Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Not even the Age believes Andrews

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Nothing in this whole story reflects well on anyone.

Aged journo allegedly recording people without telling them. Not illegal but not highly ethical.

Politicians thinking they're having "off the record" conversations with a journo

Same Journo not following up to try to find the dictaphone when it was lost.

Security at the convention. The dictaphone apparently had a fairfax sticker on the back, wouldn't take a great deal of grey matter to check how many aged journos had been there.

labor for making the same dumb call. Instead of just contacting fairfax and saying "hey, we found a dictaphone, any of your people at the conference lose one?" which would have been easy, no they have to listen to it and copy the contents before (supposedly) destroying everything. Potentially illegal acts.

Andrews response. Geezus dude, you can't be that stupid. Man up and admit that it somehow got from Labor to a Lib email distribution group. It's not a hanging offence, the longer you dither around denying shit the longer this drags. man up, say sorry, move on.

Libs factions circulating the stuff around, not exactly high class actions.

All involved should hang their head with there actions.

I would have believed that recording people without their knowledge contravenes the privacy act. That's why you always get the recording on the phone that, this call is being recorded for training purposes, if you don't want this recorded, please advise.

She did bad.......

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:07 am

^

Different states, different legislation.

I'm not 100% but still reasonably sure that it's not illegal in Victoria to record a conversation without consent.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:06 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Different states, different legislation.

I'm not 100% but still reasonably sure that it's not illegal in Victoria to record a conversation without consent.

tried looking it up..... seems to be a grey area. I'd be mighty pissed off if someone recorded a conversation I was having with them without my consent.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:09 am

Generally in Australia it is legal to record a conversation only if you yourself are an active participant. This applies to in-person conversations. Telephone conversations come under different legislation, they cannot be recorded unless you notify the other party. (All from memory. Treat with appropriate caution.)

So there is no question of illegality here, just grossly unethical behaviour by the Age reporter, who now has a reputation in tatters. (Not that The Age will tell you that. They are standing there holding the ugly newborn baby, loudly pretending to be virgins.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:53 am

Tannin wrote:
Generally in Australia it is legal to record a conversation only if you yourself are an active participant. This applies to in-person conversations. Telephone conversations come under different legislation, they cannot be recorded unless you notify the other party. (All from memory. Treat with appropriate caution.)

So there is no question of illegality here, just grossly unethical behaviour by the Age reporter, who now has a reputation in tatters. (Not that The Age will tell you that. They are standing there holding the ugly newborn baby, loudly pretending to be virgins.)

Had a situation last year at a workplace that was refusing to pay a group of us going through training and one of the girls recorded the meeting. She then used the transcript to get fair-work involved. All legal!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:25 am

Sounds fair to me, 1061. As I understand it - I'm not a lawyer and I'm relying on memory here, so take with salt - if you record a conversation between (say) me and Stui, that's illegal unless we have been informed and have consented. But if it's a three-way conversation which you contribute to, you are perfectly entitled to record it, and you don't even have to tell anyone you are doing it. But it's different with telephones.

Back to the Age thing: the reporter hasn't broken any laws, just comprehensively smashed up her own career prospects, while the Age itself has done nothing worse than fairly comprehensively bugger up its reputation for honesty, probity and fairness. The Age has dealt with this every bit as badly as the Murdoch rags would have done, and that's harsh criticism indeed.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Relevant legislation isn't the Privacy act, it's the Surveillance Devices Act 1999 (Vic).

It's legal to record a conversation that you are party to without the other parties consent, but there are serious restrictions on what you can do with it.

Here's a bit of a write up. http://www.employmentlawonline.com.au/question3-2/

Recording a conversation that you are not a part to, ie by bugging someone or leaving your phone on the desk recording after you walk out, not so simple.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:49 pm

Good link, Stui.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: