Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies are still a chance in a year of upsets

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:16 am
Post subject: Re: YesReply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
^ I don't think Member was mate, he was just saying Lennon stood up for the beliefs of King, and black Americans in general, civil rights, and because of that, and his peace beliefs and protests, the FBI had a very extensive file on him, right up to his tragic death. You really do seem to look for controversy and innuendo in others opinions, your entitled to your view, as are we.

The mind boggles Piesnchess, the mind boggles!! Shocked

I do wonder with young people sometimes if it is just an ill informed view due to a lack of proper education or if this is actually the exact type of thinking that will lead us into the future..... Rolling Eyes

Thank goodness thay my two teenage kids share vastly different views to Defender on people like Lennon, MLK and others of that ilk......... Cool

Lennon was a self confessed wife beater who was violent towards women even in the early days, you seem to be doing a very good job raising your teenage children, such values.

Lennon is the poster boy for do as I say, not as I do, he wrote Imagine from his penthouse suite at the ritz FFS.

Oh that's a bit harsh. But he did dodge military service that's why his music is banned in our household. He wrote anti military music as well. Disgrace. I would much rather listen to Captain Glenn Miller than those military hating musicians.

Defender, Lennon did have an alcohol and drug abuse problem, not denying that, which led to some irrational behaviour,but the good he did, far outweighed the bad. And as for Hiss, give me his music anyday, and his peace songs, over military music anytime. and I hasten to add that my late dad, a six yr WW2 veteran, Lieutenant, was a big fan of his music too, he liked his peace stuff. Cool Cool

Lennon made himself a puppet for all that was considered bad in the world by the hippy generation, and the power hippies embraced him as they knew he had a massive soap box, but he never practiced what he preached, far from it, and he made dead sure the cameras were rolling whilst he was spreading his self inflated greatness.

IMO the man was a pig who was obsessed with his own self worth.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

And Hiss, if you need a draft to gain numbers for a war, the war isn't yours.

You like this.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 am

There are many famous people who have committed acts of physical abuse but never told anyone about it. Lennon, on the other hand, was prepared to let the world know what he had done and the shame he felt for it by not only mentioning it in interviews but writing about it in his music:

"I used to be cruel to my woman/I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved" (The Beatles, "Getting Better")

While obviously it's far better not to abuse people in the first place and perhaps cold comfort to his victims, I think there is something admirable about that level of honesty. Of course, perhaps domestic violence didn't carry the same stigma back then that it does now, but it still made him look like a total twat and that's a brave thing to do of one's own accord. Whatever the case, this is a good lesson in recognising that your heroes are almost always flawed individuals. If you think your music/movie/art/football hero is not only good at what he or she does but also a saint off the field, you're almost certainly deluded.

(When it comes to his music, however, I find most of Lennon's solo stuff pretty lame and "Imagine" is way too Myer greeting-card aisle for my liking. He did some good stuff for the Beatles, granted, but he wasn't $$%^%%$ Beethoven.)

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:27 am

David wrote:
There are many famous people who have committed acts of physical abuse but never told anyone about it. Lennon, on the other hand, was prepared to let the world know what he had done and the shame he felt for it by not only mentioning it in interviews but writing about it in his music:

"I used to be cruel to my woman/I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved" (The Beatles, "Getting Better")

While obviously it's far better not to abuse people in the first place and perhaps cold comfort to his victims, I think there is something admirable about that level of honesty. Of course, perhaps domestic violence didn't carry the same stigma back then that it does now, but it still made him look like a total twat and that's a brave thing to do of one's own accord. Whatever the case, this is a good lesson in recognising that your heroes are almost always flawed individuals. If you think your music/movie/art/football hero is not only good at what he or she does but also a saint off the field, you're almost certainly deluded.

(When it comes to his music, however, I find most of Lennon's solo stuff pretty lame and "Imagine" is way too Myer greeting-card aisle for my liking. He did some good stuff for the Beatles, granted, but he wasn't $$%^%%$ Beethoven.)

Anything for a headline mate, fact is the man was a massive hypocrite, but apparently my values are flawed according to Lazza.

And David, there's also many famous people who didn't beat up on women, I can't imagine the stress of having no money issues, must be tough, how do you preach peace on one hand and beat your wife with the other?

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:46 am

I've seen footage of him in army greens, imagine actually fighting and losing mates in the Vietnam war and seeing him don the uniform whilst denouncing what it stood for, and people wonder why someone blew him away, his intensions may have been good in wearing it, but ****, you don't do that.

Know this mate, the clock is ticking, give 50 years and the world will be $%$ed, we're moving to fast.

You like this.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:36 am

Yep we are still a chance, as long as we drop some decent players back to the VFL, we may pull off the VFL premiership.

Anyone who thinks we are even a remote chance in the AFL is clearly on more drugs than Harry Labamba or whatever the fck his name is this week.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:04 am

Not happy with the Big H Big T?

We are a chance - it may be remote - but we are still a chance right now... sorry T that is just how it is. Lose this week and I would suggest playing more kids and give this season (any chance of a flag) away.

Things can turn - the weak can become mighty - look at the rise of the Chinese economy... a country of peasant farmers now making the stuff the materialist west needs to keep the bubble growing.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Defender wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
^ I don't think Member was mate, he was just saying Lennon stood up for the beliefs of King, and black Americans in general, civil rights, and because of that, and his peace beliefs and protests, the FBI had a very extensive file on him, right up to his tragic death. You really do seem to look for controversy and innuendo in others opinions, your entitled to your view, as are we.

I do wonder with young people sometimes if it is just an ill informed view due to a lack of proper education or if this is actually the exact type of thinking that will lead us into the future..... Rolling Eyes

Thank goodness thay my two teenage kids share vastly different views to Defender on people like Lennon, MLK and others of that ilk......... Cool

Lennon was a self confessed wife beater who was violent towards women even in the early days, you seem to be doing a very good job raising your teenage children, such values.

Lennon is the poster boy for do as I say, not as I do, he wrote Imagine from his penthouse suite at the ritz FFS.

Oh that's a bit harsh. But he did dodge military service that's why his music is banned in our household. He wrote anti military music as well. Disgrace. I would much rather listen to Captain Glenn Miller than those military hating musicians.

Defender, Lennon did have an alcohol and drug abuse problem, not denying that, which led to some irrational behaviour,but the good he did, far outweighed the bad. And as for Hiss, give me his music anyday, and his peace songs, over military music anytime. and I hasten to add that my late dad, a six yr WW2 veteran, Lieutenant, was a big fan of his music too, he liked his peace stuff. Cool Cool

Lennon made himself a puppet for all that was considered bad in the world by the hippy generation, and the power hippies embraced him as they knew he had a massive soap box, but he never practiced what he preached, far from it, and he made dead sure the cameras were rolling whilst he was spreading his self inflated greatness.

Well genius, he did march in many, many peace demos, and he did have a huge file with the FBI, thanks to his outspokenness and frankness, his leftist peace views, and by the way, the cameras rolled too everytime King made a speech, did he make dead sure too, I reckon his Kings followers did, that's for sure, and that's fair enough, I have no gripe with that at all, I loved his "I have a dream speech", and if you knew more about Lennon, youd know he basically had little time for the media and interviews, as he was misquoted so often. Think poorly of him, whatever, we agree to disagree on him, so leave it there eh. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:29 pm

MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE TOPIC, BEFORE THIS GETS TO THE VPT AND GETS LOST IN NEVER NEVER LAND-

AT LEAST Jamie Elliots "flag" comment, show the players are still confident of success, and have their hopes high, nothing wrong with that, at all, beat the Crows, grab a finals spot, beat an out of form opponent in first Final, and who knows how far we can go eh. ?!

Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE TOPIC, BEFORE THIS GETS TO THE VPT AND GETS LOST IN NEVER NEVER LAND-

AT LEAST Jamie Elliots "flag" comment, show the players are still confident of success, and have their hopes high, nothing wrong with that, at all, beat the Crows, grab a finals spot, beat an out of form opponent in first Final, and who knows how far we can go eh. ?!

One week at a time, that's all ... Talk of flags after the belting Essendon handed us is shear lunacy. Plus our standard of footy has been that of a half decent under 10s side for the past two months.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:30 pm

^ Nah im tongue in cheek mate, we wont make the grannie, just want us to win at least one final, thatd be nice, then really, really reload for a huge pre season, the draft, and a big next year.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:39 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Defender wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Well genius, he did march in many, many peace demos, and he did have a huge file with the FBI, thanks to his outspokenness and frankness, his leftist peace views, and by the way, the cameras rolled too everytime King made a speech, did he make dead sure too, I reckon his Kings followers did, that's for sure, and that's fair enough, I have no gripe with that at all, I loved his "I have a dream speech", and if you knew more about Lennon, youd know he basically had little time for the media and interviews, as he was misquoted so often. Think poorly of him, whatever, we agree to disagree on him, so leave it there eh. Idea

I'm more than happy to end this debate and agree to disagree.

You like this.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Now without Toovey today, I guess a win over the crows could be called a kinda MINI UPSET ?? Crows have a full list I think, so it will be a brave win if we can get up.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:48 pm

jackcass wrote:
Breadcrawl wrote:
Well I'm certainly stupider than I was ten minutes ago.

Thanks for that lads.

And cheaper than a lobotomy

Laughing Laughing

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Now without Toovey today, I guess a win over the crows could be called a kinda MINI UPSET ?? Crows have a full list I think, so it will be a brave win if we can get up.

Money has come for the cows now both @ $1.92

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: