Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MyGov - privacy and the government

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:14 pm
Post subject: MyGov - privacy and the governmentReply with quote

I went on line to download Etax so I can do my tax return and found they have it a bit different this year. Raher than download etax, there's a (supposedly) more simple one called My tax, but to use it you have to create a my gov account. So in I went.

I created the Mygov account and then linked it to my ATO data, Medicare and while I was at it signed up for the Personally Controlled Electronic Health Record and linked that too.

As I was doing it, the thought crossed my mind that there are people out there who really get jittery at the government having details on them and who would probably shy right away from this scenario. Personally I don't care. If you've ever used eTax to do your tax return it's pretty clear how much info the government already has on you just linked to your Tax File No. So linking in the health data doesn't bother me.

So I'm curious. What are people's thoughts about this? It would be nice if we can keep party politics out of it, the PCEHR was a Labor initiative (from memory) and the rest of it looks like an evolution, so it's about the principles rather than which party is in power.

So you like it?
Already signed up?
About to sign up now you know about it?
Hate the idea, don't like the government knowing anything
Don't care?

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those who rant and rave about it are naive. It's been obvious to me for years just how much the Government knows about us all linked via our TFN.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 pm

i've been signed up to it for awhile, and have everything linked. Have even got a medicare refund through it.

The only gripe I have is they give you the Log In name ID whatever............ that's a hard one to remember.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Did our BAS on line today, was confused about something, rang my tax agent, she checked on line some details re PAYG, got the answer straight away! They know everything already! When I get our tax done, they always come back with "but your tax account says this" about something. I'd love to do it all on line! I do everything I can on line. Hands up who's nearly finished their Christmas shopping!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
i've been signed up to it for awhile, and have everything linked. Have even got a medicare refund through it.

The only gripe I have is they give you the Log In name ID whatever............ that's a hard one to remember.

Use a password manager, print it out, and put somewhere safe.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:57 pm

think positive wrote:
Did our BAS on line today, was confused about something, rang my tax agent, she checked on line some details re PAYG, got the answer straight away! They know everything already! When I get our tax done, they always come back with "but your tax account says this" about something. I'd love to do it all on line! I do everything I can on line. Hands up who's nearly finished their Christmas shopping!
Where did you get it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 pm

HAL wrote:
think positive wrote:
Where did you get it?

From tinhead to baghead

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Doesn't really bother me either. Although my Orwellian radar perks up when I read about a universal government ID, the fact is it makes little difference. They already have access to Centrelink details, tax records, educational history and so on. I don't necessarily see that as sinister, although I guess I can see how it could be misused by some future tyranny. Anyway, the horse has bolted.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:36 am

I'm signed up and have everything linked. I have no issue with it.

I'm much more insulted when the Foxtel call centre ask me for my date of birth to confirm my identity. Why should they need that?

#SIDEBYSIDE
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:50 pm

i have no problems with it. in fact, it makes dealing with them easier. the stupid thing is their ID naming convention. It is not user friendly or meanigful so every time I use MyGov I have to tequest to retrieve it.

One "front door" for all govt services is a good thing. we are well behind the likes of canada and nz when it comes to online access to the govt services.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Interesting. I'd expected at least someone to arc up a bit.

Apathetic Aussies; knowing a good thing like JW said; or recognising that the horse has bolted like David said?

For mine a little of each.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Apathetic Aussies; knowing a good thing like JW said; or recognising that the horse has bolted like David said?

For mine a little of each.

The minds have been dulled by years of fluoridation.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Haven't seen anything to comment on yet. Not having a go at you here, Stui, but nothing much to say here. I've had a government login account for about 15 years 'coz I need it to do my GST returns. Nothing much there has changed.

I don't have any medicare account (that I know about) 'coz I don't go to the doctor unless (a) I'm sick, and (b) I reckon the doctor might be able to do something about it other than tell me to rest until it gets better, and (c) I can bear the thought of sitting in a waiting room getting slobbered over by screaming kids and breathed at and coughed on by tubercular adults 'till I'm really sick.

So when I get crook, I think about (a), and (b), and especially (c) and decide to wait a few days and see if I get better first. If I'm not better by then, I wait a few more days. Besides, every time I ask for an appointment with my regular doctor, the receptionist gets confused and after a while figures it out and explains that Dr X retired 5 years ago and would I like to see Dr Y instead? By the time I go back the next time, Dr Y has retired. And so on.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Haven't seen anything to comment on yet. Not having a go at you here, Stui, but nothing much to say here. I've had a government login account for about 15 years 'coz I need it to do my GST returns. Nothing much there has changed.

I don't have any medicare account (that I know about) 'coz I don't go to the doctor unless (a) I'm sick, and (b) I reckon the doctor might be able to do something about it other than tell me to rest until it gets better, and (c) I can bear the thought of sitting in a waiting room getting slobbered over by screaming kids and breathed at and coughed on by tubercular adults 'till I'm really sick.

So when I get crook, I think about (a), and (b), and especially (c) and decide to wait a few days and see if I get better first. If I'm not better by then, I wait a few more days. Besides, every time I ask for an appointment with my regular doctor, the receptionist gets confused and after a while figures it out and explains that Dr X retired 5 years ago and would I like to see Dr Y instead? By the time I go back the next time, Dr Y has retired. And so on.

Hey, I get you but some bad news knackers. At your age you should be getting in there regular. Lots of stuff could be going on that give no outward signs, so i get in at least every 6 months.

Get the moon River exam then you can get away with the bloods for a few years for regular checks, make sure the BP is ok, sugar etc. Plenty of people over 40 feel good as gold right up until they drop dead.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 pm

mandy wrote:
I'm signed up and have everything linked. I have no issue with it.

I'm much more insulted when the Foxtel call centre ask me for my date of birth to confirm my identity. Why should they need that?

To verify that it's not me on the phone pretending to be you.

But it's not that effective really. The banks are cottoning on to better practices - RAMS, for example, send a secret code to you via SMS and won't process your transactions unless you receive it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: