Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Unoffical Cheer Squad And Offical Cheer Squad

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 3:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the club didn't have anything organised for the Collingwood cheer squad during the ansett cup, like ticket allocations etc and that was one of the reasons for the ansett cup.

I don't take much notice of the cheer "squads", because I don't really care about them, I'm there to watch the football. Afterall I don't thin the actual team gets spurred on by a little cheersquad, it is spurred on by the crowd as a whole. And no I aren't in the cheersquad.

------------------
CARN THE PIES!!!!!
Collingwood is all about togetherness. "We live or die as a side," Buckley said. "Everything we do now is as a team."
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 6:47 pm

The great thing about this year is that the whole crowd is starting to chant. The Official Cheer Squad has become quite irrelevant. I think their days are numbered, personally. Last year they really lost the plot.
At the 1998 A.G.M. we elected a guy called Mick to take over from Jethro as chant leader, but half the time Mick didn't even turn up. Jethro finished up leading the chanting most weeks. What little chanting there was! It was very weak. I got fed up with it all and decided to give the cheer squad the flick this year.

I haven't missed the cheer squad a bit. I'm having a ball trying to re-educate the stuff-shirts in the Legends section in the noble art of chanting. And it seems to be working. Quite often the chanting seems to break out spontaneously. It's beautiful. Especially when it all comes together like it did in the last 5 or 10 minutes on Friday night.

Who needs "official" cheer squads. Start your own. I'm looking forward to the day when the entire Collingwood crowd is just one BIG cheer squad.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 10:49 am

Hey, I'm not in the cheersquad but I do know Jethro. He loves Collingwood and would do anything for Collingwood so don't knock him. He is really a great bloke.
Anyway Aldandrews, that was kinda my point whats the worry about the official or unnoffical cheersquads when all that matters is the crowd as a whole.

------------------
CARN THE PIES!!!!!
Collingwood is all about togetherness. "We live or die as a side," Buckley said. "Everything we do now is as a team."
Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 3:52 pm

My name is Christian from Berwick and Im one of the leaders of the Unofficial cheer squad, i would like to have a go at the 2 bandwgoners who have short memories. last year the unoffical cheer squad turned up to every game, and last year we were the only ones to start chants and getting the crowd making some noise, now that we start winning games you guys come out under your rock and start bagging us. Well go and get stuffed we dont need supporters like you, so and "follow" the Kangaroos, they have alot of bandwagons like you there, and where were you last year, were you too imbarresed to show who you support you guttless pricks.
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 4:37 pm

Hey Joel, I wasn't knocking Jethro. At least he turned up and tried to get some chanting happening.

I was knocking Mick. He was voted in as chant leader and half the time he wasn't there.

------------------
**floreat pica**

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 5:01 pm

Hey, Christian from Berwick.

Go and take your medication.

I'm not sure who were referring to as the "2 bandwagoners", but if I was one of them I'd like to put you straight on a couple of points.

For one thing I wasn't even talking about the "unofficial cheer squad". I was talking about the Collingwood Official Cheer Squad, of which I was a member last year and the year before.

And I strongly resent the suggestion that I am a "bandwagoner". I've got membership medallions from 1997, 1998 and 1999 to prove the point. Since I moved to Melbourne just before the 1997 season I have not missed a Collingwood match in Melbourne and I've been to Sydney twice and Adelaide five times.

So, get your facts straight.

And I've never been ashamed of Collingwood. Even when we were rock bottom, I was there with my loud voice and my two scarves making a fool of myself for the black and whites.

And if that's what you were doing too, Christian, then good luck to you.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2000 3:34 am

Christian who in hell are you calling bandwagoners? Get Stuffed fool. Where and why did this come from? Firstly if I had been able to get to the footy every week last year and the year before I would have gone every week, (I want old enoguh, and it was very hard to get up there). Now this year, I've been to every game at the MCG...inlcuding the Hawthorn game (that us before we were on the streak). I am becoming a member as soon as I get enough money to. Now again I ask what provoked the attack? We weren't knocking the "unnoffical cheer squad" we were merely discussing that we should be concentrating on the support of the whole crowd instead of concentrating on two groups. Don't just come to this board and spout off bullshit without knowing the people here first, and their opinions. Go back to Berwick because your misguided opinions are not wanted here.

------------------
CARN THE PIES!!!!!
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2000 3:39 am

Also if you actually new me and had ever spoken to me, you would see that I'm not a so called "bandwagoner". During my life (pretty short life) I have basically seen NO success but I've stuck through with Collingwood all the way, while some so called Collingwood supporters friends of mine defected to other teams like Essendon. Go jump mate and get your facts straight!

------------------
CARN THE PIES!!!!!
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2000 7:15 am

It is the responsibility of every Collingwood barracker to actually barrack. I do not know where the official squad is half the time at the NMO (old MCG), but you can always see the unofficial squad, behind the Ponsford end goals (where I sit). I've been in Melbourne, and coming to games for the last four years, and they have always been visible (and if you are close enough, audible). Last year it was a relief knowing that they would be there every week regardless of how many games we had lost.

During round 3, on a golden Sunday afternoon, it was bliss to see the Unofficial Magpie squad give it to the Official Carlton squad. Our people got led out laughing by the police (assumably for continual bad language, surely they can not toss you out just for stirring the opposition supporters), but the stupid Carlton people fought against the police on their way out (presumably for vehemently responding to taunts).

Anyway, this year, I have strained my throat from belting out our theme song and a few others in the first five games. I should have done a longer pre-season, maybe gone to a few cricket games and a few practice matches. I have been steadfastly trying to keep the throat wet throughout the game, but this is only resulting in hangovers the next morning as well as a sore throat. I could not even raise a few choruses of "we're black, we're white" on the walk back to the city after the game on Friday. I have had a quiet weekend, in the hope that, on Sunday, Carey will hear me tell him "to grow a cow's c*nt in his forehead, so a bull can f*ck some sense in to him".

Keep barracking. HOT PIES!
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2000 12:31 pm

Greg j,
I think you're getting the UNOFFICIAL cheersquad mixed up with the OUTER cheersquad coz we were stiing next to the Carlton cheersquad fighting with them in round 3 while the unofficial cheersquad were sitting up on the third or fourth level. Not that it matters anyway both cheersquads are there every week doing a mighty fine job!

#8 RoCkS
Go RiCkY!

Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2000 10:26 am

To Joel if you are what you say you are then good luck to you, Collingwood needs supporters like you but as a leader of the Unoffical we are getting sick and tired of people who are only turning up to games now we are winning and saying that we dont need cheersquads to get the crowds going, because if it wasnt for us trust me the games would be boring. Even the days when we get thrown out for singing the "Dago Blues" song it still gets the crowds going. It would also would be a good idea if you stop writing that line from bucks, it gets boring.

I would like to agree with Spidergirl, The Outer Cheer sqaud sits in the Ponsford, we are the Unofficial and we sit in the Southern stand Greg J, please do not Insult us again.

Christian from Berwick.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2000 2:35 pm

To Christian,
Mate if I could have ever got to games in the past I would of. (i dont think you were talking to me but)I wasn't saying that we don't really need the "unnofficial" cheer squad, what I was saying was that we shouldn't need to rely on the cheer squads to get the crowd going. But I think it is great because I know without you or any other cheersquads then chants would simply not get going.

------------------
CARN THE PIES!!!!!
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2000 5:55 am

I've already made my feelings about Christian from Berwick known in my reply to his cowardly and dishonest personal attack on me in another thread.

If Christian (from you know where) had a brain he would be dangerous.

I must admit, I had a bit of a chuckle the first time I heard them singing "Dago Blues". For a brief moment I let my hatred of Carlton over-ride my basic human decency. For that I repent.

I don't know what they put in the water supply at Berwick. Is everybody out there in far eastern suburbia as racist as Christian. How utterly inappropriate that this pathetic piece of humanity was given the name "Christian".

Christian, you are a disgrace to humanity. Change your name to "Hitler from Berlin".

------------------
**floreat pica**

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2000 11:29 am

Christian,

I really wasn't about to comment on the "Dago Blues" jibe. But, since the other dudes have brought it up. I am going to put my 2 bob in.

You are an absolute racist prick. Why don't you go back to Stalag 17. We live in a multicultural society. If you think something like that is humorous - good luck to you. But keep it to your ****ing self.

As It has been mentioned Collingwood has players of many nationalities, not to mention indigenous. There is no place for people like you in our society. It pains me to say this to you - IF you are a Collingwood Supporter. Unfortunatley we have good people and BAD people who support the Pies. What sort of suporter are YOU ???? X(

------------------
Collingwood Forever !
Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com
www.netspace.net.au/~clemo
Dillo 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 9:11 am

Well it has been an interesting read on this rainy saturday afternoon. Listening to everybody give their opinions and bag each other!!
I just want to pass on some information to all of you that may enlighten you as to why there is three core groups of supporters who all call themselves Cheer Squads.
Firstly a little of my history so that you all know its not shit that I am talking
1. Collingwood Official Cheer Squad member since 1985.
2. Committee member 89, Secretary 90, President 91, Secretary till April 92.
3. Social club member 8 years.

Firstly I would like to say that the main reason why there was a divide between the cheer squads is ALCOHOL.
During 1989/1990 the cheer squad made the responsible decision to ban the consumption of alcohol in its immediate vicinity on match days. Prior to this as well the levels of drinking within the cheer squad was deliberatly reduced. The main reason for the cheer squad making this policy was to change the public's perception of not only ourselves but of all cheer squads. We wanted to create a family atmosphere where mum and dad were happy to let their young children sit with us knowing that they would be safe and looked after. These kids were the future of the cheer squad and we wanted to encourage them to come along and get involved.
Another area that we decided to focus on at the same time was the run through at each game. The consistent construction of magnificent run throughs week in, week out, over the 88-91 period were unrivalled in their time (and i dare say since).
All of these decisions seemed to upset a number of people as we asked them to abide by our "Dry Area" rules. Of course they were fully within their rights to do this. I am not saying every one involved is a drunk at the football but some people just want to drink themselves into a stupor, which did not encourage new memberships from children and their parents.

I agree that the current Official Cheer Squad is lacking in some areas and may have been guilty of bad management in recent times. Also the club has increased their involvement with the cheer squad in recent times and have restricted the way they operate as a business unit of the Collingwood FC, which has affected them.

If I had the time in my life I would be back there putting in the long hours behind the scenes to improve the way they do things. Unfortunatly I cant. I think a lot of people really dont know the amount of time and effort that goes into running the cheer squad. I remember in the years that I was Secretary and president I was working a 45 hour week and spending another 40+ hours each week doing things for the club and the cheer squad. Every night after work I was at the club and the free day on the weekend I could also usually be found doing something that related to the cheer squad or football club. Those of you who bag those who are running the cheer squad, ask yourself one question - "How much time do I devote to working, voluntarily, for my club?"

So as a few of you have suggested, all three groups should get together and create a force that all other clubs are envious of. Great Idea, but ultimatly it is a pipe dream as all three groups have different idea's on how a day at the football should be enjoyed.

Therefore what I suggest is that all three continue to do what they do best but also that they support each others efforts to encourage our boys when they are playing, without getting into petty primary school arguments about the merits of the others.

But, in doing this there is one thing that all people involved in all three groups MUST recognise - that, as members of the Collingwood Football Club, their actions, whatever they may be, reflect back on the club. Be those actions good or bad they reflect!! So I ask you all as fellow Collingwood supporters to unite, forget petty jealousy's or hatred and do your football club proud in the way that you conduct yourselves as a Collingwood suppoter.

Go Pies!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dillo (edited 20 May 2000).]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: