Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do Collingwood fans support a shorter season?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you support a shorter regular season?
YES
46%
 46%  [ 25 ]
NO
44%
 44%  [ 24 ]
ANOTHER IDEA
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 54

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
rand corp wrote:
I'm all for anything that can sort out the unfair draw we currently have

The ONLY fair method is to play each team twice (home and away) as with the old VFL comp draw. Get rid of the NAB cup games and make it a long season like the EPL, just with one bye during the season for each team.
However this is never likely to happen, therefore we will never have a fair draw............ Rolling Eyes

Actually if we got rid of St.Kilda, North, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne, we'd be down to a 14 team league and likely could play every game twice (or close enough to twice that it wouldn't likely matter). if we were serious, we might even shut down Richmond and Carlton while we are at it.

Would anyone really notice or care if these 4-6 teams vanished? I mean we'd have to shut down a few "laugh at..." threads, but otherwise, I'm not sure it would make a difference.....

we might be able to improve the quality of the footy as well.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:32 am

collie dog wrote:
Lazza wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
All I want is an even fixture.

So I'd support 17 rounds and then finals.

Wouldn't this make the season too short for the AFL, especially when they are already starting to lose crowds at games?

I've already explained the perfect solution. 10 teams get a short season and the deserving final eight get to play an extended finals series. Instead of being eliminated after one lousy final, each team gets to play at least three finals in the round robin format. Then the Prelim and then the Grand Final for the two successful teams.

That's best of both worlds. A shorter season for Hardwick and his mediocres and a longer and more testing finals series for the good teams.

yes it sounds perfectly sensible to play an entire season and then play another mini season thereby rendering the entire season a complete and total waste of effort. Why strive to finish first when 8th gets you to exactly the same spot.

I believe if you look back through history you will find that this silly round robin middle final system of yours was used in the 1900s. In 115 years since then through multiple changes in systems, the one thing everyone agrees on is that the system you are talking about is dumb!

The reason it works in the world cup is because the teams cant have a regular season as its a compressed competition.

Since we have a regular season, I think I'm in favor of it actually meaning something.

I like the idea that the best 4 teams get a fair shot at winning the flag. I also like the idea that the next 4 have a nearly impossible shot, but still a shot, since there might be a circumstance where a team is coming from a long way back but hit their straps in September (it also makes the finals available to more teams and therefore more teams are interested).

and by the way, I am not sure winning the grand final from 5th is as impossible as everyone says. The reason it doesn't happen is because the best teams have tended to find themselves in the top 4.

I wonder what people think might happen if the final 8 was as follows:

Collingwood
Essendon
North
Port
Hawthorn
Freo
Geelong
Sydney

I bet people would very much believe that a team outside the top 4 would win it and they probably would.

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:34 pm

I'd be willing willing to sacrifice the length of the season if it meant the damn fixture would be fair.

As many have said though, can't see it happening.

Last edited by King Malta on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Do you mean your name is many said can't see it happening ?
M@®© Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:30 pm

What ever way they decide to go on with the draw, it should be made that if you play an interstate side once during the year and its away, the next time you play them should be at home.....Its stupid that some teams continually play the same opponent away year after year.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:42 pm

M@®© wrote:
What ever way they decide to go on with the draw, it should be made that if you play an interstate side once during the year and its away, the next time you play them should be at home.....Its stupid that some teams continually play the same opponent away year after year.

Stupid is very charitable I reckon.

I'd go with rigged, biased, unscrupulous, immoral, disgusting, reprehensible - something of that order.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 pm

uncanny wrote:

play 17 games for home and away over 22 weeks

Geez, I can't stand two byes as it is! Shocked

The EPL players seem to manage over 40 games a season no worries. Of course no one plays all 40, since clubs use their squads creatively.

I can tell you this much, I am looking forward to watching as much EPL, La Liga and Champions League on TV, not to mention the A-League. If AFL shortens its presence on the world sporting stage it will further accelerate its demise.

Manchester U Fixture.jpg

Here's Man U's fixture. That's 38 Premier League matches, not to mention FA Cup and League Cup. This year they don't have to play in Europe, but that would have added quite a few more games if they did. And they manage it. It's what they are paid for.

Holbrook Bloke Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm

The writing is on the wall for a shorter season so think it will happen sometime down the track. Playing each other once seems the logical draw and stick a couple of state of origin games in to revive the concept. At least all the nuff nuffs won't be able to say we never play interstate.

Camelia Grove Hotel - The best AFL pub in Sydney all season, not just the finals.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Yeah, lets start but axing Sunday twilight games.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:01 am

No. Keep it at 22 games.

Only difference is you play for 4 points only against each side. Hence for the team you play twice, it is 2 points per game for the win.

At least it means there is no advantage if you play the bottom sides more often( except for %).
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:33 am

I support a season where we win the GF, no matter how many weeks Smile
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:35 am

Smile Interesting gossip.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:12 am

Yes, indeed. Interesting.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:02 pm

All these suggestions are interesting, but the fact is unless you have every team playing each other twice you'll always have complaints about unfairness. And I don't think a 34-round season is exactly on the table right now.

I think the latest initiative is a good one, where the draw (and who you play twice) is partially determined by the previous year's finishing positions. It's far from perfect, but it's not that bad.

Yaban 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:32 pm

It is always the teams that are doing crap that want a shorter season. In 2010/2011 I would have been happy to add 3 months to the season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: