Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The danger with looking too far forward.....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm
Post subject: The danger with looking too far forward.....Reply with quote

Now I am the first to admit, while disappointed about the course this season has taken... I remain optimistic. I feel our age bracket, while young, shall mature and we will start to see (hopefully) some more competitive performances to emerge next season. With the asterisks "injuries". This to an extent, have no control over.... and here in lies the danger of saying "we shall peak in X year" it sets an expectation that things shall just fall into place.

A Bombers fan mate of mine actually summed it up well. He said that allot of Essendon supporter have the attitude that Win/Lose/or draw that once the ASADA issue is finally over and done with that the Bombers can get back to challenging for the flag...my mates concern (and i think it is justified) is that the Bombers are in the age bracket now to be challenging...(Stanton, Watson, Goddard, et,al) all at the peak of their respective powers. And that in reality by the time the ASADA fight is over...all of these players will be retiring.

My point, to bring this thread back to the Magpies, is this... some posters on here become exceptionally frustrated with how the club plays week to week (right, wrong or otherwise) without without perhaps stopping and remembering not only how difficult it is to win a Grand final, let alone make one. Hence, the frustration with missing opportunities like 2011. Similarly (and playing my own devils advocate) looking forward, and simply book marking a 'year' or a few 'years' in which we should be 'winning grand finals' is equally dangerous as it sets an expectation that we shall just click....which as injuries, player movements, form and other unforeseen circumstances will tell you, does not always go as expected.

Like I say, I am, as we like to coin on here one of the "glass half full" brigade. I guess by this post i am trying to articulate my thoughts to enjoy football sometimes for what it is...the good, the bad, and the alright. Without setting to much of an expectation..... i know this is easier said then done Very Happy .
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also a danger in looking too far back. why can't we be more like the machine of the 1920s i ask you?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 pm

John Wren wrote:
there is also a danger in looking too far back. why can't we be more like the machine of the 1920s i ask you?

The players would never allow 1920's hairstyles.

For some this season there bouffant seems more important than getting a kick.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 pm

In truth, it's only us fans who set up expectations for seasons ahead. Coaches and players only take it one week at a time, knowing that if they do that and win enough games the rest will look after itself. Every season, the coach and team, enter the season planning to do what is necessary to win the flag. Even now, while we are struggling to even make the 8, I expect our club is still trying to do all in its power to win the flag this year, not next! First we have to win 4 out of our remaining 5 games, then if we're in the final 8, we've got to win each week of the finals. It's all about taking it one week at a time. It may be a tiresome slogan, but it's the only approach to take.

Having said that, recruiters are probably the only ones who have to plan years ahead. They have to map the ever changing age and body type profile of our list and try to ensure we've always got good players coming through good and ready enough to replace aging stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: