Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MH17

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

China censors the internet and media and from what I've read and heard over time good luck using google in China trying to find out something about Tiananmen Square.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:57 pm

David wrote:
John Pilger wrote:
We in the west are now backing neo-Nazis in a country where Ukrainian Nazis backed Hitler

Methinks John has spent a little too much time in front of Russia Today. Still, at least good to get some of the other side's propaganda to go along with the heavily pro-US propaganda in our own papers.

(by the way, calling the 'side' we're backing 'neo-Nazis' is like calling the Gillard government radical environmentalists because it happened to include a few Greens senators. In other words, it's complete bullshit.)

John Pilger wrote:
For the Germans, it is a poignant irony that Putin is the only leader to condemn the rise of fascism in 21st-century Europe.

*clears throat loudly*

Pilger... Forty years of taking any side opposed to that of the major world democracies, while living a very comfortable existence in, er.... London, under the protection of the freedom that he despises. Ugh.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:05 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
David wrote:
He's also a Russian and one of many—both at home and abroad—who are horrified by the current regime and the direction in general that the country is heading in. That may not make him an objective source, but certainly one who has a stake in the issue.

The fact is that Russian dissidents have been saying this stuff for years. We're only just beginning to listen because this culture and the conflict it have created has finally begun to affect us.

No doubt it is an authoritarian state with obvious fascist leanings. Putin likes to keep his black shirts at arms length for deniability but uses them in the suppression of minorities and dissidents when needed. The State takes care of the judicial punishment of such groups. Mafia state? That's just his view and misses its key features.

Meanwhile in Ukraine we have Svoboda (with ministers in the Government) and Right Sector pushing the same sort of fascist/authoritarian agenda as Putin from a Ukrainian angle. They have more in common with Putin than they like to portray.

What a mess!

Rocket, I agree that Svoboda are a pretty smelly bunch of customers, but they got 10% of the vote in the 2012 elections. That happens in a democracy, and they are a minor faction in the Ukrainian government as a result. But the more Ukrainian sovereignty is threatened by Putin's campaign of subordination and dismemberment, the more the likes of Right Sector and Svoboda will grow. So the best thing to do is to unequivocally back Ukraine's attempts to integrate with the EU, the one powerful democratic internationalist bloc in the region. In that regard, taking a stance that "they're all as bad as each other" seems to me the wrong course. The right course is to put firm pressure on Putin to recalculate.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/world/mh17-ukrainian-woman-allegedly-posts-selfie-using-mascara-looted-from-crash-site-20140726-zx723.html

Quote:
A young woman in eastern Ukraine has provoked outrage by allegedly posting a picture of herself on Instagram using a mascara wand looted from the crash site of Flight MH17.

Yekaterina Parkhomenko uploaded a photograph on Instagram of her hand holding the Catrice cosmetic with the caption: “Mascara from Amsterdam; to be precise, from the field. Well, you understand.”

But we shouldn't judge her...she lives in a war zone.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:39 pm

Joel wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/world/mh17-ukrainian-woman-allegedly-posts-selfie-using-mascara-looted-from-crash-site-20140726-zx723.html

Quote:
A young woman in eastern Ukraine has provoked outrage by allegedly posting a picture of herself on Instagram using a mascara wand looted from the crash site of Flight MH17.

Yekaterina Parkhomenko uploaded a photograph on Instagram of her hand holding the Catrice cosmetic with the caption: “Mascara from Amsterdam; to be precise, from the field. Well, you understand.”

It's insensitive and crass to be uploading a picture with attached comment like that given the circumstances but I wonder if this piece of makeup was lying randomly in a field or inside someones baggage?

If it was the former then I don't really see the need to demonize her because of it as it's not something that is specific to one individual like a digital camera might be with stored photos.

I have some sympathy towards any villagers/civilians "looting" in some circumstances as many live a life no where near as privileged as our existence and many would live in real poverty so I can understand the temptation.

Picking up a mascara or pair of shoes lying randomly in a field isn't the same as a rebel fighter rifling through someones luggage or going through the pockets of a dead victim.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:41 pm

It's not the object swoop, it's the action. I couldn't give a stuff what it was really, it's a disgrace. No excuses.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Joel wrote:

Quote:

It's insensitive and crass to be uploading a picture with attached comment like that given the circumstances but I wonder if this piece of makeup was lying randomly in a field or inside someones baggage?

If it was the former then I don't really see the need to demonize her because of it as it's not something that is specific to one individual like a digital camera might be with stored photos.

I have some sympathy towards any villagers/civilians "looting" in some circumstances as many live a life no where near as privileged as our existence and many would live in real poverty so I can understand the temptation.

Picking up a mascara or pair of shoes lying randomly in a field isn't the same as a rebel fighter rifling through someones luggage or going through the pockets of a dead victim.

Yes, in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime, this does not register. Daft kid, doing what daft kids do. I don't want to judge her beyond that.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Joel wrote:

Quote:

We shouldn't judge her because she lives in war zone - we should judge her because she is obviously as dumb as dog shite with no clues!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Joel wrote:

Quote:

We shouldn't judge her because she lives in war zone - we should judge her because she is obviously as dumb as dog shite with no clues!

Subtle, straightforward, accurate,

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:22 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Joel wrote:

Quote:

Subtle, straightforward, accurate,

She obviously needs counselling. We should send someone. I suggest Adam Goodes.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:30 pm

so, there is a theory being circulated that mh017 is actually mh370. if this is the case, what has happened to mh017?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 am

John Wren wrote:
so, there is a theory being circulated that mh017 is actually mh370. if this is the case, what has happened to mh017?

That's ridiculous to say the least.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever considering there were different passengers and how can a plane that hasn't been found and disappeared for months all of a sudden reappear with a full tank of petrol without anyone knowing?

If MH17 is really MH370, then I'm Clint Eastwood Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:51 am

John Wren wrote:

^ I wouldn't call that a theory so much as a poor joke. But then, there's always Poe's Law!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:39 am

Jezza wrote:
John Wren wrote:
so, there is a theory being circulated .....

Since when did ridiculous conspiracy theories have to make sense?

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:35 am

Jezza wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever considering there were different passengers and how can a plane that hasn't been found and disappeared for months all of a sudden reappear with a full tank of petrol without anyone knowing?

If MH17 is really MH370, then I'm Clint Eastwood Razz

People really are moronic (or just mentally unstable).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22   

Jump to: