Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies are still a chance in a year of upsets

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:54 pm
Post subject: Pies are still a chance in a year of upsetsReply with quote

If there was ever a year when a team out of the top 4 could snag a flag - this is it!

Swans are looking good atm - but I cannot recall a year where even the bottom 6 clubs are a chance of beating the top 6 like this year.

If we can make the 8 with some momentum... anything is possible! This is a year of upsets and I sense the finals will be no different. Of course we have a big challenge to make it with the next 2 weeks a huge test for a team out of form - however the bye has come at a great time and given our last game we can only go up with some more aggressive and attacking footy!

The year of the Horse is always known as a year of drama and surprises - 2002 and 1990 were the last 2 horse years... some others of note were 1966 and 1954!

derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Yin,
I love the optimism, and as a positive minded fan yep there is always a chance.

And if we were back in 1997 or 1998 i would readily agree.....however, with the way the ladder works now with the second chance staying in the top four. the reality is that unless you make the four, you are just too far back...and you have to play too many games. The killer really is a prelim....where you come up against a VERY good side...who have had a weeks break. In this age of sports science where recovery is everything....coming up against a rested well drilled side ah la Hawthorn..is just death.

Last edited by derkd on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:00 pm

We are no Chance at the Flag. The Swans are just about the Only team that can win.

Best I can see us going is making the Semi's

Flashman 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:16 pm

derkd wrote:
Hey Yin,
I love the optimism, and as a positive minded fan yep there is always a chance.

And if we were back in 1997 or 1998 i would readily agree.....however, with the way the ladder works now with the second chance staying in the top four. the reality is that unless you make the four, you are just too far back...and you have to play too many games. The killer really is a prelim....where you come up against a VERY good side...who have had a weeks break. In this age of sports science where recovery is everything....coming up against a rested well drilled side ah la Hawthorn..is just death.

All true but we came within a kick of beating the all conquering Geelong side in the 2007 PF with a team of kids, old greats and a fair smattering of hacks.

I know we didn't do it but that result says to me that it can be done if a team coming off a semi final win plays out of its skin against a top 4 side that is off its best or chokes.

It may mean making selections based purely on freshness instead of form with multiple ins and outs based on guys fit enough to provide 4 quarters of high intensity running. This is contingent on having a reserves team also playing finals and with multiple match fit and hardened players available.

Not saying it will be us (I'm not sure we'll even make the 8 this year) but I think a side outside the top 4 will flag again one day in the near future.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:52 pm

2007 the Pies were very close to beating the cats who were destroying teams... even recently the dominant and rested Hawks have had some very close prelims... Crows almost beat them in 2012.

2002 - we were not given a chance away against Port who were full of confidence - our team was probably lucky to make the top 4 and almost won the flag when the Lions were at their peak!

If a team is ever going to win from low in the 8... I hope it is the Pies this year - we need some of the young guys such as Thomas, Adams, Sidey, Kennedy, Witts and Beams to hit their straps and our young backs - Langdon, Marley, Seedsman, Keefe and Frost to play with flair and aggression. If Reid and White can provide some support to our forward guns Cloke and Elliot our fwd set up could be very damaging. I expect our more senior players Pendles, Tooves, H, Goldy etc will make a statement against the crow eaters to get the ball rolling!

Lots of ifs and a massive change is needed from our last month - but young players with confidence and the 'no fear' underdog status could do it!

Swans have had a great couple of months - but I sense a dip is coming... leaving this year wide open.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
We are no Chance at the Flag. The Swans are just about the Only team that can win.

Best I can see us going is making the Semi's

While I also believe the Swans are going to win it, I think that any team that is still in the finals are a chance. Only time they aren't a chance is when they've been knocked out.

Not that I do believe we're going to do much this season, or ever believed this, but there's still always a chance. Wink

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:06 pm
Post subject: Re: Pies are still a chance in a year of upsetsReply with quote

yin-YANG wrote:
If there was ever a year when a team out of the top 4 could snag a flag - this is it!

Swans are looking good atm - but I cannot recall a year where even the bottom 6 clubs are a chance of beating the top 6 like this year.

If we can make the 8 with some momentum... anything is possible! This is a year of upsets and I sense the finals will be no different. Of course we have a big challenge to make it with the next 2 weeks a huge test for a team out of form - however the bye has come at a great time and given our last game we can only go up with some more aggressive and attacking footy!

The year of the Horse is always known as a year of drama and surprises - 2002 and 1990 were the last 2 horse years... some others of note were 1966 and 1954!

Great work! so we should win the GF or lose by 9 points or less.

I'd take that!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:59 pm

I agree. At our best, we can still take any team (except for bloody Hawthorn). The only question is whether we can somehow get back to that level after five games a long way away from it.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:04 pm

I will be more than happy if we can beat the crows, make the eight, maybe win a final, and load up big for next season.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Win this one and get 6 percentage points and we'll be sitting just outside the top 4.

Given the recent dramatic changes to our line up and the necessary inclusion now of some long awaited VFL stars with fitness and keenness to prove themselves (and the unknown quantity they will present to opposition players and coaches), this Sunday is effectively the start of our season.

Be prepared for the unexpected.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:19 pm

My god Defender hasn't come along and ruined this thread yet!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:27 pm

We'd need to have no more injuries, and those with injuries would have to find form before finals, Scharonberg and Freeman included, Cloke would have to step it up, as would White, we'd need to dodge the Hawks, we'd to build chemistry between our best 22, and we'd need to sack Buckley now.

Do all those things and we can do it.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:14 pm

We won't win a flag until one of Witts or Grundy develops into an A grade ruckman. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
We won't win a flag until one of Witts or Grundy develops into an A grade ruckman. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

Arent we getting Stefan Martin ?

/

www.facebook/the hybernators
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:47 pm

3rd degree wrote:
My god Defender hasn't come along and ruined this thread yet!

Laughing GOLD!!

Mised by that much.... Twisted Evil Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9   

Jump to: