Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Some more news about Collingwood - Tanking

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:13 am
Post subject: Some more news about Collingwood - TankingReply with quote

i know the subject of tanking and whether collingwood should tank has been done to death, but i wanted to share with you all this development in the NBA because it shows that tanking is not something you can EVER stop unless you create a system that discourages it.

In the NBA as most peoiple know, they have a lottery for everyone that doesnt make the playoffs. All 15 of those teams have a chance to get the top 3 picks (usually thats where the franchise changing player will be drafted) and then you get rankec according to where you finish (i would say the AFL might consider a lottery for the top 10 and everyone outside the 8 would get a chance).

In the NBA, its currently a weighted lottery - so the worst team gets a 25% chance, second last a 20% chance, etc., down to 15th who has about a 0.1% chance of winning.

Even with this weighted system the NBA has been unable to stop tanking!!!

See below whivch shows that they are considering going to an equal weighting system to lessen the liklihood of the tank!.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/16/nba-draft-lottery-structure-change

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hard one that's for sure, I think we need some kind of lottery between the bottom 4, but that's where it should end, I don't think anyone would tank for a 5th pick, but nothing would surprise me now days.

Getting rid of the national champs would make things harder for tankers, really, who cares about the champs anyway? AFL scouts want to see players perform under structure, they don't get that with the Champs.

I also think it's a bit much to expect kids to travel the country whilst at school, for many of them anyway.

Loved how you managed to work us into the equation, WTF does this have to do with us?

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:58 am

Defender wrote:
It's a hard one that's for sure, I think we need some kind of lottery between the bottom 4, but that's where it should end, I don't think anyone would tank for a 5th pick, but nothing would surprise me now days.

Getting rid of the national champs would make things harder for tankers, really, who cares about the champs anyway? AFL scouts want to see players perform under structure, they don't get that with the Champs.

I also think it's a bit much to expect kids to travel the country whilst at school, for many of them anyway.

Loved how you managed to work us into the equation, WTF does this have to do with us?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

you have to drop the word collingwood in the thread these days or it gets banished to some other board that literally no one reads......

PS: the pies traded up from 10 to 6 to get scharenberg so there is clearly value there. Its just a question as you so as to whether a team would go to all that trouble to get from say 9 to 5. Probably depends on the makeup of the draft class.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:51 am

A team that is genuinely crap may never improve if they do poorly in the ballot.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:24 am

Does anyone really trust the AFL to run a lottery?
After Collingwood get shit picks ten years in a row will the penny drop?

Dont think we will get shafted think of the old zoning system and how two teams won about 13 premierships in a 20 year period.

Hint neither team was Collingwood

E 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
A team that is genuinely crap may never improve if they do poorly in the ballot.

As free agency continues to expand, they will have other options. i wonder how we really feel about the fact that we got scharenberg vs billings

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:55 am

neil wrote:
Does anyone really trust the AFL to run a lottery?
After Collingwood get shit picks ten years in a row will the penny drop?

Dont think we will get shafted think of the old zoning system and how two teams won about 13 premierships in a 20 year period.

Hint neither team was Collingwood

I agree. That zoning system that was supposed be reviewed by the VFL every two years. Funny how a small bunch of clubs who got the prime zones decided they never wanted those reviews or any changes to the zones: Hawthorn, Carlton etc. Yep Collingwood can keep the Western Border league which had half of the population never wanting to play VFL and sent their best talent to the SANFL. We were completely dudded with our country zone. It was close to useless for years.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:00 am

The system is there to be used. Use it. 10th Please.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Yeah,but if we come tenth that means that we only get a slightly higher second round pick because we've already commited to taking Darcy Moore as our first round pick.So where's the advantage in that?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:50 pm

The NBA lottery is rigged as rigged can be. I prefer a transparent system that can be gamed to a shadowy 'game' that can be rigged.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:06 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Yeah,but if we come tenth that means that we only get a slightly higher second round pick because we've already commited to taking Darcy Moore as our first round pick.So where's the advantage in that?

Finish low enough and it increases the chances that teams below us won't bid for Moore in the father-son bidding process meaning we could get him for a 2nd round pick. Means we could effectively get 2x very high draft picks... just saying!
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Do we need to stop "tanking"?

Deliberately losing games, sure. But crap teams sending injured players off for surgery early or discarding older players and playing kids, what's wrong with it? All they're doing is preparing for next year, and if their current season is done, why should we be stopping them? It's what they need to do to get better. Continuing to play guys who won't be there next year while their younger players, who are their future, are wallowing in the reserves just holds them back further.

To do any of the above you already need to be crap. So, it just means that the crap teams are being compensated with early picks. That's exactly how the draft is meant to work. It's not as if good teams are deliberately dropping down the ladder.

The only problem with "tanking" is that you may get some uncompetitive games, not such a big problem, really, and not a guaranteed one.

And it's less of a problem in the AFL than most sports (certainly the NBA, where one player can transform a team). With so many players on the field, one doesn't make all of the difference. Tanking was more of a problem when we were giving away an extra pick, but now it's really not an issue.

Last edited by AN_Inkling on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:40 pm

never understood the worry about tanking.

success comes with smart recruiting, list management, development, coaching and culture

You dont need high draft picks to be successful. look recently at GEE, HAW, SYD, FRE. have a looks at teams who bottomed out in last 10yrs ie CAR, MEL, RICH, how are they travelling?

NBA is a lot different, as acquiring young talent carries more weight due to team size and potential to trade high picks for elite players. Even so, look at the top teams in the NBA - SAS, MIA, IND, DAL, HOU. These teams get assembled by good front offices.

Every NBA team gets pieces. Its all about how they are managed.

Anyway, If AFL teams tank to move up a few spots in the draft, of course its not perfectly fair but I don't see it as a big deal.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
never understood the worry about tanking.

success comes with smart recruiting, list management, development, coaching and culture

You dont need high draft picks to be successful. look recently at GEE, HAW, SYD, FRE. have a looks at teams who bottomed out in last 10yrs ie CAR, MEL, RICH, how are they travelling?

NBA is a lot different, as acquiring young talent carries more weight due to team size and potential to trade high picks for elite players. Even so, look at the top teams in the NBA - SAS, MIA, IND, DAL, HOU. These teams get assembled by good front offices.

Every NBA team gets pieces. Its all about how they are managed.

Anyway, If AFL teams tank to move up a few spots in the draft, of course its not perfectly fair but I don't see it as a big deal.

Don't have to tell Wolves fans that Sad
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Culprit wrote:
The system is there to be used. Use it. 10th Please.

I honestly think we'll finish tenth without even trying to tank. Have a look at our remaining games. If we win two of them we'll be lucky.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: