Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PLEASE get rid of the stupid "loud-o-meter"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's an ad for Holden. Holden gave the club money and now the club has to mention Holden as often as possible. It has nothing to do with entertaining the crowd. That's why they aren't going to stop just because nobody likes it.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:17 pm

Andrew17 wrote:
It would be good to give them suggestions as to what would make a good day at the football (apart from us thumping a team by 100 points with a 10 goal third quarter).

It's pretty obvious that the marketing people at Collingwood/AFL are lazy and copycats to boot. They get their job, go overseas, watch the baseball, watch the EPL, watch the basketball and then bring their rubbish culture and enforce it on us.

What would make a Collingwood home game different to a Collingwood away game at the MCG?

This is what I think should happen at our home games.

Get rid of music leading up to the bounce of the ball - don't need it, it's a rubbish idea. I want to soak in the players manning up or focus on a bit of push and shove and scream at that rather than have rap or heavy metal blaring at me.
I've also been bleating about this for a few years. Agree 100%

Paul Lazer - He MCs every game at the MCG, he doesn't barrack for Collingwood - go away. For our home games I'd replace him with someone who barracks for Collingwood. I think Darren James would be good and it would be traditional because his dad was the voice announcer at Victoria Park.
Even that fella Glen Moriarty would be a good option. He does a fantastic job at the School Holiday footy clinics.

Ads after a goal - sure, have a Holden ad after the goal with a logo flashing in the corner as we replay our goal for the sixth time on the big screen. No o-meters, no fake crowd noise.

Introduce a free mini-record/magazine made by the club for every home game. It would have players names, numbers, nicknames where they came from, a section to mark the score, a puzzle section for the kiddies, etc, and every second page can be an ad for our sponsors. We get something free and entertaining and the sponsors get their ads. It can even be published in black and white to save production costs.
Sensational idea!! The young people employed to hand out sponsored "clappers" or "WHAT A GOAL signs" could hand out these Collingwood Footy records instead.

A presidential state of the round address. Would it be hard for Eddie to record a two minute speech where he welcomes you to the Collingwood home game, revs up the supporters, turns red from shouting and all the time he is standing in front of a podium with... our sponsors logos on it. Most of our supporters would like him, most supporters from other clubs hate him, so why not play on it even more. You would know it's a home game then.

An interview with a player whilst the players are warming up. For those of us old enough to remember, think Mike Williamson, in the foyer of VFL Park members, interviewing a player standing with his bag and kids, about to go into the rooms and get changed. Film it in sepia to make it like the old VFL park scoreboard.

There's got to be more stuff like this.

In my opinion all of these ideas are more subtle than what happens now, are more traditional and will keep the uniqueness of the game, and at the same time give our sponsors fair promotion.

Quality Andrew17, dead-set quality.

We have identified some problems, and suggested some viable solutions rather than just complaining.

Over to you Collingwood Football Club...........

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Am changing season ticket from afl to soccer next year. Afl = waste of money and can't even yell go pies without the Spanish Inquisition. "perceptive fellow" signing off
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:48 am

Well according to Caroline Wilson the Loud-o-meter is just the beginning. Flashy gimmicks are in vogue.

Quote:
Some Melbourne clubs believe the Adelaide Oval has shown up the MCG and Etihad this season, with the Crows' and Port Adelaide's home games complemented by light and laser shows radiating the home team's colours across the ground, live music and, in Port's case, a fan march to each home game accompanied by themed music. Switches in momentum during games and home team goals are reflected on the highly parochial scoreboards.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-moves-to-win-back-fans-20140730-3cumg.html#ixzz38z033sra
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:04 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
Well according to Caroline Wilson the Loud-o-meter is just the beginning. Flashy gimmicks are in vogue.

Quote:
Some Melbourne clubs believe the Adelaide Oval has shown up the MCG and Etihad this season, with the Crows' and Port Adelaide's home games complemented by light and laser shows radiating the home team's colours across the ground, live music and, in Port's case, a fan march to each home game accompanied by themed music. Switches in momentum during games and home team goals are reflected on the highly parochial scoreboards.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-moves-to-win-back-fans-20140730-3cumg.html#ixzz38z033sra

The bogans of Adelaide might lap it up but supporters of traditional VFL clubs in the heartland of a more cultured Melbourne certainly don't.

If the club keep this crap up I hope our attendances and membership numbers decline with each year until they wake up to the fact that we don't want it.

Looks like the AFL certainly don't get it even with a changing of the guard.

merolz 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:40 pm

I’m glad this issue is being tossed around

I HATE the current game day experience. While some significant irritants have been around a while (constant ad barrage, kiss/hug cams, an announcer whose job it is to destroy the vocal atmosphere of the crowd with no substance), the offensiveness of the weekend’s Loud-o-Meter has left me considering whether I will attend another game.

Did anyone notice that Loud-o-Meter recording includes the taped sound of genuine crowd cheering, along with the drumbeat and screeching car engine noise? A cheer track, like a laugh track in a staged sitcom. That felt about right as I couldn’t help but feel the club was having a laugh at us – idiots who have paid their way into the ground, have sucked down a stack of ads for the privilege and are now a captive audience to the lamest / most offensive marketing techniques modern sport can offer. BTW – if you buy a Holden you are contributing to this ‘innovation’

The truth is I probably will go to a few more games but only for my son. If I was deciding for myself only I’d most certainly find another way to spend my time. No wonder the crowd numbers are way down

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Big T wrote:
Am changing season ticket from afl to soccer next year. Afl = waste of money and can't even yell go pies without the Spanish Inquisition. "perceptive fellow" signing off

Yep, I was actually asked to be quiet at a game a few seasons ago by the person sitting next to me because my barracking was 'hurting her ears'. No swearing, just yelling 'Go Pies' .
Next game I brought along earplugs and gave them to her.

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:49 pm

The whole point is our "genius" marketing people have been to the NBA and decided to import to the AFL

Having been to an NBA game where there's a break to cheer on your cartoon bagel against a cartoon cup of coffee and a cartoon bottle water, that emphatically doesn't work in Australia

Part of our appeal here has always been the crowd get to build naturally and react naturally. Our "Collingwood" chant of 2010 would have been REAL impressive backed by a Loud-O-Meter... Rolling Eyes

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:22 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eddie-mcguire-2015-to-be-year-of-the-fan-20140730-zyocs.html

Ok Ed we're telling you what we want now listen!

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:08 am

I still have to read this whole thread but interestingly enough - it isn't just us!

Reading the comments on Caro's article in the Age yesterday - majority of comments were from supporters who were let down by match day experience and ads etc.

You go with friends or want to catch up with people and you can't do either as it is so noisy during half time etc - everything is blaring loud and ads, ads, ads and stupid voiceovers of people who just like the sound of their own voice.

The only one I remember for years ago is the jingle for "We put the U in CGU.." There is no need for blaring music/noise at football games apart for crowd noise.

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:14 am

Attn. Marketing Dept.

Natural crowd noise -

http://youtu.be/JoTaUXM-kPM

Get it?

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 am

glenn moriarty does the collingwood games. we rarely get pete lazar or james sherry.

i have had enough of the bombardment of just utter shite that the boffins call "game day entertainment" or "game day experience". it is sensory overload and starting to become a real turn off.

all i want for a game day experience is for whichever ground we play home games at to feel like our home ground. if other clubs can do it why can't ours?

themaster 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am

After reading these articles in the paper, I came onto Nicks to start a thread about the load o meter.

Gladly I am way behind.

All this did was stop us cheering a goal to say "wtf!?". It is mind-bogglingly stupid and I truly hope that any contract you have to put this on the screen is ripped up before Sunday.

In tossing up whether I can be bothered any more, if this crap is kept on the screen I think it will be an easy decision.

Ed, what Swoop said. I really hope you're listening.

PS. My kids hated it too.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:51 pm

swoop42 wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eddie-mcguire-2015-to-be-year-of-the-fan-20140730-zyocs.html

Ok Ed we're telling you what we want now listen!

Before I say anything else that was an excellent letter you wrote Swoop. I thoroughly agree with your points and enjoyed reading it knowing that I'm not the only one frustrated with this manufacturing crowd noise that we have at our home games. It's bordering on ridiculous and insulting now.

In regards to the article I like what Eddie is saying here but every year should be the 'year of the fan'. Without the fans, the game wouldn't be half as good as it is now.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:57 pm

At last nights North Melbourne and Geelong game they showed vision of the loud-o-meter there and it really did look lame. The Kiss Cam thing I saw at the Pies/Eagles game also is annoying and not AFL, it's not something I like at any sport tbh.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: