Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Has the fox got your tongue Ed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:58 pm
Post subject: Has the fox got your tongue Ed?Reply with quote

Something that seems to have gone relatively unnoticed on these boards is that starting from last Sundays game we have 5 yes you heard that right 5 consecutive games on Foxtel.

That would have to be a record for the club would it not (and close to a league record as well?) in terms of consecutive games not to be shown on free to air television.

We have a total of 10 games on Foxtel this season which also must be the most ever for our club. Six of our last 7 games are on Foxtel.

In the not to distant past the man appointed to do what's in the best interests of our supporters and club the President Edward McGuire would have been up in arms about such a thing occurring.

Yet we haven't even heard a whimper from him about it so why not?

You can't help but feel that with Ed's role with Foxtel both as a commentator and I assume producer of content with his media company he has let what's best for McGuire the media personality get in the way of what's best for the supporters of the Collingwood football club.

While I'm sure equalisation has played a part in us not receiving as many free to air broadcasts as we once did, I'm just as equally convinced the Foxtel bottom line has dictated more Collingwood games be exclusive to them.

We've gone from having probably 16 or 17 free to air games 5 years ago to now just the 12 and worryingly who knows what the future holds when Ed seems to have a conflict of interest at play.

The bottom line is 5 consecutive games on Foxtel is a joke, especially so at the pointy end of the season.

Collingwood's traditional supporter base is built around working class people, the people least likely to be able to afford or justify a Foxtel subscription yet our President is conspicuously silent on the matter.

Not good enough Ed.

Last edited by swoop42 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Mentioned this on this thread on a poll about FTA & Fox:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=72753&start=75

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:20 am

"I had our fixture sitting on the coffee table for ages & didn't realise till my daughter pointed it out just how many games are on Fox this year & presumably not on FTA:

Round 5 North Melb
Round 10 West Coast
Round 14 Hawthorn
Round 16 GCS
Round 18 Adelaide
Round 19 Port Adelaide
Round 20 West Coast
Round 21 Brisbane
Round 22 GWS
Round 23 TBA

That's 9 possibly 10 games out of 22 (1 round is a bye) - nearly 50% on pay TV.

Damn awful

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 pm

Last year Carlton had 6 more FTA games than us iirc, it's obvious this "record" broadcast deal had more than a few winks and nods when it came to exclusive Collingwood games.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:36 pm

So it should be, if you want to be on FTA then play some decent footy. Collingwood is not a drawing team anymore, been playing shit footy for the last couple of seasons. The games are not important to any neutral as we are not a top 4 side and barely a top 8 side
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:42 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
So it should be, if you want to be on FTA then play some decent footy. Collingwood is not a drawing team anymore, been playing shit footy for the last couple of seasons. The games are not important to any neutral as we are not a top 4 side and barely a top 8 side

We played in a prelim in 2012 and got shafted for FTA a games in 2013, as I said Carlton had 6 more FTA games than us last year, and it's not like they were setting the world on fire, didn't even play finals in 2012 prior to the 2013 broadcast fixture being announced FFS.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Beast 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm sure this will play a part in our membership figures declining significantly next year.
But as long as the Club racking in Foxtel dollars everything is sweet, amirite?
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:52 pm

Beast wrote:
I'm sure this will play a part in our membership figures declining significantly next year.

THE AFL collectively get the TV rights money, not the individual clubs.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:54 pm

eddiesmith wrote:

I agree that it is a very poor state of affairs and is not acceptable. At he same time we are still one of the biggest watched clubs irrespective of our current position on the later. I think that the basis of your comment has little foundation.
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:01 pm

has anyone done a study on how Free to Air games affect attendance numbers? does this suggest why you would want more or less free to air games?
Beast 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Beast wrote:

THE AFL collectively get the TV rights money, not the individual clubs.

Maybe so but there has to be something in it for us for Ed to agree to such deal. I.e. limited exposure comes at a cost.
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:08 pm
Post subject: Re: Has the fox got your tongue Ed?Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:

Not good enough Ed.

Have to agree. I know Ed has to balance certain aspects of his life but Collingwood issues should come first when there is a conflict.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 pm

Ther foxtel games don't worry me, but I'm fkn sick of Sunday arvo games. I'm about finished for the year the way this bullshit is going
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm sure Foxtel games don't bother you if you have Foxtel but the majority of Collingwood supporters across the land wouldn't so it is topic worthy of discussion.

WPT started a thread about it in January, I'm starting one now seven months later and truth be told I doubt we've heard a peep about it from Ed and Co. in that time.

I'm getting red at Ed over it.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:10 pm

Good point,Swoop.I'm sure Essendon,Carlton,Hawthorn have never had five consecutive games on Foxtel,so i don't know why we have to put up with this.It's not as if we're a top side anymore,so i don't know why Foxtel has to have so many of our games.

And yes,Eddie does have a conflict of interest here,so that's why the silence from him is defeaning.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:12 pm

eddiesmith wrote:

It's the opposite actually. Foxtel want Collingwood games because they're a drawing team. Do you think they request St Kilda games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: