Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Highlights of Matty Scharanberg

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOTR 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
Thanks Dave! Great link.

Very good to see a package that isn't just highlights - any tool can look like a genius on a highlights reel. Nope: here we saw where he is up to: right out of it, slow, a bit lost, making a few mistakes, lacking touch. We also saw - when I say "we" I mean those with a few clues about the game - the talent underlying. First game at this level, boy against men, first game after a very, very long injury, but even so you could see the composure, the quick hands, the easy, economical style, the natural sense of unhurried positioning: he reminds me of Shane Morewood or Jimmy Clement or (amongst current players) Pendlebury.

No guarantee he'll be as good as any of those champions, of course, but it's easy to see why he went top 10 in the draft. I reckon he'll be our ultimate more-than-Maxwell replacement, a utility defender who can play small or tall, slip forward and take a mark, even go into the middle for a spell, but is best employed in that nameless in-between tallish-medium roaming role - not a KP tall, not a classic small, not a midfielder but a bit of each of these and it's a real and important role previously played by (among others) Goodes, Hird, Goddard, and Clement.

Excellent post. Only thing I'd like to add was that he looks like a team player. Looking to set up those around him and willing to work for the shephard.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
I was not having a go at Scharenberg, I was having a go at the video editor.

They are, in general, nowhere near selective enough.

If you can't round up enough footage without including 3 metre turnover kicks or that passage of play which he ran along with without participating, just can the video altogether.

Got a massive shove in the back at point of disposal so I'll forgive him for that. The point of including it was probably more about the evasion pre disposal rather than the resultant kick.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm

At this stage, I'm grateful for the video as evidence that he exists and has the requisite number of body parts to play AFL footy.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:41 pm

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2014-07-30/the-club-matthew-scharenberg
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
Thanks Dave! Great link.

Very good to see a package that isn't just highlights - any tool can look like a genius on a highlights reel. Nope: here we saw where he is up to: right out of it, slow, a bit lost, making a few mistakes, lacking touch. We also saw - when I say "we" I mean those with a few clues about the game - the talent underlying. First game at this level, boy against men, first game after a very, very long injury, but even so you could see the composure, the quick hands, the easy, economical style, the natural sense of unhurried positioning: he reminds me of Shane Morewood or Jimmy Clement or (amongst current players) Pendlebury.

No guarantee he'll be as good as any of those champions, of course, but it's easy to see why he went top 10 in the draft. I reckon he'll be our ultimate more-than-Maxwell replacement, a utility defender who can play small or tall, slip forward and take a mark, even go into the middle for a spell, but is best employed in that nameless in-between tallish-medium roaming role - not a KP tall, not a classic small, not a midfielder but a bit of each of these and it's a real and important role previously played by (among others) Goodes, Hird, Goddard, and Clement.

This! Smile

Excellent post Tannin and I agree with you on all the points you make. Scharenberg's going to be a great player but the kid needs a while to develop and to gain match fitness. I'm just relieved that he's playing in the VFL now considering I was worried he wouldn't play for the whole year which would have been detrimental to his development somewhat.

From what I've observed in the two VFL matches I've seen him play in so far is that he has great poise, he's a team-oriented players and he's great with the ball when he does have it in his hands. He's looked a bit rusty and lost at times but he'll adapt with the pace of the game as he plays more football in the reserves. He's a future star and got all the qualities to be a great leader of the future. Don't be surprised to see him captaining the club in a few years.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ps1H0JL28
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Tannin wrote:
Thanks Dave! Great link.

Add Hodge to that list.

Something about him isn't there? The Morwood comparison may be the most apt, but I wasn't lucky enough to see him when he was a pup

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ps1H0JL28

Thanks for sharing Dave

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Reminds me of Bontempelli a bit... Really quick hands
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:52 am

Has awesome balance and awareness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: