote:
Finishing the Big M Melbourne marathon way back in the early 80's my time was similar to yours 3:48:20

I'm seeing those 80's commercials with all the boobie singlet girls! Good job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: