Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

50 game players

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:22 pm
Post subject: 50 game playersReply with quote

Quote:
Just 10 of the 22 who played off against Geelong [2011] remain on the books. And just six of those were fronting up against Adelaide on Sunday.

Indeed, Collingwood hasn’t fielded many less experienced sides in its modern history than that which took the field against the Crows. No fewer than 10 players for the Pies still have less than 50 senior games to their names.

That’s more than even the Western Bulldogs, a team viewed as a classic example of a side rebuilding upon youth, played in their last game against Essendon.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-conundrum-time-is-in-short-supply-when-you-are-a-magpie-20140728-zxlma.html#ixzz38jlguyfN

i think, herein, these two statements outline why we are where we are at. we are very youthful.

inexperience is going to take its toll at some point. reasonably, you can expect them to tire in the back half of the season. it is a steep learning curve for many of our young guys, particularly for the newcomers; they're in a new environment, adapting to a new lifestyle, new regimen, game plan, professionalism and external pressures.

i'll be disappointed if we do not make finals - i think we still can - but i will be far from devastated if we bomb. sometimes shit just don't happen like we want it to.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair post
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Balanced and realistic where people need to judge us by. problem is we are Collingwood and we sell papers!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:52 pm
Post subject: Re: 50 game playersReply with quote

John Wren wrote:
Quote:
Just 10 of the 22 who played off against Geelong [2011] remain on the books. And just six of those were fronting up against Adelaide on Sunday.

Indeed, Collingwood hasn’t fielded many less experienced sides in its modern history than that which took the field against the Crows. No fewer than 10 players for the Pies still have less than 50 senior games to their names.

That’s more than even the Western Bulldogs, a team viewed as a classic example of a side rebuilding upon youth, played in their last game against Essendon.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-conundrum-time-is-in-short-supply-when-you-are-a-magpie-20140728-zxlma.html#ixzz38jlguyfN

i think, herein, these two statements outline why we are where we are at. we are very youthful.

inexperience is going to take its toll at some point. reasonably, you can expect them to tire in the back half of the season. it is a steep learning curve for many of our young guys, particularly for the newcomers; they're in a new environment, adapting to a new lifestyle, new regimen, game plan, professionalism and external pressures.

i'll be disappointed if we do not make finals - i think we still can - but i will be far from devastated if we bomb. sometimes shit just don't happen like we want it to.

Brilliant post.

If ONLY the bloody "perceptive fellow" can comprehend such logic and plain intelligence..... Rolling Eyes
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:35 pm

John Wren wrote:
Quote:

Been saying exactly this since the preseason JW. Predicted 4-10 depending upon how the kids develop in support of established senior players. Sadly we've been smashed by injuries to both our established senior players and the next tier you'd be assuming would take their places.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:39 pm

jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Quote:

Been saying exactly this since the preseason JW. Predicted 4-10 depending upon how the kids develop in support of established senior players. Sadly we've been smashed by injuries to both our established senior players and the next tier you'd be assuming would take their places.

indeed you have. in an ideal world our senior guys would have stood up all year which would have allowed us to cycle through/progressively integrate the young guys, rest some of the next tier while also creating competitive pressure in the vfl.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 pm

A little bit of perspective can be a scary thing.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Our streak of 8 consecutive finals appearances is currently the best out of all the other sides in the comp.

If we miss the finals this year, it is not the end of the world.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:24 pm

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Quote:

indeed you have. in an ideal world our senior guys would have stood up all year which would have allowed us to cycle through/progressively integrate the young guys, rest some of the next tier while also creating competitive pressure in the vfl.

Utopia! Wink
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Our streak of 8 consecutive finals appearances is currently the best out of all the other sides in the comp.

No, but it is the end of the streak Wink.

I think, even considering injuries, we've been disappointing the past two years. We're not in a terrible position, but we do have a couple of holes in the immediate term, especially in the ruck and potentially in the midfield. The question will be whether we build for the medium term, or look to fill these holes in the off-season. I'm expecting the latter, but I get the feeling we'll need to pick our hole, we won't be able to fill them all as we were in 2009/2010.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:32 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

No, but it is the end of the streak Wink.

I think, even considering injuries, we've been disappointing the past two years. We're not in a terrible position, but we do have a couple of holes in the immediate term, especially in the ruck and potentially in the midfield. The question will be whether we build for the medium term, or look to fill these holes in the off-season. I'm expecting the latter, but I get the feeling we'll need to pick our hole, we won't be able to fill them all as we were in 2009/2010.

I disagree with one point, since the latter stages of 2011 we've had a incredibly horrendous run with injuries and have actually done quite well in light of that. I think we all tend to forget that we've lost entire seasons (or as good as) to Ball, McCaffer, Krakouer, Dale Thomas (effectively two), Nathan Brown, Lynch, Reid, Keefe, Fasolo, Toovey, Marley Williams and Sinclair as well as extended periods without Maxwell, Swan, Jolly, Didak, Johnson, Tarrant, Lumumba etc, etc, etc.

Our on field performances, despite the injuries, has been a credit to us I think.
Mr. Burns 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:49 am

John Wren wrote:
Quote:

Brilliant post.

Lets see how other teams who have been decimated by injuries and have an inexperienced side cope.

It is no wonder our backline is suffering with the amount of inexperienced players in the side and with a few of our leaders out.

We will be looking back at 2014 in a couple of years saying it was the year we had to have.

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:25 am

John Wren wrote:
Quote:

This misses the point....

It's not the young and inexperienced players that are the problem or cause of frustration. It's the senior or premiership players who can't seem to hit a target or stay on their man that is the biggest issue.

Blair, Goldsack, Lumumba, Toovey, Swan and Cloke to an extent have been very poor this year.
Sidebottom and Caff has been up and down.
Maxwell, Pendles, Beams very good when they've played.
White as an experienced recruit has been very poor whilst a premiership player in Young has been ok but dropped and absolute sitter that could've won the game against GCS.

That's all before we even talk about the young and inexperienced players.

I'm sick of this "we have the youngest this and that"....it's our core players that have been utterly disappointing.

Most of the youngsters can kick better than so called senior players, therein lies the problem.

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:26 am

John Wren wrote:
Quote:

This misses the point....

It's not the young and inexperienced players that are the problem or cause of frustration. It's the senior or premiership players who can't seem to hit a target or stay on their man that is the biggest issue.

Blair, Goldsack, Lumumba, Toovey, Swan and Cloke to an extent have been very poor this year.
Sidebottom and Caff has been up and down.
Maxwell, Pendles, Beams very good when they've played.
White as an experienced recruit has been very poor whilst a premiership player in Young has been ok but dropped and absolute sitter that could've won the game against GCS.

That's all before we even talk about the young and inexperienced players.

I'm sick of this "we have the youngest this and that"....it's our core players that have been utterly disappointing.

Most of the youngsters can kick better than so called senior players, therein lies the problem.

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:28 am

Sorry for the accidental triple post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: