Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MH17

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
Rubbish, just rubbish. You guys have just come out of Iraq and Afghanistan and you've forgotten about dumb intervention already.

FFS, stop this idiotic posting please. You are the one supporting "dumb intervention" here. David and Mugwump and I (and every other sane person on the planet) supports a STOP to the current intervention. "S" "T" "O" "P" STOP. It's not a hard word. Look it up if you don't understand it. That's what this is all about: putting a stop to the foreign military intervention which has caused all this trouble in the first place. And the way to do that is not with guns and aeroplanes, it is with money - specifically, our money. We stop giving it to Putin so that Putin and his goons stop invading other countries.

That will leave a hell of a complicated mess to clean up in Eastern Europe, but at least we will have the Russian goon squads and their murderous weapons out of the equation. That's a start, and it's a hell of a lot better than maintaining our current policy of appeasing the buggers, which only makes them do it again only twice as bad.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:10 pm

*Sigh* Can people please stop assigning me to certain positions? I have many disagreements with both your and Mugwump's argument, Tannin. I hardly think PTID is pro-occupation of Ukraine and I don't think it's terribly helpful to suggest he is.

As for me, if anyone's actually bothered to read my posts, I'm calling for a moderated response (that is, dialing down the aggression of America and its allies whilst not letting Putin off the hook); nothing more, nothing less. If that's "meaningless rhetoric", well, I dunno, let's talk about Britney Spears' latest album instead, because apparently that's all we're qualified to do.

Last edited by David on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Where did you get your disagreements with your and Mugwump's argument Tannin? I have a birthday on 2001.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:29 pm

David wrote:
*Sigh* Can people please stop assigning me to certain positions? I have many disagreements with both your and Mugwump's argument, Tannin. I hardly think PTID is pro-occupation of Ukraine and I don't think it's terribly helpful to suggest he is.

WTF are you crapping on about? Seriously, don't you even read your own posts?

David wrote:
I think there's real possibility for a cautious middle ground approach to this—one that both cracks down on Putin in a meaningful way without descending into the kind of damaging hysteria that the war hawks in America and elsewhere live for...... I'm very open to the idea of crippling sanctions, but they have to be appropriate and carried out with clear aims

In other words, ten minutes ago you agreed exactly with my view. Now you don't. WTF is up with that?

David wrote:
I hardly think PTID is pro-occupation of Ukraine and I don't think it's terribly helpful to suggest he is.

Again, read your own post from ten minutes ago.

David wrote:
I'll agree with Tannin on here is that inaction is a form of action.

PTID is violently in favour of inaction. As you yourself wrote ten minutes ago before you morphed into someone else, inaction is a form of action - in this case it amounts to blindly supporting Putiin's murderous cronies. Not making a choice is making a choice. PTID vehemently opposes anything which might make the situation better, ergo he by default supports making it worse (which is the do-nothing option). He can't have it both ways.

Now, whoever the hell you are, I think you better piss off quick before the real David discovers you have been posting using his handle.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 pm

David wrote:

As for me, if anyone's actually bothered to read my posts, I'm calling for a moderated response (that is, dialing down the aggression of America and its allies whilst not letting Putin off the hook); nothing more, nothing less. If that's "meaningless rhetoric", well, I dunno, let's talk about Britney Spears' latest album instead, because apparently that's all we're qualified to do.

OK, do you have a concept of what that might look like?

In your response, please consider what this response might be and what is the intended impact of the response. Also consider what the unintended consequences might be, not just the theoretical outcome.
Also consider that the US and Russia are protagonists from way back and that the USA is one of the few large countries game to stand up to them and so they are more outwardly critical. Most of Europe is shit frightened of them and acts accordingly.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Are you asking about my response consider what this response might be and what is the intended impact of the response?
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:20 pm

The thing is that, much like PTID, I just don't know. I'm inclined to support continuing sanctions as pretty much the only effective response, but I totally accept what you say about their potential negative consequences and inability to curb Putin's aggression in any meaningful way. Getting the EU more fully on board as Tannin suggests might be one way, but that's easier said than done; otherwise, we're left in a state of frustrated powerlessness and ineffective UN resolutions. Far from ideal, but the alternative may be a good deal worse.

What this situation requires most of all is courage and cool heads.

It should be noted, as I think Mugwump already has, that a year or two ago the world was faced with a much more urgent humanitarian crisis and far greater injustices in Syria and ended up essentially doing nothing. As far as I can tell—and I'm happy for someone to contradict me—they did the right thing. I don't say that lightly. And no, Tannin, that doesn't mean I was in favour of Assad's forces massacring civilians.

I would like to know what exactly we're doing about Israel right now, though. Probably a pat on the back and some gentle constructive criticism. Rolling Eyes

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 pm

No David, the world was NOT faced with a largely similar situation in Syria. There was no foreign aggressor nation trying to move in and take the place over at gunpoint. There was conflict between a terrible government and a rebel movement about which it's hard to generalise. We chose to ignore it and the result was terrible, not just for the people of Syria but also for Iraq, which has now been pretty much destroyed as a functioning state by a mad-dog movement growing out of that Syrian mess.

Should we have ignored it? I dunno. I didn't know then and I don't know now. I don't think anybody knows. The result we got was terrible, would it have been any better or any worse if we had done something differently? It's beyond my ability to answer that, maybe you can. I'm pretty sure that western troops on the ground would have been a disaster, beyond that I can't say.

One thing we did do there was lean on the Syrian government and say "any more gas warfare and you guys are in very deep shit". That worked, and full credit to the USA for its role there. That was a good intervention.

The situation in Eastern Europe is very different. there we have a clear aggressor nation beating up smaller countries. that has to stop. No ifs, no buts, it has to stop. And the people who have to stop it are the Europeans. Not the Americans, the Europeans. They have to grow a pair and do something practical. Sure, they should have the US standing behind them as a backstop, but it's up to the Europeans themselves to use their biggest and most powerful weapon to stop the aggression. It's called "money", and it can achieve amazing things. It's pretty simple, Mr Putin: you no stoppa da war, we no buya da oil. You makea da call.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:54 pm

All but 3 of the worlds major airlines have been skirting Eastern Ukraine for months.
Why do some airlines run the risk of flying over a war zone to save fuel as Malaysian has apparently been doing?
Malaysian announced today it will now fly over Syria instead.
None of this augers well for the future of the Airline.
If people believe the bean counters at Malaysian want to play Russian Roulette* with it's passengers lives, it just won't fly!

~ To misquote Oscar Wilde.
To lose 1 airliner full of ppl in mysterious circumstances is unfortunate.
To lose 2 in months is down-right reckless!

*pun belatedly noticed...oops.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:02 pm

3.14159 wrote:
All but 3 of the worlds major airlines have been skirting Eastern Ukraine for months.
Why do some airlines run the risk of flying over a war zone to save fuel as Malaysian has apparently been doing?
Malaysian announced today it will now fly over Syria instead.
None of this augers well for the future of the Airline.
If people believe the bean counters at Malaysian want to play Russian Roulette* with it's passengers lives, it just won't fly!

~ To misquote Oscar Wilde.
To lose 1 airliner full of ppl in mysterious circumstances is unfortunate.
To lose 2 in months is down-right reckless!

*pun belatedly noticed...oops.

I was looking at buying shares in Malaysian airlines, figuring that they can't go much lower so the only way is up. Bit of googling later doesn't look like a good idea, the government seems likely to retake full control one way or the other.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:03 pm

To be fair to Malaysia Airlines, it's not easy to avoid Ukraine, Syria, Iraq and Israel if you're travelling from South-East Asia to Western Europe. Obviously all precautions should be taken, but it's not as if there's an easy detour.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:04 pm

David wrote:
The thing is that, much like PTID, I just don't know. I'm inclined to support continuing sanctions as pretty much the only effective response, but I totally accept what you say about their potential negative consequences and inability to curb Putin's aggression in any meaningful way. Getting the EU more fully on board as Tannin suggests might be one way, but that's easier said than done; otherwise, we're left in a state of frustrated powerlessness and ineffective UN resolutions. Far from ideal, but the alternative may be a good deal worse.

It should be noted, as I think Mugwump already has, that a year or two ago the world was faced with a much more urgent humanitarian crisis and far greater injustices in Syria and ended up essentially doing nothing. As far as I can tell—and I'm happy for someone to contradict me—they did the right thing. I don't say that lightly. And no, Tannin, that doesn't mean I was in favour of Assad's forces massacring civilians.

I would like to know what exactly we're doing about Israel right now, though. Probably a pat on the back and some gentle constructive criticism. Rolling Eyes

I'm $£$%^%%$ telling ya David, send in the green berets, the seals, Bruce Willis, and the rock, kill em dead, wham bang thankYOU mam,

Hast ala vista baby, I be back

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:40 pm

There was a touching tribute in New Zealand before the Newcastle and Sydney FC friendly. The seats that the two Newcastle fans would have sat had been done up with a tribute flowers and a banner were on offer plus a moment of silence for those taken in the tragedy.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage

Last edited by The Prototype on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

I'm $£$%^%%$ telling ya David, send in the green berets, the seals, Bruce Willis, and the rock, kill em dead, wham bang thankYOU mam,

Hast ala vista baby, I be back

Why isn't Steven Seagull in any of the Expendables movies? Casey Ryeback, Navy Seal.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 pm

David wrote:
*Sigh* I have many disagreements with both your and Mugwump's argument, Tannin.

Oh, no - and you you were doing so well until then ! Smile

Last edited by Mugwump on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 13 of 22   

Jump to: